Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Nov 18, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
KOA-SFO #435 10 AM departure 11/19

I haven't flown this route in several months. It is listed as lunch. Any idea what will be served? TYIA.
bartonhill likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:01 am

On my IAH-DEN leg yesterday in first. FA came out with two cups of champagne when I asked for a refill and informed me I was the only one drinking it(I had assumed it would be the little bottles). Came back and emptied the bottle before the end of the flight. Appreciated the gesture but absolutely didn't finish cup #3.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Dyce
I would expect PDB's will still be plastic just to ease the speed of clean-up prior to departure.
Hopefully the hard plastic (but look like glass) goblets will return on Polaris. I always thought it was a nice touch, even better than the Polaris roll-out champagne flute.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by Dyce
I would expect PDB's will still be plastic just to ease the speed of clean-up prior to departure.
Funny, no non-US carrier seems to need this "ease the speed of clean-up prior to departure." I wonder how they possibly achieve this herculean task of saving PDBs in glassware and still taking off on time. Just boggles the mind.
UAPremierGuy, truncated and zeer0 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I haven't flown this route in several months. It is listed as lunch. Any idea what will be served? TYIA.
Catering may be same as in post #1424 above. Dinner and lunch to SFO is usually the same out of any island (until they change menu for all islands).
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
(until they change menu for all islands).
Hawaiian food for all!

David
UAPremierGuy likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
My friend flew Polaris suite to SFO-HNL and said the suite was nice but the chicken katsu was horrible on his flight...I should ask for a photo (if he took one). The other F flight he said egg and kale pastry was pretty good.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
My friend flew Polaris suite to SFO-HNL and said the suite was nice but the chicken katsu was horrible on his flight...I should ask for a photo (if he took one). The other F flight he said egg and kale pastry was pretty good.
Ive had 2-3 bad chicken katsu experiences on UA to the point I wont order it - ever!
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold; DL Silver; Amtrak Select Plus;Hilton Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Ive had 2-3 bad chicken katsu experiences on UA to the point I wont order it - ever!
It's never been good. I can remember that was frequently offered as the second meal when flying to NRT. I learned my lesson after trying it once.
MatthewLAX and tcdtcd like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
It's never been good. I can remember that was frequently offered as the second meal when flying to NRT. I learned my lesson after trying it once.
you dont like soggy chicken?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:48 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Funny, no non-US carrier seems to need this "ease the speed of clean-up prior to departure." I wonder how they possibly achieve this herculean task of saving PDBs in glassware and still taking off on time. Just boggles the mind.
This may be outdated since I retired eleven years ago, but very likely is still current.

A long time ago – think 1990s – UA used glassware for PDBs. Then the FAA decreed that all galley compartments must be closed & latched before pushback* and must remain closed until after takeoff. That meant either (a) all PDBs had to be collected before pushback so they could be stored in a closed galley compartmenrt, or (b) plastic drinkware would be used and they could be collected after pushback because they could be dropped into trash compartments with spring-loaded lids. FAA was okay with that. The decision was made that passengers would probably rather be able to enjoy their drinks after pushback than insist on glassware.

*I'm wondering now if it were door closure and not pushback, because i know that at the same time the FAA said all passengers must be seated, all carryon items stowed and all overhead bins must be closed before the aircraft door could be closed...

(These FAA rules do not apply to foreign carriers, even at US airports, so they could continue as normal with glassware.)
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
My last flight on NH out of NRT they announced there will be no PDB. As in no pre-departure bathroom visit. Only after the seat belt sign is switched off after takeoff. UA has no issues with use of the lav prior to pushback. I wonder how UA achieves this Herculean task and still has top level flight performance. Just boggles the mind.

Variety in PDB offering is essential. How its served is a trifle.

And seriously, that NH policy is ridiculous. Hopefully it was a one-off.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And seriously, that NH policy is ridiculous. Hopefully it was a one-off.
I usually change into pajamas and finish at least one PDB before the door closes on every NH TPAC I've ever taken from NRT. Blame your experience on COVID?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wpcoe
This may be outdated since I retired eleven years ago, but very likely is still current.

A long time ago think 1990s UA used glassware for PDBs. Then the FAA decreed that all galley compartments must be closed & latched before pushback* and must remain closed until after takeoff. That meant either (a) all PDBs had to be collected before pushback so they could be stored in a closed galley compartmenrt, or (b) plastic drinkware would be used and they could be collected after pushback because they could be dropped into trash compartments with spring-loaded lids. FAA was okay with that. The decision was made that passengers would probably rather be able to enjoy their drinks after pushback than insist on glassware.

*I'm wondering now if it were door closure and not pushback, because i know that at the same time the FAA said all passengers must be seated, all carryon items stowed and all overhead bins must be closed before the aircraft door could be closed...

(These FAA rules do not apply to foreign carriers, even at US airports, so they could continue as normal with glassware.)
VERY interesting insight. Thanks for the info!
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:47 am

OGG to EWR

We were pretty pleased with our food on the way to OGG, but had the polar opposite experience on this flight home.

Not sure whether my fiancs dry and flavorless chicken katsu or my oily and flavorless pineapple fried rice was worse. Both of us received a cold, rock hard dinner roll and a packet of stale nuts. I didnt bother with the chocolate covered macadamia nuts and saved those for home.

His scrambled eggs with Portuguese sausage was also flavorless. I ordered the fruit and cheese
plate, which included dirty grapes, a measly two slices of cheese, and a random hard-boiled egg. At least our croissant was warmed, so that was probably the best thing we ate all flight.

Semi-related, I was beyond disappointed with how dirty my seat was. There were crumbs and little bits of food everywhere the tray table, the seat, the 2 crevice between my seat and the window, and my arm rest. It was seriously gross. They may as well not have cleaned at all, which it feels like they didnt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.