Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Nov 14, 2021, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Is anyone else here a fan of the so-called "ragu"? First, it seems to be couscous not pasta, and second I've had it on two flights and found it absolutely inedible due to the massive amount of sodium. I'm usually OK with somewhat salty dishes, but we're talking so much sodium it leaves an aftertaste similar to gargling with salt water.
Honestly, I kinda enjoyed it. It isn't my first choice in meals that either United or Continental has served, but it is decent. I didn't notice the sodium in it. Then again, I prefer food to be on the saltier side.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Is anyone else here a fan of the so-called "ragu"? First, it seems to be couscous not pasta, and second I've had it on two flights and found it absolutely inedible due to the massive amount of sodium. I'm usually OK with somewhat salty dishes, but we're talking so much sodium it leaves an aftertaste similar to gargling with salt water.
It's the only meal in the present rotation I have no tried. I really like the chicken, but will try the ragu next time - just to try it.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
deleted duplicate post
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by DELee
Nice pics. Was the rice and corn already mixed when you were served the meal?

David
Yes. The rice, corn, and black beans were all mixed in together. While I had unrolled my cutlery when I took the photo, I had not yet touched the dish.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
UA1609 (737-900)
IAD-SFO
Departure 10PM (listed as dinner)

No pre-departure drink. Meal options were chicken or vegetarian raviolis. I chose the chicken. The cookie pie was served separately. It looked like some people declined dinner - the person next to me did. The FAs did a good a solid job. This was the first traditional-plated hot meal in F in a long time.
dilanesp likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It is weird how catering continues to be a random mish-mash of upgrades and downgrades from pre-pandemic times. IIRC this flight varied between Snack and Refreshments previously.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
CLE-RSW
737-700
Seat 2B
8:06 AM departure
"Snack"

No PDB (wasn't expecting one)

Offered choice of Ham & Egg Crossaint or the "Everything Bagel with cream cheese"

I had the ham/egg croissant and it was fine.

My seatmate ordered the "bagel". After opening the bag and trying to pick apart the melted gooey mess, she called the FA over and asked if there was some kind of mistake. The FA explained, sorry, no mistake, that's how they tell us to describe it to the passengers. They really need to get rid of that thing, it's an embarassment.

Noticed a change in the pandemic style drink service, instead of bringing a full can of bloody mary mix and 2 vodka minis, they brought the mix poured in a blue plastic cup and 1 mini. Drinks were proactively refilled, so no real complaint there.

I don't know what the current "covid clean" procedures are, but this aircraft was parked overnight in CLE, and when I opened the tray table the next morning it was full of crumbs and a cocktail napkin dropped out.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by paule123
CLE-RSW
737-700
Seat 2B
8:06 AM departure
"Snack"

No PDB (wasn't expecting one)

Offered choice of Ham & Egg Crossaint or the "Everything Bagel with cream cheese"

I had the ham/egg croissant and it was fine.

My seatmate ordered the "bagel". After opening the bag and trying to pick apart the melted gooey mess, she called the FA over and asked if there was some kind of mistake. The FA explained, sorry, no mistake, that's how they tell us to describe it to the passengers. They really need to get rid of that thing, it's an embarassment.

Noticed a change in the pandemic style drink service, instead of bringing a full can of bloody mary mix and 2 vodka minis, they brought the mix poured in a blue plastic cup and 1 mini. Drinks were proactively refilled, so no real complaint there.

I don't know what the current "covid clean" procedures are, but this aircraft was parked overnight in CLE, and when I opened the tray table the next morning it was full of crumbs and a cocktail napkin dropped out.
That's the CLE COVID "clean clean".

David
bocastephen likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:17 am

EWR to OGG (11/13/21 - breakfast)

By the time the FA got to us in row 10, we were only offered the egg white bites with kale, sausage, and potatoes. That was fine for our purposes. However, the other option was mistakenly provided to me and I kept it appeared to be French toast with a vanilla creme anglaise sauce. Needed more vanilla sauce, but was otherwise fine. My boyfriend loved the eggs and sausage, but potatoes needed salt. Croissant came warmed.

We were offered a snack mid-flight and then lunch an hour before departure. Lunch was a choice of a soba noodle salad and teriyaki burger. Burger was pretty good and the Pie in the Sky was warm and delicious.

We didnt get a PDB, but they asked for our drink choice with each meal. My boyfriend got a beer mid-flight, about halfway in. Silverware is back, but cups are still plastic. We honestly didnt much mind food was way better than expected!
Carfield and dilanesp like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by findark
It is weird how catering continues to be a random mish-mash of upgrades and downgrades from pre-pandemic times. IIRC this flight varied between Snack and Refreshments previously.
If you are referring to dinner served on a 10PM westbound transcon, I agree it was a surprise. I was expecting it to be snack until I looked at what was offered on the website. It definitely is an upgrade to what would have been served in past.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CApreppie
If you are referring to dinner served on a 10PM westbound transcon, I agree it was a surprise. I was expecting it to be snack until I looked at what was offered on the website. It definitely is an upgrade to what would have been served in past.
Yes, in my time flying that route regularly, it was Dinner until 7:59pm, then Snack until 8:59pm, then Refreshments. I think the late block got a Snack at various points, but never Dinner. Even p.s. was Snack starting at 9pm for quite a while.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
ORD to HNL

772 From ORD to HNL on 11/14. Smooth flight, early arrival, friendly enough service. Really enjoyed the pre-arrival soba noodle salad. French toast was decent too. Pleasant journey home!

Carfield likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it me, or are the arrival services much more substantial than "breakfast"? The french toast looks like it was one slice of bread from the bag that's been on my kitchen counter for two weeks.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
UA 599 LAX-IAD 0835-1623 777-200

Choice of:

Waffles or

Eggs. I had the eggs which were pretty good. Plenty of flavor and some nice spice in the sauce. The fruit bowl was good but the parfait was tasteless. The lemon cookies were at least a fun dessert option. Before landing there was a drink service but no additional food.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by r_tsunami
772 From ORD to HNL on 11/14.

Haven't seen that bowl in ages! So nice to see it back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.