Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by dank0014
IRROPS handling....ha, you're joking right?

UA is horrible at that. They had to rebook me last week, and they rebooked for 2 days after my original flight, taking me basically around the U.S....SEA>IAH>SFO>MCO>ORD when my original flight was SEA>ORD. After fighting them on the phone forever (since customer service at the airport couldn't help worth a darn), I was finally rebooked into a different airline.

If I had enough time to make the new suggested route, I would have done it....would have made for a darn good mileage run on a P/Y fare.

The sad part though is that this "value" or IRROPs handling for a 1K (and other elites) is actually better (much better) than for the typical UA passenger. I really feel sorry for them when things go in the crapper - I remember once seeing passengers from my flight at IAH when our flight got cancel get in line at the customer service desk that night, and I went to a hotel (wasn't going to mess with anything and just figure out the next day) to return to the airport 6 hours later and all the same customers were still in line, many sleeping next to their bags with one agent working.
Interesting to hear another perspective. I have had the complete opposite experience. Most of my IRROPS have been preemptively protected with good alternative routings. Have had calls from UA to discuss. Even during that darn "polar vortex" in Chicago a year or two back.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by hookthem
Interesting to hear another perspective. I have had the complete opposite experience. Most of my IRROPS have been preemptively protected with good alternative routings. Have had calls from UA to discuss. Even during that darn "polar vortex" in Chicago a year or two back.

I agree. IRROPS have been great. Once, I was flying SEA-IAH-AUS. I was suppose to arrive around 10pm. SEA-IAH was delayed. UA was extremely proactive and booked me AS's direct SEA-AUS. Was at home by 5pm. I didn't even have to call. They just sent me an email.

I feel bad for GM
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I think IRROPS handling has been OK. However, I dont know how much better it is as a 1K versus a regular person. I do know that calling the 1K line and getting an answer in a minute is much better than a non-elite.

As for upgrades, if there's only 8 F seats, the diff between Silver, Gold, Plat, and maybe even 1K makes little difference. Does it really matter if you're number 52 on the UG list vs if you are #1? You are still sitting in the back. So when it comes to upgrades, I wouldn't even consider it a benefit unless you're at least Plat or 1K. It reminds me of those Black Friday ads where they offer a super cheap TV or something, to get people in but only stock 5 of them. UA advertises CPUs, GPUs, RPUs, but the inventory is much less than the demand.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Well, next week will be my first 2 flights of the year that are actually CPU eligible. Guess we'll see how this goes.......
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
With regard to upgrades, as a silver, gold, and plat last year, they were virtually nonexistent, even on E/U/H fares at times. I don't know what happened, but I qualified for 1K on 12/26 and BOOM, the floodgates opened. I've been 80%+ ex-SFO. Granted, it's been all intra-west coast, but my only miss has been the Monday 6am SFO-LAX.

With regard to IRROPS, I've also noticed a difference as well. Caveat: we're dealing with two instances, small sample. Agents take a different tone/demeanor with me these days, and in one instance of a lengthy Mx delay, I requested rebooking OAL and it was granted. I don't feel like that would be the case as anything other than a 1K/GS.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't blame you for getting excited. I was Gold in 2012 and I got upgraded ORD-RDU when flying on July 4th and a Sunday morning DEN-PHX. It ain't easy out there for the lower tiered elites anymore
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:52 pm

Holy crap, I'm officially 1/1 this year as a Plat, and it actually cleared at T-72.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Some guys start the season 1/1 in MLB too. They end with a .269 avg by September. Good luck.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, NK, WN
I got upgraded once as a Silver.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Some guys start the season 1/1 in MLB too. They end with a .269 avg by September. Good luck.
Lol I know, ive got 18,000 BIS so far this year and this is the first domestic flight that wasnt an ERJ.

I wasnt surprised to clear, more that it actually did at T-72.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
As a 1K my upgrade percentage is in the toilet. Got upgrade both directions this week. CAE-IAD-ORF. The IAD-ORF_IAD was a UX. Airtime about 40 minutes.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by santarosaflyer
As a 1K my upgrade percentage is in the toilet. Got upgrade both directions this week. CAE-IAD-ORF. The IAD-ORF_IAD was a UX. Airtime about 40 minutes.
You can declare 'moral victory' for getting upgrades on IAD-ORF. Sometimes, UA puts a Q200 or ERJ on this route. Happy travel.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by artvandalay
Congratulations! Did you buy a lottery ticket on the way home?
getting a free upgrad as UA gold and then win the lottery?

the odds are beyond astronomical.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Once got upgraded at T24 SFO-IAD on a G fare as a Silver (Friday AM), but that was truly absurd. Was once also 75 on the upgrade list on a 753 for IAD-SFO.

Overall as Silver, I was 4/37 on CPUable flights and am 1/8 as Gold (only upgrade was ORD-SFO on Weds before Thanksgiving)
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
As a pmUA 1P my upgrade rate was over 60% on cheap fares, transcon and short hops

As a post merger 1K it was under 40% on similar and more expensive fares, mostly on under 1000mi flights
same here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.