Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Nov 5, 21, 11:16 am
  #1336  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Posts: 59,066
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
I didn't even realize they were spicy.
The enchiladas are maybe 1.5 out of 5 flames, like a mild-medium mass market salsa. I found that dish to be surprisingly tasty.

Polenta/sauce is 0/5 (and IMHO the taste is ick). Please end it UA!

I believe you can request a snack box in lieu of a warm meal? Until special meals are back that is probably the backup plan.
uastarflyer is online now  
Old Nov 5, 21, 12:06 pm
  #1337  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Posts: 101
11/5/21
UA647
BOS-DEN

Good Boston based crew, very proactive with drinks, doubles all around. Came through frequently with a tray of water or orange juice and would ask if you wanted anything else.

The new egg scramble with chicken sausage is actually very good, nice Tuscan-esque seasoning. Only critique is that a few bites were perhaps a bit too salty. Came with the peach granola parfait (definitely high cream cheese content) and fresh tasting fruit bowl. Chocolate chip oatmeal bars instead of the previous lemon cookies.


bourbonbum is offline  
Old Nov 5, 21, 12:23 pm
  #1338  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Programs: UA 2MM
Posts: 1,584
Originally Posted by greenpau View Post
SFO-JFK Nov 2, 752

Full sized water bottles at every seat on boarding.

Same Premium Transcon entree selection as posted upthread: choice of Chicken, Mushroom Sauce, Polenta, Broccolini or Cheese Ravioli with Pomodoro. Chicken was good.

Mesclun Salad was a nice change. Nuts in plastic container were served first with beverage. Sorbet wasnt loaded, and in its place the old Cranberry White Chocolate Chip cookie not even Pie In The Sky. They must have found an old frozen box of them lying around in the warehouse.

Arrival Service was usual choice of Charcuterie Plate or Hummus/Tabbouleh.

Amazing service from LAX based crew, and was invited proactively up to flight deck by Captain before departure. They made the flight.

BMOG (Brought My Own Glass) the myth of glassware returning November 2nd with new rotation was just that.
Is this the same that is offered on Westbound Premium Transcons.
N104UA is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 2:14 am
  #1339  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Posts: 101
UA1736
Polarized 772

Flight delayed 4 hours for maintenance. Options were Asian short rib, tamarind chicken, or the butternut squash pasta. Short rib pictured. While not the best visually, the meat was very tender and tasty with the sauce. No sorbet. The bread and pie in the sky were cold.

Soba noodle salad or burger for pre arrival mild. Soba salad was ok, literally just the side salad with noodles added in.


bourbonbum is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 9:09 am
  #1340  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 16,602
Originally Posted by bourbonbum View Post
UA1736
Polarized 772

Flight delayed 4 hours for maintenance. Options were Asian short rib, tamarind chicken, or the butternut squash pasta. Short rib pictured. While not the best visually, the meat was very tender and tasty with the sauce. No sorbet. The bread and pie in the sky were cold.

Soba noodle salad or burger for pre arrival mild. Soba salad was ok, literally just the side salad with noodles added in.
Flight is DEN-OGG.

David
gcashin likes this.
DELee is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 9:21 am
  #1341  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SFO / LHR
Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Posts: 909
Originally Posted by N104UA View Post
Is this the same that is offered on Westbound Premium Transcons.
Slight variation in entree selection and salad, as I saw Thursday evening EWR-SFO:

Entree choice of Southwestern Noodle Chicken (as described) or Cheese Ravioli. All served on one tray. Bread was not warm. Entree was very bad - the chicken was incredibly dry and stringy. It was almost as if the Thai Chicken and Southwestern Chicken mid-con entrees had been fused together with bad results:



Glassware my own. Not pictured was the mango sorbet that was plonked down on everyones side table, and was beyond frozen solid for 30+ minutes.

Arrival snack was same Charcuterie Plate or Hummus/Tabouleh, but much lower quality than the SFO catered version.

Terrible service from a EWR-Based crew on the premium-heavy 76L. The cold bread is becoming the sign of a crew and/or galley FA that dont care. The crew-passenger ratio on this plane is the worst among the fleet, but the added surliness and inattentiveness didnt help. Nothing proactively offered and all needed to be asked for, while they all sat in the galley reading their bid packets for next month. FA in my aisle told me a set of falsehoods, such as I wasnt allowed to use my own glass, she wasnt allowed to refill the plastic cups per FAA regulation, and that the bread is supposed to be served cold. Not that she did any refilling of drinks. All of these things changed three months ago now in catering - she just hasnt read any of the memos / didnt care. Such a contrast to my outbound LAX crew and Im not even going to mention my JetBlue Mint experience a couple of weeks ago that was half the price
greenpau is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 10:33 am
  #1342  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: PHL
Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH(Expl), MB(S)
Posts: 772
Originally Posted by NovaEngr View Post
Breakfast in First, PHL (non-hub) to DEN: hot meal choice or box? Leaving Friday.
The outcome was a warmed sandwich. Croissant with Canadian Bacon & egg, yogurt, fruit cup and lemon cookies. It was OK. Not amazing, but in 2021 context, not bad.

UA2383, PHL-DEN 11/5/21 in F
NovaEngr is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 10:39 am
  #1343  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9,439
Originally Posted by NovaEngr View Post
The outcome was a warmed sandwich. Croissant with Canadian Bacon & egg, yogurt, fruit cup and lemon cookies. It was OK. Not amazing, but in 2021 context, not bad.

UA2383, PHL-DEN 11/5/21 in F
img
Forgot to photo until after the first bite, eh? I know that situation well!

Tip if it's something you care about: if you then cut it in half, the contents will be more clearly seen, it's easier to eat (at least IME), and you can hide the little oopsie bite.

As to the sandwich, I wish they'd serve it with cholula or some other hot sauce by default. I've been bringing my own and it's a definite upgrade.
fumje is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 10:45 am
  #1344  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: PHL
Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH(Expl), MB(S)
Posts: 772
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Forgot to photo until after the first bite, eh? I know that situation well!

Tip if it's something you care about: if you then cut it in half, the contents will be more clearly seen, it's easier to eat (at least IME), and you can hide the little oopsie bite.

As to the sandwich, I wish they'd serve it with cholula or some other hot sauce by default. I've been bringing my own and it's a definite upgrade.
Yep. One bite in, then "I should take a photo for FT. No one will notice." Busted!
NovaEngr is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 11:40 am
  #1345  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, AVIS PC
Posts: 4,863
Originally Posted by bourbonbum View Post
UA1736
Polarized 772

Flight delayed 4 hours for maintenance. Options were Asian short rib, tamarind chicken, or the butternut squash pasta. Short rib pictured. While not the best visually, the meat was very tender and tasty with the sauce.
<snip>


(bolding mine)
Looks like UA just offers the exact same food, no matter what the route.
For comparison, this was served in Polaris, SFO-PVG, "Asian Short Rib": the fat was very tender.

narvik is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 12:25 pm
  #1346  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alexandria, Longboat Key
Programs: Amtrak SE, United 1K, Wyndham PLAT, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Choice PLAT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 2,053


11/5/2021
UA 2276 IAD-LAX 5:50 PM Departure
787-9 unmodified Seat 1B (Downgrade from initial Polaris 777-200eER. Was originally supposed to be in 1A. )

Offer was Southwest Chicken or Italian Ragu with Polenta, my seatmate and I both went for the Chicken. Meal was very good as the previous Chicken Orzo was. Would prefer a salad, like the previous Southwest salad with the Orzo Chicken, as opposed to fruit but the fruit was good. Pretzel Roll and the Cookie pie were both warmed, served with silverware. When glassware returns, I really don't know. But unhappy UA no longer has Old Fashioned so I was stuck with Glenfarcas. Lead flight attendant not the friendliest in the world. Seemed annoyed when asked for more booze. Flight got into LAX super early, just over 40 minutes and no line at LAXIt, so I got to my hotel right when my flight was supposed to land. Really can't wait for the remaining 787-9s to be retrofitted. The existing seat is fine but it's an outmoded product and $mi$ek did not realise this until too late.
Longboater is offline  
Old Nov 6, 21, 6:17 pm
  #1347  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 26,607
Originally Posted by Longboater View Post


11/5/2021
UA 2276 IAD-LAX 5:50 PM Departure
787-9 unmodified Seat 1B (Downgrade from initial Polaris 777-200eER. Was originally supposed to be in 1A. )

Offer was Southwest Chicken or Italian Ragu with Polenta, my seatmate and I both went for the Chicken. Meal was very good as the previous Chicken Orzo was. Would prefer a salad, like the previous Southwest salad with the Orzo Chicken, as opposed to fruit but the fruit was good. Pretzel Roll and the Cookie pie were both warmed, served with silverware. When glassware returns, I really don't know. But unhappy UA no longer has Old Fashioned so I was stuck with Glenfarcas. Lead flight attendant not the friendliest in the world. Seemed annoyed when asked for more booze. Flight got into LAX super early, just over 40 minutes and no line at LAXIt, so I got to my hotel right when my flight was supposed to land. Really can't wait for the remaining 787-9s to be retrofitted. The existing seat is fine but it's an outmoded product and $mi$ek did not realise this until too late.
UA still has Old Fashioned drinks. Flight attendant just needs to know where to look them - they are not with the other spirits, but in the lower wine drawer on the beverage cart.
SPN Lifer likes this.
MatthewLAX is online now  
Old Nov 6, 21, 7:36 pm
  #1348  
formerly 1984SW
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Programs: UA
Posts: 951
Based on the reports of the "plastic cutlery" on DEN originating flights, what on earth happens to the metal cutlery that is on the inbound flights? Is there some anti-matter black hole where the cutlery washer should be?
United747 likes this.
wpcoe is offline  
Old Nov 7, 21, 12:04 am
  #1349  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ASE
Programs: AA EXP, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Globalist, UA/HHonors/Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Posts: 3,228
Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
Based on the reports of the "plastic cutlery" on DEN originating flights, what on earth happens to the metal cutlery that is on the inbound flights? Is there some anti-matter black hole where the cutlery washer should be?
I have wondered the exact same thing. Is this cutlery ending up at the home of catering staff? Where on Earth does it go when it is catered on the inbound flight?
UAPremierGuy is offline  
Old Nov 7, 21, 6:27 am
  #1350  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 16,602
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy View Post
I have wondered the exact same thing. Is this cutlery ending up at the home of catering staff? Where on Earth does it go when it is catered on the inbound flight?
DEN: where cutlery goes, no one knows.

David
United747 likes this.
DELee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread