Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Just a datapoint on the katsu - if you prefer chicken breast/white meat (aka ChikFilA/Popeyes - a solid/non-processed filet), you’ll likely be disappointed.
The katsu is dark meat/processed, “parts is parts”, McNugget-like. Yuck to me!
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Schmel
Scored a CPU on a 787-9 ORD to IAH , waffle was really good.... glad to see real food back, especially since I often pay for J.

img
Nice job with the drinks pairing! (The waffle is sometimes described as bourbon banana.)

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Just a datapoint on the katsu - if you prefer chicken breast/white meat (aka ChikFilA/Popeyes - a solid/non-processed filet), you’ll likely be disappointed.
Good note on the katsu — the dark meat makes it one of my preferred dishes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
7/7: CMH-IAH 4:35pm departure Mesa UAX

PDB of Dasani water bottle, and one of the best in-flight services I’ve had in a long, long time, mainline or UAX. I’m typically not a fan of Mesa as their one pass through the cabin & watch Netflix in the back service is all too common.

but on this flight… wow, I didn’t get her name but the first class section flight attendant worked the entire flight, continually making sure everyone was taken care of, and even restocked the lav not once but twice!

It makes such a difference to have a pleasant, available, smiling flight attendant. Food was snack box but it didn’t matter. Definitely contacting the GS desk to compliment this flight…
SPN Lifer, tcdtcd, N104UA and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by cesco.g
"$29/case with purchase of 3 or more cases (mix & match)."
Your pallate is severely handicapped by drinking too much of UAs Wine Selections😀
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cesco.g
"$29/case with purchase of 3 or more cases (mix & match)."
Must be some pretty good swill if it's commanding a $5 premium against a case of Two Buck Chuck.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by DELee
Think of a fried chicken sandwich - without the bread.

David
Close, but not precisely. The typical American fried chicken uses mostly a flour based batter. An authentic Japanese katsu uses panko in its batter (NOT saying that UA is doing it right, just saying that a true katsu is not precisely a fried chicken sandwich without the bread). Cheers!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Must be some pretty good swill if it's commanding a $5 premium against a case of Two Buck Chuck.
Where can you get "Two Buck Chuck" for $2 now? For a long time now I think it has become Three Buck Chuck or Three-Point-Five Buck Chuck everywhere I've been.

Which, when you think about it, is rather revealing for UA's wine choices.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
The real question is always, did it taste good?
I believe he said it did. Mine did.

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
In Asian cultures, the thigh meat is often preferred as being tastier and juicier than breast meat. My katsu flying HNL-DEN was NOT "processed" or "McNugget-like". UA deserves a lot of the guff they take for the food offerings but in this case, my only complaint was that leaving the foil cover on the dish makes the crust soggy. The rice and the veggies were also overcooked but the katsu was just fine aside from the soggy crust and I've eaten a LOT of chicken katsu and tonkatsu in my day.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by ExplorerWannabe; Jul 9, 2021 at 10:27 pm
Old Jul 10, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
UA253 IAH-HNL today, lunch flight. Choice of short rib, butternut squash ravioli, or thai chicken. We had the first 2, both were good, and certainly a relief from the cheese goop sandwiches!
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
UA253 IAH-HNL today, lunch flight. Choice of short rib, butternut squash ravioli, or thai chicken. We had the first 2, both were good, and certainly a relief from the cheese goop sandwiches!
Since when did long-haul Hawaii flights get three entree choices?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
LAX-DEN / DEN-IAD:

Options on both flights were either Chicken Orzo ot Vegetarian Enchiladas.

For the LAX-DEN I chose the orzo:

pre-meal drink:

wrapped:

unwrapped:

DEN-IAD, I went wild and tried the enchiladas:

Neither dish was anything to write about besides than on FlyerTalk.

WRT the southwestern corn side dish, all I can say is that it goes better with the enchiladas. But that's about the only thing I'll say about it.

David
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Visually the enchiladas look fine. If I see another Tapas box I may hurl. (Though in moderation it’s very reasonable)
Dyce likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
Since when did long-haul Hawaii flights get three entree choices?
Definitely had 3 choices in past. Went into multi-year hiatus and now back? Maybe it's just on the non-CPU Hawaii routes. If 3 choice becomes the norm, that's great.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Where can you get "Two Buck Chuck" for $2 now? For a long time now I think it has become Three Buck Chuck or Three-Point-Five Buck Chuck everywhere I've been....
Well, in California last year. Don't know about this year - haven't been out in California other than LAX airport hotels or friends' house in Brisbane (Bay Area Brisbane, not Australia Brisbane).
Trader Joe's Is Selling 'Two Buck Chuck' For $2 Once Again (delish.com)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:18 am

UA 781 ORD-MSP 7/11 (scheduled 1h 25m) no wine in F due to “flight is too short” per FA. But UA’s food and drink menu tab in the app has wine/beer for purchase “all day” for “flights scheduled over 1 hour.” Any guesses as to why no wine in F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.