Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
...One other point, observant FTers might notice the blue "napkin" around the real silverware. For a moment, I thought that UA's changing its napkins. Then, because there's no button hole for us males who wear dress shirts, it became obvious that UA catering has repurposed the blue tray cover cloths as napkins...as others mentioned the blue "napkin" but wanted to put that notion to rest. ...
Myabe, Maybe not --my recent gray napkin had no buttonhole either.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Are they offering bubbles from full bottles as well?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
2021-10-11 UA490 ORD-LAX

Lunch. Picked the one that I wasn't terribly tired of but, man, this selection is really, really tired.
I swear I got almost this same meal a few times IAD/EWR-DUB/LHR in economy pre-pandemic. Just served in their plastic containers.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 747Clipper
Is a breakfast service offered on HNL-ORD? Early 0615 arrival in ORD so I was just wondering.
Yes. I don’t know what it is as I passed on it last Sunday morning. They only asked passengers who were awake if they wanted it which was very nice.

You are eating breakfast at 1:15am or 2:15 am HNL time though depending on time change. Most people declined on my flight
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
UA1093
DEN-LAX
Oct. 5, 2021
7:50 a.m. - 9:19 a.m.
737-800
Breakfast

Nice to have a hot breakfast on a hub-hub "exception" flight. I chose the "plant-based chorizo with scrambled eggs." Quite tasty, although the child-size plastic cutlery is a bit sad (but it means double salt and pepper packets - score!). Nice service and a friendly crew. I noticed the full-size wine bottle of red being poured and the flight attendant showed me the others she had in the galley, including cava. She said one passenger had consumed the whole bottle of red (at 8 a.m.!).

Last edited by Kurt; Oct 14, 2021 at 4:26 pm
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kurt
UA1093
DEN-LAX
Oct. 5, 2021
737-800
Breakfast

Nice to have a hot breakfast on a hub-hub "exception" flight. I chose the "plant-based chorizo with scrambled eggs." Quite tasty, although the child-size plastic cutlery is a bit sad (but it means double salt and pepper packets - score!). Nice service and a friendly crew. I noticed the full-size wine bottle of red being poured and the flight attendant showed me the others she had in the galley, including cava. She said one passenger had consumed the whole bottle of red (at 8 a.m.!).

img
And on a 2h flight, no less!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kurt
UA1093
DEN-LAX
Oct. 5, 2021
737-800
Breakfast

750 ml = 25 fl oz = 3 cups - for some wine drinkers, not terribly difficult.

David
GlobalServiced likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bourbonbum
Are they offering bubbles from full bottles as well?
Yes, but our old friend Coastal Vines ($6 a 750ml bottle) on my recent ORD-SFO. We were definitely better off with the JP Chenet Black Label splits.

2021-10-11 UA490 ORD-LAX
  • Can we shoot the folks who insist on continuing to serve this inane southwestern-ish "salad"?
One other point, observant FTers might notice the blue "napkin" around the real silverware. For a moment, I thought that UA's changing its napkins. Then, because there's no button hole for us males who wear dress shirts, it became obvious that UA catering has repurposed the blue tray cover cloths as napkins...as others mentioned the blue "napkin" but wanted to put that notion to rest.

David
Also had the blue tray liner used as a napkin, but my seat mate had the beige napkin. Simply a catering challenge as things are not making it around the system.

Yes that horrible salad has to go …

Originally Posted by cranky1K
Got the standard orzo chicken or enchiladas last night SFO-OR D. Looks like some variety being introduced, at least for preselection.

Same … my ORD-SFO had the chicken with a grilled vegetable and sweet potato mash presentation.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Anyone else get the beef brisket this week? I’m wondering if it was a one-off at SFO last week because they ran out of chicken.
Yes on my second outbound this week, but other was Chicken Orzo. To your point, supply fluke?
cranky1K and bourbonbum like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
These were my first plated meals since before the pandemic began. Other than wearing a mask, flying felt pretty normal!

2021-10-02 UA219 ORD-HNL

Egg Whites & Sausage
Breakfast - It's always interesting to see what you end up with after hearing the FA's description, particularly if its a new item. In my case, having not had a plated meal since early 2020, everything was new again. Ultimately wasn't fond of this meal. I got more joy out of the very simple egg burrito at The Club BWI that I ate at 5am or so.

Teriyaki Burger
Pre-Landing Meal - No actual teriyaki taste but otherwise satisfying. Better than the old burger from economy, not sure if that has changed in current times. I do miss the Sir Kensington's ketchup though. Just plain old Heinz for this meal. Barely visible between the plastic cup and lettuce & tomato is a hot chocolate chip cookie. More like a ton of gooey melted chocolate chip goodness with a bit of cookie mixed in. The other option was a noodle salad which was actually quite good. Unfortunately didn't photograph it.

2021-10-09 UA252 HNL-IAH

Chicken Katsu
Dinner - Not too bad. Not even close to the pork katsu I had at Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin in Waikiki but at least it was significantly better than the stuff that they had in the HNL UC! At least it was a satisfying meal. The Hawaiian Host macadamia nuts were a nice local touch.

Sausage and Eggs
Pre-Landing Meal - I think this was described as sausage and eggs but it is more of a Hawaiian style breakfast. Not too bad. But not great either.
MatthewLAX and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
LAX-EWR

LAX-EWR, Thursday Oct 15, 820am departure

Breakfast options were Egg inside a Pastry OR French Toast.

IMO, it’s a “bread or bread” option, which for a LA/NY crowd does not seem very appropriate. Why can’t they at least offer one healthier option, omelette or scrambled eggs for example.

I ordered the Egg Pastry dish and it’s disgusting. Full of gross cheese mixed in, and inside a pastry of some sort.

Big thumbs down on the catering for this flight. I’ve been very disappointed by UA’s catering efforts as of late.
m.y and NYCjd like this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by thesun
Sausage and Eggs
Pre-Landing Meal - I think this was described as sausage and eggs but it is more of a Hawaiian style breakfast. Not too bad. But not great either.
Does look like Portuguese sausage \m/
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Does look like Portuguese sausage \m/
Indeed it was!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:55 pm

Those brown bagged sandwiches are a hot, gooey, mess with everything stuck to the inside of the bag. I couldn’t find or taste any chicken on this glob of a “sandwich”. I’ll take a snack box any day over this crud. I wonder if Scott and some of the other higher ups have experienced this “meal” at 35,000 ft. It should be a requirement for those people.
big V, IAHMCI and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Got the standard orzo chicken or enchiladas last night SFO-OR D. Looks like some variety being introduced, at least for preselection.

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Thank goodness! I don’t think I can face another chicken pesto orzo or enchilada!
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
i only experienced enchiladas once a few days ago and liked it (surprisingly good IMHO).

So now I am afraid of change, as in what is in store with my preselected “ENT” dish.
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I like the enchilada too, but we'll see how the change is...
Had the “ENT with Italian Ragu and polenta” on 10/15 ORD-SFO Just some vegetables over a bed of sauce and polenta. Yuck.

So within the veggie entree lane. I say bring back the enchiladas now! Or the AVML Indian style veggie dishes, or ravioli…

The sides were pretzel roll, fresh fruit and pie in the sky. All plastic cups, no glassware to be seen.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Had the “ENT with Italian Ragu and polenta” on 10/15 ORD-SFO Just some vegetables over a bed of sauce and polenta. Yuck.

So within the veggie entree lane. I say bring back the enchiladas now! Or the AVML Indian style veggie dishes, or ravioli…

The sides were pretzel roll, fresh fruit and pie in the sky. All plastic cups, no glassware to be seen.
here it is from IAH-EWR today

Last edited by IAHMCI; Oct 16, 2021 at 3:37 pm Reason: Upload photo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.