Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: greenpau
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2020]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges currently closed due to Covid-19)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by LIH
Flew ORD > ATL on 3/17 on UX and got the very rare: disabilities > military > families > 1K > GS workflow for pre-boarding. I've certainly experienced families getting pulled forward by a GA (on both UX and UA) but the full blow boarding 1K, pausing, and then calling GS was a new one on me.
Similar to when the GA pauses for about a millisecond between welcoming GS and 1K (leaving too little time to get past the scrum of 1Ks near the gate) or, worse, calling GS/1K at the same time.
Plane-is-home and tcdtcd like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:33 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
My report...

So my first flight as a GS in one year this week IAH Cozumel and back.

Short of being thanked profusely at both IAH and CZM check-in and boarding gates )for being GS) nothing on the plane. No first choice for snack box LOL.

Both flight were 100 percent full.
unitedbusiness and uanj like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian

Short of being thanked profusely at both IAH and CZM check-in and boarding gates )for being GS) nothing on the plane. No first choice for snack box LOL.

welcome back and welcome to the new reality!
Old Mar 19, 2021, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I have taken about 12 segments since January. The FAs have been very good about asking me for my first choice. If they would come to me without what I wanted, I would call them on it. The GS priority has not disappeared.
cesco.g, uanj and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion

I also wanted to add my genuine thank you for being a United Global Services member!
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I have taken about 12 segments since January. The FAs have been very good about asking me for my first choice. If they would come to me without what I wanted, I would call them on it. The GS priority has not disappeared.
Agreed, have gotten first choice, on few flights this year, asked before all others in F
iluv2fly and uanj like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:10 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
The IAH-CZM section they had a hot chicken sandwich and when they got to me and my fam in the last row (4) I was literally told, "well I have good news and bad news; the bad news is we have no more chicken sandwiches but the good news is we have extra snack boxes..."

The sandwich looked blah anyway so I would not have selected it but I was not offered it being in the last row of F or technically Business since int'l Mexico flight.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I was supposed to fly to France direct from EWR yesterday.
3 hours before departure time my test result wasn’t in so I called to make a change to the today flight ewr-ord-cdg since no direct today.
I was asked 4,000$ extra with PZ, IN wide open. I asked for a complimentary change and the agent refused. She told me there wasn’t an exception for late test !
I told her I would therefore cancel the trip. She said “Ok and do you need a Hertz rental in Paris?” !

I went on the app, tried to check in, moved the flight to Saturday with a 9h layover in ORD, tried to check in that flight. Since ewr-ord was fairly full, they offered rebooking option, and I could book the one I wanted initially... at 0$.

What a lousy customer service !
Dyce, Plane-is-home, LIH and 2 others like this.

Last edited by benewr; Mar 20, 2021 at 6:44 am
Old Mar 20, 2021, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by benewr
3 hours before departure time my test result wasn’t in so I called to make a change to the today flight ewr-ord-cdg since no direct today.
I was asked 4,000$ extra with PZ, IN wide open. I asked for a complimentary change and the agent refused. She told me there wasn’t an exception for late test !
I told her I would therefore cancel the trip. She said “Ok and do you need a Hertz rental in Paris?” !

I went on the app, tried to check in, moved the flight to Saturday with a 9h layover in ORD, tried to check in that flight. Since ewr-ord was fairly full, they offered rebooking option, and I could book the one I wanted initially... at 0$.

this is honestly hilarious how bad their service is
Old Mar 20, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond

Imagine if you weren't GS!
iluv2fly, onthesam and porciuscato like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Quick note for those flying to Hawaii and going through the GS Lobby at SFO - they will now pre-clear you and issue a wristband there in the lobby. You don’t have to go to F16. Just as well during Spring Break time - the line at F16 was really long. A small GS godsend this week.

On arrival in OGG, the non- pre-cleared line was the entire length of the terminal. Other guests here at our condo complex said they waited three hours in line to be screened.
cesco.g, aCavalierInCoach and uanj like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by greenpau
On arrival in OGG, the non- pre-cleared line was the entire length of the terminal. Other guests here at our condo complex said they waited three hours in line to be screened.
Smart.

David
Old Mar 22, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum

I've had a few of these types of reps over the past 3 months or so. They mention GS in the call introduction so know they're talking to a GS customer, but do not seem to appreciate the subset of customers GS represent nor do they have the same level of training in terms of how to be accommodating.
Now you might say, this is the new normal and is how all GS reps are being told to handle GS calls, but that's not the case either. On a few other occasions I've had long-time GS reps (the ones sometimes mentioned by name here or in the course of conversation they mention how they train GS reps) and those folks offer the traditional service and accommodations I'm used to as GS.

I'm not sure if they've laid off or reassigned GS reps or are just expanding the pool of who they route GS to but there's definitely two very different experiences you can receive on the GS line (more so than before) based purely on luck of who's working and who picks up the phone.

Hanging up is the easy answer but what a waste of time...
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

Please write a brief email complaint to GS Customer Service. They need to hear how crazy some of this stuff is that agents are saying.

Originally Posted by LHR Wannabee
Imagine if you weren't GS!
It would have been the same, and equally unacceptable!
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
GS Phone Line

Called early this morning (3:30 am CT) in response to a "We're trying to reach you" e-mail (flight is to Brazil in two weeks); after 6.5 minutes on hold, I hung up. Not clear if I actually got thru to the GS line or if it just rolled over to the generic line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.