Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Redeye from HNL to DEN, departed Jan 19. No dinner but breakfast was actually pretty good.

Basically a spinach omelet inside a croissant-like crust with a hot marinara-style sauce, strawberry yogurt, fruit cup, and full-size Biscoff. Real silverware in cloth napkin. They offered me a refill on the coffee.
Flight attendants were attentive and gracious.
This looks like the resurrection of the "kale pastry" that was a staple for mid-con breakfasts circa 2017-March 2020.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by st530
This looks like the resurrection of the "kale pastry" that was a staple for mid-con breakfasts circa 2017-March 2020.
or is it just old stock they found when clearing out the freezers? 😁
dcsnowwake, st530 and TEBraniff like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Redeye from HNL to DEN, departed Jan 19. No dinner but breakfast was actually pretty good.
Basically a spinach omelet inside a croissant-like crust with a hot marinara-style sauce, strawberry yogurt, fruit cup, and full-size Biscoff. Real silverware in cloth napkin. They offered me a refill on the coffee.
Flight attendants were attentive and gracious.
The kale pastry is back! 👀
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ordogg
HNL-DEN redeye seems to be an oddball - shorter than HNL-ORD which gets dinner, but a full breakfast before landing on a shorter redye is weird, but I guess it is because of the later (2230) departure?
Who wants dinner with a 2230 departure? I much prefer this timeslot to the 2100 and am glad it's back. The earlier departures are too late to want to eat after lift-off, too early to get to sleep. Arrival time for this flight is perfect for breakfast before entering the pattern.

Originally Posted by st530
Originally Posted by zeer0
The kale pastry is back! 👀

I'll take both your words for it. It tasted better than kale but I don't recall having had this one before.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
That is the famous kale dish and it is also back on EWR-SFO/LAX breakfast flights. The fruit cup remains pathetic.

@ExplorerWannabe: was there a snack basket or snack box offered after takeoff? Was the breakfast served 90 minutes before landing?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That is the famous kale dish and it is also back on EWR-SFO/LAX breakfast flights. The fruit cup remains pathetic.

@ExplorerWannabe: was there a snack basket or snack box offered after takeoff? Was the breakfast served 90 minutes before landing?
No snack basket or snack box offered after takeoff, I think most of first class was obviously bedding down. The FA woke me (per instructions on my monitor) approximately 90 mins before landing to offer me breakfast. They waited a little bit to wake other FC passengers and offer them breakfast, I guess because no one else had the message on their screen (new to me but I found it when perusing the entertainment monitor since my audio was out of action -- the small tip on the headset at my seat was bent and the FAs found me another headset but it had 2 big tips instead of 1 small, 1 big so I took that a sign that I should get to sleep).
MatthewLAX and Flying Machine like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Ua219 ord-hnl

Traveling on UA219 this week 01/28 from ORD-HNL. I was originally booked in seats 2 A/B as I read on this forum the hot meals seem to run out early and I wanted better chances of receiving one. Now the aircraft layout has been changed to the newer updated Polaris configuration, however, my seats have been moved to 10 A/D as a result. Now I'm worried they'll run out of hot options by the time they get to me, and all closer seats are booked/blocked at this time. Called UA and they were unable to my move seats (they did offer the other side of the aircraft) but they instructed me to ask at the airport for more options. Any other advice or insight on meal delivery? I wish they had pre-ordering still but I guess in the world of COVID that is not practical? Thanks, I'll be sure to post photos of my meals - hopefully its not corn flakes!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Traveling on UA219 this week 01/28 from ORD-HNL. I was originally booked in seats 2 A/B as I read on this forum the hot meals seem to run out early and I wanted better chances of receiving one. Now the aircraft layout has been changed to the newer updated Polaris configuration, however, my seats have been moved to 10 A/D as a result. Now I'm worried they'll run out of hot options by the time they get to me, and all closer seats are booked/blocked at this time. Called UA and they were unable to my move seats (they did offer the other side of the aircraft) but they instructed me to ask at the airport for more options. Any other advice or insight on meal delivery? I wish they had pre-ordering still but I guess in the world of COVID that is not practical? Thanks, I'll be sure to post photos of my meals - hopefully its not corn flakes!
Everyone gets a hot option on this flight. This month it is the egg kale puff pastry or French Toast, both served with yogurt, packaged fruit cup, and a biscotti or Biscoff cookie.
CIAO LAX likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:11 am

Everyone gets a hot option on this flight. This month it is the egg kale puff pastry or French Toast, both served with yogurt, packaged fruit cup, and a biscotti or Biscoff cookie.
Great good to know! Thanks for the info
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Any other advice or insight on meal delivery?...hopefully its not corn flakes!
Corn flakes will not show up. Nor will there be "meals". Likely to be a choice of two hot (mostly, bread) sandwiches or a snack box. A real meal can be had in the terminal. I've actually brought cooked chicken pieces from home to augment UA's chicken and cheese sandwich and that made it more filling. On my 2nd flight yesterday, the FA did skip around cabin to make sure GSs and 1Ks got first choice. I overheard a few (including myself) opt for snack box, so maybe the more frequent flyers are tiring of current food on board and grabbing something pre-flight.
CIAO LAX likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX-EWR
UA1165
January 19, 2021
787-10

Choice of ravioli or buffalo chicken. This buffalo chicken with cauliflower risotto remains one of my favorite UA dishes. Same options in Premium Plus...

Ice cream served after, not with dinner:

I also love the Old Fashioned cocktails from Knob Creek, which are strong but go nicely with dinner.

cesco.g, st530, CIAO LAX and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Corn flakes will not show up. Nor will there be "meals". Likely to be a choice of two hot (mostly, bread) sandwiches or a snack box. A real meal can be had in the terminal. I've actually brought cooked chicken pieces from home to augment UA's chicken and cheese sandwich and that made it more filling. On my 2nd flight yesterday, the FA did skip around cabin to make sure GSs and 1Ks got first choice. I overheard a few (including myself) opt for snack box, so maybe the more frequent flyers are tiring of current food on board and grabbing something pre-flight.
Plan on visiting the UA Club in ord prior to my departure so Ill see if they have any options to augment in flight offerings...
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
ORD-HNL seems to switch between breakfast and lunch occasionally. I took it one time last year and it was breakfast, the second time I took it (departing about an hour later), it was lunch.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Plan on visiting the UA Club in ord prior to my departure so I’ll see if they have any options to augment in flight offerings...
Post #53 above shows what I was served on this flight a few weeks ago. Set your expectations very low (for the food) and you won't be disappointed.
Ooops, now I see you already saw that. At least you got the Polaris seats. Enjoy the ride.
CIAO LAX likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
OT-Small world (community on FT). I am flying UA #218 HNL-ORD on January 28 using the plane you are coming in on. Just a caution about the seats. With the winter storm covering about a 1,500 mile stretch over the U.S., there could be some IRROPS over the next few days so the configuration could change before you depart. Since you are flying with someone else, keep an eye on the seat map in case you get moved out of row 10 since there is no row 10 on the non-Polaris config.

Back on topic, any current thoughts about what the meal is on UA #218 HNL-ORD these days? My plan was to pack food from home and eat at the airport before I board and then hopefully maximize sleep. That said, it would be good to know a) what the meal might be, b) is there anything pre-arrival, and c) do they put out a snack basket, etc. in front of 1F later in the flight? TYIA for your help!
CIAO LAX likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.