Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Ended up getting upgraded at T-24 in the end. Naturally, I was not assigned an A seat.
Agh - I was afraid that was going to be the case. Either that or the gate upgrades is what's happening on all of those express flights. As with other IT issues, I'm sure it's a non-priority for them to fix. I'll report back on my EWR-ATL later this week.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just had an odd CPU clearance experience. I booked a ticket late last night in refundable "U" class. I was within the 96 hour window but not at the 72 hour window yet (it was somewhere around T-87 hours). 14 minutes after ticketing the first segment CPU'd and about 4 hours after ticketing the second segment CPU'd. I didn't think UA ran "off" hour CPUs before the 24 hour mark. I'll also note that both flights were PN0 PZ0 at booking, but I know PZ space isn't a good indicator of whether a CPU will occur or not.

-RM
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just had an odd CPU clearance experience. I booked a ticket late last night in refundable "U" class. I was within the 96 hour window but not at the 72 hour window yet (it was somewhere around T-87 hours). 14 minutes after ticketing the first segment CPU'd and about 4 hours after ticketing the second segment CPU'd. I didn't think UA ran "off" hour CPUs before the 24 hour mark. I'll also note that both flights were PN0 PZ0 at booking, but I know PZ space isn't a good indicator of whether a CPU will occur or not.

-RM
I'm off to play the lotto. The return segments just cleared at exactly T-96 (to the minute). Both flights were J4..P2 (no PN/PZ open) and I cleared on both. A 1K on a "U" fare _may_ be next in line but I have a hard time believing that.

I think the refundable fare part is having an effect. I have no confirmation of my hypothesis though. (And, yes, it's entirely possible they open the PZ class right before CPU runs just like they do for international upgrades that process overnight).

-RM
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm off to play the lotto. The return segments just cleared at exactly T-96 (to the minute). Both flights were J4..P2 (no PN/PZ open) and I cleared on both. A 1K on a "U" fare _may_ be next in line but I have a hard time believing that.

I think the refundable fare part is having an effect. I have no confirmation of my hypothesis though. (And, yes, it's entirely possible they open the PZ class right before CPU runs just like they do for international upgrades that process overnight).

-RM
Congrats. However, I'm dubious refundable has any significance. I got another! T-96h0m CPU on a G fare. It also seems to me they may run CPU with PZ0 almost a a matter of course now. In fact, and this was obviously a mistake, I also recently got a CPU (judging from email) with RPU waitlisted.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
My first trip as a newly minted 1K, LGA-IAH-ABQ on a Friday night and back ABQ-ORD-LGA on Saturday. Would previously have been AA all the way but sick of their performance and BA’s surcharges so diversified

IAH-ABQ an easy clear at 96hours (E75 so frankly not a bad seat on the plane)
LGA-IAH at checkin (320)

return was on small cabin planes (CR7 and 319) so both at the gate. But 4/4

obviously not IAD-SFO and not the busiest days but not too bad
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
SAN-LAX on Sunday, 3/24. #2 on upgrade list, #1 cleared and tool the last seat before I got to the airport, fully sold in both cabins, stand by list, but not all 1st class had checked in. A few minutes before boarding got called up and got the seat. I was king of the world for the 15 minute flight! :-)

While on the plane, got notification that my upgrade for Tuesday 3/26 MRY-LAX had cleared (pretty far in advance!). My assumption is that they oversold coach and moved me up to free up my e+ seat.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
CPUs last week

I was 2/3 last week. The shortest one, IAD-EWR, did not clear on Monday morning (8:30 departure). It was A320 aircraft. I always got CPU on HKG-GUM (B737-700); this was also true last week, cleared at T-36 h. I cleared the upgrade on DTW-IAD (CR7) immediately after same day change. In fact, I was the only 1K (no GS) on this plane.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:27 pm

Both I (platinum) and the Mrs. (gold) were upgraded on award flights LAX-LAS on a Sunday morning, and LAS-ORD on a Wednesday evening red eye. No dice for either of us on KOA-LAX with lie flats on a Saturday night red eye, or ORD-DCA on an early Thursday morning.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abaheti
SAN-LAX on Sunday, 3/24. #2 on upgrade list, #1 cleared and tool the last seat before I got to the airport, fully sold in both cabins, stand by list, but not all 1st class had checked in. A few minutes before boarding got called up and got the seat. I was king of the world for the 15 minute flight! :-)

While on the plane, got notification that my upgrade for Tuesday 3/26 MRY-LAX had cleared (pretty far in advance!). My assumption is that they oversold coach and moved me up to free up my e+ seat.
You got a 48-hour CPU which is the normal gold window (which is what your profile says you are - UA Gold). It wasn't "early"?! Sunday to Tuesday is 2 days or 48 hours.

-RM
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
You got a 48-hour CPU which is the normal gold window (which is what your profile says you are - UA Gold). It wasn't "early"?! Sunday to Tuesday is 2 days or 48 hours.

-RM
Within the official window, but as a lowly Gold my experience is that if they come at all they don't come until pretty close to flight time or at the airport, so I was surprised. Got another 45 minutes of upgraded flight time, so no complaints....
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abaheti
Within the official window, but as a lowly Gold my experience is that if they come at all they don't come until pretty close to flight time or at the airport, so I was surprised. Got another 45 minutes of upgraded flight time, so no complaints....
Still really seems to depend on the day. Last year as a Gold I cleared two cross country flights, MCO-LAX, BOS-LAX at check in 24 hours in advance. I cleared a third cross country flight, LAX-BOS at the gate. Those were Tuesday and Saturday flights.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
I was upgraded this week on flights out of DEN, EWR, and SFO this week at 96 hours. The weird thing was when I went to the website to select seats the display was indicating that F was full, flight status was showing as many as 9 empty seats.

Another anomaly was that in one case the flight status seat map was showing only one empty F seat but flight booking was listing J4
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:11 pm

Interesting CPU experience to share:

A few weeks ago I was in LA for a conference and had booked a one-way Aeroplan award to DTW to visit my relatives in Canada. The ticket consisted of entirely UA operated flights (a red-eye LAX > IAD segment and a morning IAD > DTW segment). After booking the flight, I added the itinerary to my UA account, as I'm Gold and wanted to access my Gold benefits (i.e. lounge access @ LAX & IAD, E+ seating, etc.).Interestingly, the UA website listed both segments were eligible for a Complimentary Upgrade in spite of them being in booked in X (award class). I thought nothing of it initially. Fast forward to T-2 days and to my surprise I receive an email from UA informing me that my IAD > DTW segment cleared (it's was on a CRJ and only had 2 pax in F). While the LAX > IAD flight didn't clear as it was one of those flights where F was booked solid and my name was number 14 on the UG list at the gate), it was still nice to have at least one segment clear.

One other thing to add, while it wasn't the most luxurious flight I've flown on UA, it was nice to see that they got the little touches right (i.e. the FA addressed me by name and politely asked what I would like from the snack basket).

All in all a good experience and something I will keep in mind the next time I consider using Aeroplan or UA miles to book UA metal flights! I'd be interested to learn whether GPU/RPUs can be applied to award flights with awards issued by UA or its partners.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Interesting CPU experience to share:

A few weeks ago I was in LA for a conference and had booked a one-way Aeroplan award to DTW to visit my relatives in Canada. The ticket consisted of entirely UA operated flights (a red-eye LAX > IAD segment and a morning IAD > DTW segment). After booking the flight, I added the itinerary to my UA account, as I'm Gold and wanted to access my Gold benefits (i.e. lounge access @ LAX & IAD, E+ seating, etc.).Interestingly, the UA website listed both segments were eligible for a Complimentary Upgrade in spite of them being in booked in X (award class). I thought nothing of it initially. Fast forward to T-2 days and to my surprise I receive an email from UA informing me that my IAD > DTW segment cleared (it's was on a CRJ and only had 2 pax in F). While the LAX > IAD flight didn't clear as it was one of those flights where F was booked solid and my name was number 14 on the UG list at the gate), it was still nice to have at least one segment clear.

One other thing to add, while it wasn't the most luxurious flight I've flown on UA, it was nice to see that they got the little touches right (i.e. the FA addressed me by name and politely asked what I would like from the snack basket).

All in all a good experience and something I will keep in mind the next time I consider using Aeroplan or UA miles to book UA metal flights! I'd be interested to learn whether GPU/RPUs can be applied to award flights with awards issued by UA or its partners.

Safe Travels,

James
Do you have any UA-branded credit cards?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Do you have any UA-branded credit cards?
I do not. I'm a Canadian citizen presently studying in the UK!

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.