Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR-HNL CPU chances? (not a CPU eligble route)

Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

I'm finally back to gold status this year (used to many FF flights in the past). Wondering for anyone that has done this route, how successful you were with courtesy upgrades. I'm flying out on a Monday and back on a Friday in April
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but the only courtesy upgrades will be in the unlikely event of oversale. Otherwise they'll require your miles or money for any upgrades on that route.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l#region-chart
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by distrips
I'm finally back to gold status this year (used to many FF flights in the past). Wondering for anyone that has done this route, how successful you were with courtesy upgrades. I'm flying out on a Monday and back on a Friday in April
There are no courtesy upgrades (CPU'S) on that route. You must use miles and money or PlusPoints to upgrade. If it's any consolation, the chances on a CPU upgrade for a Gold to Hawaii is pretty low even during these times and almost 0% pre-COVID. Sorry.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:55 pm

The EWR HNL route does not qualify for complimentary upgrades. To upgrade for this route you will need to use Plus Points or miles (copay may apply).
Old Jan 6, 2021, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I forget that some routes don't qualify.

Originally Posted by fumje
Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but the only courtesy upgrades will be in the unlikely event of oversale. Otherwise they'll require your miles or money for any upgrades on that route.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l#region-chart
Thanks...I good reminder I need to fly into SNA not LAX this year too!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 6, 2021 at 11:00 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Jan 6, 2021, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks...I good reminder I need to fly into SNA not LAX this year too!
It's unlikely to matter. EWR-SNA is (again, in normal times) another of the toughest upgrades in the system.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Wondering for anyone that has done this route, how successful you were with courtesy upgrades...
It's a route that is actually fairly difficult to upgrade with Plus Points or miles. As a Gold, in the past you'd typically be low in the upgrade queue. It remains to be seen how traffic (and front cabin demand) rebounds once the flight starts up again. Best chance for PP/mileage upgrades are going to be the off-days for travel to/from Hawaii which are typically Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - it is possible to make this route CPUable, i.e. adding stops. But the biggest problem is as a UA Gold, the chance of upgrading a HNL route is practically slim to none. Even GS/1K may not get CPUed.

You want F? Pay is the only way.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:06 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
Feb flights EWR-HNL were pulled today. Just like Jan. 😩
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - it is possible to make this route CPUable, i.e. adding stops. But the biggest problem is as a UA Gold, the chance of upgrading a HNL route is practically slim to none. Even GS/1K may not get CPUed.

You want F? Pay is the only way.
Multiple stops, to be clear. The only CPU-eligible routes to Hawaii originate from SFO and LAX, but the EWR-SFO/LAX transcons are not CPU eligible. So one would have to fly EWR-DEN/ORD/IAH-LAX/SFO-Hawaii to have a shot at CPUs for the entire itinerary. Whether any of those CPUs clear is a totally different story.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by saccoNY
Feb flights EWR-HNL were pulled today. Just like Jan. 😩
No surprise there. Not returning anytime soon.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
No surprise there. Not returning anytime soon.
You can likely plot the schedule against the rolling 7-day infection rate as a placeholder for local restrictions.

I would not bother looking at April travel to HNL until 30 days out. Maybe the frequency is reinstated and maybe the pricing is decent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.