Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Jan 26, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Traveling on UA219 this week 01/28 from ORD-HNL. I was originally booked in seats 2 A/B as I read on this forum the hot meals seem to run out early and I wanted better chances of receiving one. Now the aircraft layout has been changed to the newer updated Polaris configuration, however, my seats have been moved to 10 A/D as a result. Now I'm worried they'll run out of hot options by the time they get to me
Buy food at the airport and take it on the plane such as a deli sandwich - you will be happy with that backup as likely whatever you are offered isn't that great - especially for a long daytime flight.
Flying Machine and CIAO LAX like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
LAX-EWR
UA1165
January 19, 2021
787-10

Choice of ravioli or buffalo chicken. This buffalo chicken with cauliflower risotto remains one of my favorite UA dishes. Same options in Premium Plus...

Ice cream served after, not with dinner:

I also love the Old Fashioned cocktails from Knob Creek, which are strong but go nicely with dinner.

It's nice to see they brought the Old Fashioned's back. They haven't had them in my experience for quite a few months.

I still haven't seen the candied oranges they used to serve with them in some time.
CIAO LAX likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MarkP24
It's nice to see they brought the Old Fashioned's back. They haven't had them in my experience for quite a few months.

I still haven't seen the candied oranges they used to serve with them in some time.
Agreed about the Old Fashioned drink.

Candied oranges?

David
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Agreed about the Old Fashioned drink.

Candied oranges?

David
Candied orange peel skewers:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ashioned-saga/
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, that explains why I haven't had any such skewers on UA flights when I've requested an Old Fashioned....

David
Old Jan 26, 2021, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I still haven't seen the candied oranges they used to serve with them in some time.
If UA ain't serving limes, they certainly ain't servin' oranges
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If UA ain't serving limes, they certainly ain't servin' oranges
or the skewers anymore...
Old Jan 26, 2021, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
OT-Small world (community on FT). I am flying UA #218 HNL-ORD on January 28 using the plane you are coming in on. Just a caution about the seats. With the winter storm covering about a 1,500 mile stretch over the U.S., there could be some IRROPS over the next few days so the configuration could change before you depart. Since you are flying with someone else, keep an eye on the seat map in case you get moved out of row 10 since there is no row 10 on the non-Polaris config.

Back on topic, any current thoughts about what the meal is on UA #218 HNL-ORD these days? My plan was to pack food from home and eat at the airport before I board and then hopefully maximize sleep. That said, it would be good to know a) what the meal might be, b) is there anything pre-arrival, and c) do they put out a snack basket, etc. in front of 1F later in the flight? TYIA for your help!
Small world indeed, thanks for the advice! Enjoy your trip, hopefully the meal is somewhat edible! I'll be returning OGG-ORD the following week and I'm guessing that route will have a similar dinner.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Small world indeed, thanks for the advice! Enjoy your trip, hopefully the meal is somewhat edible! I'll be returning OGG-ORD the following week and I'm guessing that route will have a similar dinner.
Have a great trip as well!
Old Jan 27, 2021, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

I enjoyed these all summer on the premium transcontinental flights. Usually flight attendants are surprised to find them, but two are loaded onto the beverage cart of each flight (transocn only).
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 12:24 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I enjoyed these all summer on the premium transcontinental flights. Usually flight attendants are surprised to find them, but two are loaded onto the beverage cart of each flight (transocn only).
I received two on my LAS-ORD flight on Sunday.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
hot or lukewarm?
Quite hot actually
Old Feb 3, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
I'm on UA 219 ORD-HNL this Saturday, hopefully the 2/1 catering changes update the "breakfast". Definitely buying something else fresh to bring on board. As an aside, have 1L1K in old config, which I actually prefer traveling with a partner on a daylight flight.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:32 pm

Ua219 ord-hnl 01/28/21

Flew UA219 ORD-HNL on 01/28/21, and here are my photos as promised! Lucked out and we were on the reconfigured 767 with Polaris seating... very nice design but did feel a little narrow when laying fully flat - but overall a very nice upgrade from previous design. Seats had a standard pillow (not the memory foam) in the Sak's pillowcase and the lighter Polaris Sak's blanket (not the duvet). No amenity kits but bathrooms did have hand lotion and face refresher spray. No pre-departure beverage offered but meal and drink orders taken prior to take-off while still parked at the gate. Hawaii agriculture forms filled out at the gate as well. Flight attendants had Hawaii themed aprons. We were seated in 10A/D (the last row) and I was concerned about meal selection being so far back. We were literally the last people to have orders taken, and still had choice between both entrees. I noticed a handful of people did not order any anything (maybe 25% of the cabin)... this was mostly passengers taking extra COVID precautions with double masks with plastic face shields. Options were Quiche or Pancakes. I heard the passenger in front of me ask what was served with the pancakes and the flight attendant responded "probably just pancakes" so she ordered the quiche. We also went with the quiche.

It turned out to be a leek quiche and was served with breakfast sausage, mushrooms, a single tomato, and tomato sauce. Side of Biscoff cookie on a glass plate, yogurt, and child-like fruit cup in syrup. Overall the entree was great, far exceeded the low expectations I set. I appreciated that it was served with some hot side items given the prior posts of items without sides. United can still improve on the fruit cup and bring back warmed bread option (not sure how COVID prevents this).

Snack basket set out in front of row 1 when the flight was over Idaho and left out and restocked until the end of the flight. There was a variety of items available including chips, gummy candies, chocolate, cheez-its, and bottled water. Multiple passes for beverage service. Overall very attentive service. Pre-arrival meal would have been nice, but knowing this has been canceled we brought on a Ham and Swiss croissants that we purchased across from the departure gate and had them about 1 hour prior to landing. Overall a great flight given COVID and better than expected service given United's service reductions.

Will be flying back home OGG-ORD-EWR on Feb 6 (dinner flight) so I'll post an update after that experience.

10A Polaris seat on United 767-300

Polaris cabin looking forward on United 767-300

Breakfast on UA219 ORD-HNL 011/28/21: Leek quiche with breakfast sausage, mushrooms, a single tomato, and tomato sauce, with assorted sides and a screwdriver

Breakfast on UA219 ORD-HNL 011/28/21: Close up of entree - Leek quiche with breakfast sausage, a single tomato, and tomato sauce

My BOB (Bring-on-board) Ham and Swiss croissant, available in ORD terminal
cesco.g, opusx100, demkr and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ordogg
I'm on UA 219 ORD-HNL this Saturday, hopefully the 2/1 catering changes update the "breakfast". Definitely buying something else fresh to bring on board. As an aside, have 1L1K in old config, which I actually prefer traveling with a partner on a daylight flight.
You'll find out tomorrow which actual aircraft you are flying on, when the United website updates with flight status for 2/6. Otherwise, they always post the old config. Make sure to check and change your seats around immediately as I was booked in 2A/B on 01/28 and then reassigned to 10A/D (with no option to move as it was a full flight). Meals seem to already be updated based off my 01/28 flight but further enhancements would be nice, especially to the fruit cup and breakfast bread! Happy travels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.