Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 1:54 pm

Cleared at T-71:59 for ORD-LGA on Thursday as a Plat.

Thanks to my higher status (never been higher than Gold before) and my distinct lack of ORD-SFO flights this year, I'm actually doing pretty well at CPUs (plus one RPU that I probably didn't need to use because I likely would have CPUed that one, too). Probably hovering around approximately 50% for the year, vs. my one or two per year, total from my days as a Silver & Gold.

Edit:

7/12, per my quick check of UA history:

ORD-PDX 20JAN
ORD-DEN 11FEB
ONT-DEN 12FEB
DEN-ORD 12FEB
YEG-DEN 01MAR
ORD-SEA 21APR
ORD-LGA 09MAY
Old May 7, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K; AC 50K; Marriott Titanium
ORD-ANC May/7 10:25am
2 open seats in J, upgrade list had 9 passengers and also confirmed 2 open seats (not blocked).

I was third on the list so didn't say anything. First time I see this hapenning, is it common?
​​​
Old May 11, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
4/6 as 1K so far this year.

ORD-PHX (739)
PHX-SFO (739)
YYZ-SFO (319)
SFO-CLE (739)

RPU success is non-existent.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kiloohm
ORD-ANC May/7 10:25am
2 open seats in J, upgrade list had 9 passengers and also confirmed 2 open seats (not blocked).

I was third on the list so didn't say anything. First time I see this hapenning, is it common?
​​​
You mean the seats flew empty? That's a GA fail. Not common.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
CPU rates have been good this year. April clearance:

4/10 SAN-SFO
4/10 SFO-LAS
4/15 LAS-LAX
4/15 LAX-SAN
4/24 SAN-LAX
4/24 LAX-SAN

5/9 SFO-LAS
5/13 LAX-SAN

My January, February and March flights all cleared (CPUs) and my RPU SAN-ORD in March cleared

After Monday (waiting on LAS-LAX to clear) rest of my flights through end of July are TATL and TPAC flights and most GPUs have cleared (except waiting on SFO-SYD on a Friday night, SFO-FRA from PP and SFO-ORD to clear). Also, waiting on a RPU to clear on LAX-EWR red eye.

My CPU clearance rate on short hops has been stellar this year.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I cleared into the last F seat (12F A320) on an EWR-BOS flight at T-30 hours. My experience is they usually leave one or two open until flight time, so was very surprised to get it, even as a GS.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
CPU rates have been good this year. April clearance:

4/10 SAN-SFO
4/10 SFO-LAS
4/15 LAS-LAX
4/15 LAX-SAN
4/24 SAN-LAX
4/24 LAX-SAN

5/9 SFO-LAS
5/13 LAX-SAN

My January, February and March flights all cleared (CPUs) and my RPU SAN-ORD in March cleared

After Monday (waiting on LAS-LAX to clear) rest of my flights through end of July are TATL and TPAC flights and most GPUs have cleared (except waiting on SFO-SYD on a Friday night, SFO-FRA from PP and SFO-ORD to clear). Also, waiting on a RPU to clear on LAX-EWR red eye.

My CPU clearance rate on short hops has been stellar this year.
5/13 LAS-LAX cleared at T-24
Old May 12, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
IAD-LAX on May 12.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
5/13 LAS-LAX cleared at T-24
I have had good luck on my trips in and out of SAN from SFO this year but I did have to do SDC's to get them on at least two occasions and upgrades were always at the gate. SFO-LAS-SFO I have had zero upgrades now on two trips. Doesn't help going on Thurs/Fri and returning on Sunday/Mon. Did get CPU from SFO-SLC-SFO. Surprising I didn't clear on a MFR-SFO run on a Monday AM last Feb. My SFO-LAX runs have been a little less than 50% now as GS. Almost zero last year as 1K. Longer hauls this year I have had next to no CPUs admittedly some routes are were not even CPU eligible (SFO-EWR, SFO-BOS). I did get a CPU on a DEN-SFO run doing a SDC also SDC'ed into a CPU on last weeks SEA-SFO trip.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
SFO - SBA last night had poor weather as most SFO people realize. My 8:45pm CRJ-200 was pushed back to a midnight departure, but was able to change to the 10:45pm ERJ-175. Once I confirmed it, got an email only about 2 min later showing I had been upgraded.

As a Gold, I was the only one showing upgraded for the next few hours. Finally at boarding they cleared 7 more people, possibly all Silvers.

As a side note, the SLO flight next to me got pushed back to a 2:30am departure. Felt bad for them, tough night at the airport
Old May 17, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Second time shut down on SFO-IAD-SFO CPUs. Nephew had his last 3 RTs in and out of IAD from SFO not clear. Both with GS status. Last trip on Wed PM when they called GS I counted about 13 board with me. I am convinced this route is yet another one on the now lengthy list of "elite heavy" flights out of (and back) SFO that CPUs are unlikely. A few GS and 1K next to me commented on the number of "elites" on the flight as they settled into there E+ seats. I saw people jump over me on the upgrade list that figuring they applied an instrument. Next trips into Washington area will apply instrument for at least a shot at upgrade, would suggest this to others as well.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Well, my 100% CPU rate is officially dead

Unsurprisingly, I missed badly on a Thursday afternoon MSP-DEN on a 320, which was J4 23 days out. Died at #7 and rode it out in 7F.. can concur that those gray slimlines are pretty uncomfortable! Followed it up with a 739 segment in 5B which was much better, despite many assertions to the contrary.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
I am convinced this route is yet another one on the now lengthy list of "elite heavy" flights out of (and back) SFO that CPUs are unlikely.
No offense, but that's not news

Has been one of the very most difficult routes, even with an instrument, for years.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
Unsurprisingly, I missed badly on a Thursday afternoon MSP-DEN on a 320, which was J4 23 days out.
I dunno. On a Thursday afternoon, spoke-to-hub flight, I would have thought your chances were decent (then again, J4, so ...). That said, I either try to avoid A320s because of the small F cabin or I just go in assuming that my CPU won't clear (which is usually OK because it's typically a flight with a duration of ~1 hour).

UDied at #7 and rode it out in 7F.
I've starting sitting in the exit rows instead of row 7 on most planes. I'd rather not sit quite so close to F when I don't clear the upgrade list. Does anyone else do this?

Followed it up with a 739 segment in 5B which was much better, despite many assertions to the contrary.
Just curious: was this also a spoke-to-hub flight?
Old May 20, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iapetus
I dunno. On a Thursday afternoon, spoke-to-hub flight, I would have thought your chances were decent (then again, J4, so ...). That said, I either try to avoid A320s because of the small F cabin or I just go in assuming that my CPU won't clear (which is usually OK because it's typically a flight with a duration of ~1 hour).
RM seems to agree on MSP routes, but sold 8/12 more than 3 weeks out was a known hopeless scenario.

It booked full about 6 days out and there was one battlefield upgrade and assume some instruments or 1K on higher fares.

I've starting sitting in the exit rows instead of row 7 on most planes. I'd rather not sit quite so close to F when I don't clear the upgrade list. Does anyone else do this?
I am a window person, so sitting over the wing is largely a no-go for me. I'll take 21 C/D if nothing else decent is around, but still have a strong Row 7 preference and will usually take 8 or 9 over the exit row. I usually ensure I am in F for flights long enough for me to really care, so proximity to what I'm "missing out on" doesn't really bother me. On MSP-DEN, I suppose they got their pretzels in a shinier package, but really what else is good on a snack basket flight?

Just curious: was this also a spoke-to-hub flight?
Fairly lightly booked Friday afternoon DEN-LAX. They invited "our six 1K flyers" to board, so I guess it was elite-light as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.