FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is CPU Clearance Experiences
Print Wikipost

CPU Clearance Experiences - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum
Upgrades with gold status are rare but not impossible. I was gold for much of last year, and I had a few, including SFO-SEA, EWR-MIA and EWR-TPA.

Heck, I was once even upgraded as a silver on EWR-SFO. The point is, it's possible.

I'm a platinum now and am currently 1 for 5, with the one being EWR-PBI.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by teeceedee
Upgrade rate 24% as gold last year (see sig)

Though to be fair some of that was during smaller one day holidays when nobody else was flying.
As a Platinum I cleared at 6.25%
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Congratulations ... This year I am 1/7 for upgrades as a 1k
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Yep, that's about my luck. Batting 18% (think last year was 14%, so slightly better this year!). I've just resorted to purchasing P fares more often now.

I missed an ORD-TPA upgrade two weeks ago, on an E fare....sad.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
12 eligible CPU flight this year, one CPU so far as 1k. Another year. LAX yesterday 937 to IAD Group 1 was 34 deep and I ended up 12th. Hub to hub for me are brutal, heck, I can't even use a RPU or GPU, not available.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Upgrade rates

Back when I finished college in 2000, and travelled heavy for my first job upgrades were abundant and service was awesome pre-9/11. The industry has deteriorated a lot since then to no one's surprise. I no longer get upgrades as a gold on discounted fares, but UA has some instant upgrade fares you can pass through to expense if on business. These instant upgrade fare classes like "B" are a major reason why upgrades are so few these days.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool
As a GS? wow.

I learned my lesson a long time ago: never check bags. And I swear, every time I have checked in a bag, it never arrives on time.
Lol As far as I can tell GS bags don't look any different than any others.... I wish I could do a 10 day APAC trip with just a carry on but just not possible with suits and gym clothes!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by NYC Private Equity
Back when I finished college in 2000, and travelled heavy for my first job upgrades were abundant and service was awesome pre-9/11. The industry has deteriorated a lot since then to no one's surprise. I no longer get upgrades as a gold on discounted fares, but UA has some instant upgrade fares you can pass through to expense if on business. These instant upgrade fare classes like "B" are a major reason why upgrades are so few these days.
Truthfully it is the TOD that cause the drop in upgrade rates these days. I watched a family member be number one on list on PS flight last week that had 12 unsold seats at the 2hr pre departure point, and not one person on the upgrade list including my family member got it.

12 x TOD left 1K's etc on the list. For what it is worth, the family member was not offered a buyup at all at check in
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by hagan73
I cleared IAD to SFO at T-48 as a gold last year on a K fare. It was a 10pm departure, but still upgrades happen at all levels.
That's pretty amazing bc I think that route, at least the 6-7pm FL, is one of the hardest to UG period.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:41 pm

Got upgrade as a Gold!!!

0% upgrades as gold in 2014 but my companion and I were upgraded on Feb. 2, lax-hnl at T-24.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:41 pm

Last year I was upgraded 3 times as silver from lax to nrt. I think its just the routes.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kenny23692
Last year I was upgraded 3 times as silver from lax to nrt. I think its just the routes.
Those weren't CPUs, they were op-ups. Not the "upgrades" that are being discussed here.

You are not entitled to a complimentary status-based upgrade on long-haul flights at all. And you may be the luckiest person on earth.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 5:01 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Yep 2/12 here (1K). I thought Feb 1 might have helped but just as dire so far.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Plat*G | SPG G | Mar GE
I had a few UGs when I was gold in '13. Most notably ORD-LAS, ORD-MTY (int'l!), ORD-IAD. I didn't notice a huge difference between gold and plat upgrades out of ORD from '13-'14, likely due to the influx in 1Ks flying through Chicago.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by kenny23692
If you can get some time off I'd like you to come to Las Vegas with me just so I can stand next to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.