Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

COVID-19 meal changes are posted here:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g-changes.html

This thread is for premium cabin flights marketed as United First, United Business, and Premium transcontinental services. This includes:
  • North America (including all 50 US States, Canada, and Mexico)
  • Caribbean and Latin America (excluding Brazil, Argentina, and Chile)
  • Intra-Pacific/Oceania/Micronesia (such as HNL-GUM and GUM-MNL)
  • Select European Routes (such as to/from KEF)
Don't forget to post the date and route information along with the meal information!

Here's United's official page on North America premium cabin dining (including meal time windows):
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/inflight/dining/first.html

North American premium cabin dining includes all First and Business class flights (including p.s. Premium Service) within North America, the Caribbean, and Latin America

For the curious folks, the 2020 thread is here:
2020 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

With that, Let's Eat 2021!

Last edited by warreng24; Jan 1, 2021 at 2:37 pm
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
BOS-IAH 3 January 930 am A320 seat 1E

Only Tapas snack box offered (had sandwich choice on the way up on 30 December).

What I didn't realize is that bubbly is on offer. Apparently this has been the case for awhile and I just didn't know it. I actually found this quite drinkable and better than the pre-Covid big-bottle proseccos. Also better than the pre-Covid Polaris PDB bubbly (or if this is the same thing they were serving as Polaris PDB, maybe it just tasted better because it's been so long since I've had bubbly on any UA flight). Excellent, attentive FA.

cesco.g likes this.

Last edited by st530; Jan 4, 2021 at 3:05 pm Reason: fixed typo
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
1/1/21 DEN-EWR B737-800 Seat 1A

So on my previous trips recently that offered the sandwich, it was a choice of the vegetarian or the turkey. For this flight, they offered a chicken sandwich, which when heated actually tasted pretty good. I just don't understand why UA doesn't make the very slight effort to upgrade these "snack" meals by adding a side of chips and some type of a desert and deliver on a tray. It wouldn't add to the amount of encounter time between the passenger and the flight attendant (in my opinion).
Also give us better wine!

Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
So on my previous trips recently that offered the sandwich, it was a choice of the vegetarian or the turkey. For this flight, they offered a chicken sandwich, which when heated actually tasted pretty good. I just don't understand why UA doesn't make the very slight effort to upgrade these "snack" meals by adding a side of chips and some type of a desert and deliver on a tray. It wouldn't add to the amount of encounter time between the passenger and the flight attendant (in my opinion).
because it’s nothing to do with safety, it’s all about cost cutting
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

img
New white wine!

Relative to the Camelot chardonnay (low bar), is it better or 'less better'?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by fumje
New white wine!

Relative to the Camelot chardonnay (low bar), is it better or 'less better'?
Sorry, I should have had the wine label facing the camera when I snapped the photo. I don't remember the brand name of the wine.
Was it better? Can't really say as I have pretty low expectations for wine that is served from small bottles.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I should have had the wine label facing the camera when I snapped the photo. I don't remember the brand name of the wine.
Was it better? Can't really say as I have pretty low expectations for wine that is served from small bottles.
Guess I have a mission for myself next time I'm on board.
SPN Lifer and rittenhousesq like this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
SEA-LAX on 1/3/21 on PAID J ticket

Took the early non-stop @ 7am, and was counting on there being some sort of catering, given that I had it on the way up (choice of "entree" - in reality a choice between two cold sandwiches).

After take-off FA tells me that they "switched aircraft" on him and there was no first class catering... not even a snack box to offer. Hands me the "all in one" kit of a bottle of water, stroopwafel and pretzels. Takes my drink order and forgets it (in a cabin that was less than half-full). Overall, disappointing service.

My issue is that in the age of COVID, with their being few (if any options) at the airport, and trying to minimize time in public spaces (airport/airport concessions), the catering expected is often the only meal or food you may have for a long flight (this being 3 hours, but luckily we were 30 mins early).
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
SEA-LAX on 1/3/21 on PAID J ticket

Took the early non-stop @ 7am, and was counting on there being some sort of catering, given that I had it on the way up (choice of "entree" - in reality a choice between two cold sandwiches).

After take-off FA tells me that they "switched aircraft" on him and there was no first class catering... not even a snack box to offer. Hands me the "all in one" kit of a bottle of water, stroopwafel and pretzels. Takes my drink order and forgets it (in a cabin that was less than half-full). Overall, disappointing service.

My issue is that in the age of COVID, with their being few (if any options) at the airport, and trying to minimize time in public spaces (airport/airport concessions), the catering expected is often the only meal or food you may have for a long flight (this being 3 hours, but luckily we were 30 mins early).
Mainline or UX?

David
Old Jan 4, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by DELee
Mainline or UX?

David
UX
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I just don't understand why UA doesn't make the very slight effort to upgrade these "snack" meals by adding a side of chips...
..or by adding some chicken to the chicken sandwich

...as for the tray - you need to be a working pilot on a UA flight to get a full tray-ed meal on a non-Transcon Premium domestic flight.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
..or by adding some chicken to the chicken sandwich

...as for the tray - you need to be a working pilot on a UA flight to get a full tray-ed meal on a non-Transcon Premium domestic flight.
don’t get me started... offered yet another bloody tapas box on my almost 4 hour flight from SJU-IAD and had to sit through the smells coming from the oven from the pilots full tray, appetizer, desert, cooked main meals... first world problems I realize, but it feels (to me) like a big FU from United every time they give me the option of tapas box or tapas box.

can’t wait for my tapas box later tonight!
Old Jan 5, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dyce
don’t get me started... offered yet another bloody tapas box on my almost 4 hour flight from SJU-IAD and had to sit through the smells coming from the oven from the pilots full tray, appetizer, desert, cooked main meals... first world problems I realize, but it feels (to me) like a big FU from United every time they give me the option of tapas box or tapas box.

can’t wait for my tapas box later tonight!
Reminds me of TED, where the ovens were still onboard for crew meals, and passengers were left with squat.
PACLipper and Dyce like this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
1/6/21 CLE-RSW B737-800 Seat 2B

Offered choice of chicken sandwich, tomato/mozzarella sandwich, or one of the 3 snack boxes. Chicken sandwich was tasty. I guess the Kale in the aioli makes it healthy?

narvik likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by paule123
Offered choice of chicken sandwich, tomato/mozzarella sandwich, or one of the 3 snack boxes. Chicken sandwich was tasty. I guess the Kale in the aioli makes it healthy?

Did they warm the sandwich up?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.