Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paule123
Offered choice of chicken sandwich, tomato/mozzarella sandwich, or one of the 3 snack boxes. Chicken sandwich was tasty. I guess the Kale in the aioli makes it healthy?

img
Did you drink your wine with ice?

I suppose it might be an improvement for that one.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dyce
because it’s nothing to do with safety, it’s all about cost cutting
One thing I would expect to stay for standard domestic catering is the bulk-provisioning of F meals, as they are now. Typically, airlines pay caterers a fixed rate per tray setup, which increases per item as other things are added to the tray. Boarding stacks of plates and food items (like sandwiches) in bulk is cheaper than ordering a cart with, say, 16 entrees loaded in an oven carrier, 16 tray setups, 16 salads, 16 silverware rolls, 16 water glasses, 16 s+p packets, 16 desserts, etc., per flight, which are charged on a per-item basis.

Delta's revised (2019) international Main Cabin service is bulk-provisioned and while marketed as an enhancement, it is actually a less expensive product to cater. UA is probably now developing a way to relaunch domestic F catering, post-COVID, in a way that will look and feel a bit more premium than the current interim product, but definitely cost less to deliver than the standard pre-COVID service.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Yes, they did warm it up.

... and yes, I do drink such fine wines as this with ice - makes it last a bit longer, and fewer trips to the bar for the FA.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
UA1403
IAH-ORD

Boeing 737-900
Meal: lunch

Choice of snackbox, chicken sandwich, and tomato mozzarella (below)

Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paule123
Yes, they did warm it up.

... and yes, I do drink such fine wines as this with ice - makes it last a bit longer, and fewer trips to the bar for the FA.
Never thought of trying it, but I think I shall if they are still clearing out Camelot on my next flight. This all is turning into quite a white wine assignment for myself (see earlier posts).
rittenhousesq likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by fumje
Did you drink your wine with ice?

I suppose it might be an improvement for that one.
I find the Camelot wines to be pretty vile but maybe the white is more flavorless when kept ice cold? Regardless, I'll stick with Bombay Sapphire G&Ts.
ERtraveler and Dyce like this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:46 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
When I flew DL, where the *only* beverages were beer, wine & water, I bought a can of (chilled) Sprite at the airport and made white wine coolers.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 9:53 am

UA 2354 ORD-IAH 10:45AM B757-300 1A
Choice of Tapas box, Chicken sandwich, or Tomato basil. Went with the tomato basil and IMO the chicken is much better. I'm going to miss the cocktail picks.

Spoiler

Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JustSomeFlyer
...Went with the tomato basil and IMO the chicken is much better...
After so many of the chicken sandwiches, I thought the tomato basil sandwich sounded good. Completely disappointed. Tasted like a cheese sandwich with a ketchup packet squeezed onto it. I personally think UA should provide the same domestic F offerings to their HQ staff as their only lunch options. We'd see how long that sandwich lasts....
Dyce likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 10:15 am

UA1534 IAH-LAX B757-200 4A
Same choices as my previous flight from ORD-IAH with tapas box, chicken sandwich, or tomato basil sandwich. Poor lady sitting next to me picked the chicken sandwich, saw the calories on it, and sent it back, we both ended up having the tapas box. Amazing purser on this flight, very attentive and friendly.

Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
After so many of the chicken sandwiches, I thought the tomato basil sandwich sounded good. Completely disappointed. Tasted like a cheese sandwich with a ketchup packet squeezed onto it. I personally think UA should provide the same domestic F offerings to their HQ staff as their only lunch options. We'd see how long that sandwich lasts....
and serve it cold a la UAX
Old Jan 9, 2021, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JustSomeFlyer
UA1534 IAH-LAX B757-200 4A
Same choices as my previous flight from ORD-IAH with tapas box, chicken sandwich, or tomato basil sandwich. Poor lady sitting next to me picked the chicken sandwich, saw the calories on it, and sent it back, we both ended up having the tapas box. Amazing purser on this flight, very attentive and friendly.
img
img
No cheese spread.

By my calculation, without the cheese spread, the tapas box comes in at 500 Calories (now that the flatbread crackers have been downsized). With it, perhaps total of 550-600 Calories? A bit lower than the sandwich's 680 Calories, I suppose. Probably there is a bit more fibre in the tapas box foods than in the chicken sandwich, in any case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by fumje
By my calculation, without the cheese spread, the tapas box comes in at 500 Calories (now that the flatbread crackers have been downsized). With it, perhaps total of 550-600 Calories? A bit lower than the sandwich's 680 Calories, I suppose. Probably there is a bit more fibre in the tapas box foods than in the chicken sandwich, in any case.
Good call. Here's a link with calorie count of various snack items and pay-on-board (back in the day):
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/t...-airlines.html
Old Jan 9, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Good call. Here's a link with calorie count of various snack items and pay-on-board (back in the day):
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/t...-airlines.html
Hah, pretty close to their total.

Thanks for the link.

I'm curious about the contents description:
Originally Posted by flyertalk articles
Tapas: almonds, breakfast crackers, bruschetta, dark chocolate sea salt caramel, flatbread crackers, hummus, mint, olives, and parmesan peppercorn spread (Vegetarian)
I don't recall mint ever, but I also never had the BoB boxes before they were granted to 1K in Y.

Does anyone know how that was served/packaged/whatever?

I also can't figure out what breakfast crackers are.

Maybe DELee can open his old tapas box for us?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
IAD-HDN, UA329
Sat, Jan 9
A319

Choice of two sandwiches or classic snackbox but only 4 sandwiches loaded so we were stuck with snackbox in Row 3

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.