Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: greenpau
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2020]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges currently closed due to Covid-19)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:05 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Thats fair, it depends on circumstances.

Many into LGA are day-tripping. 3.5hr delay kills the day, so I'd bet 50% of that flight tried to flip to EWR.

20/20 hindsight
This is exactly accurate. Had to reschedule one of three meetings. Fortunately was already planning on staying over but if we were doing the 6/7AM - 6/7PM turn I would have just scrapped everything. For sure going to just book the open seat from now on.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: 12 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Was served a complimentary GS beer on my CRJ 200 (Air Wisconsin) flight last night. First time in 15 months they had something with alcohol available on this aircraft.
uanj and WasKnown like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Just went thru security at IAH. The exit for the GS lobby no longer goes to the TS Precheck lanes. Pre check has been moved to the south side for what I was told would be 2 months.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by IAHMCI
Just went thru security at IAH. The exit for the GS lobby no longer goes to the TS Precheck lanes. Pre check has been moved to the south side for what I was told would be 2 months.
Yuck! Was there a separate GS TSA (pre) entry lane on the south side? (There was on the north side before the GS lobby opened.)
Old Aug 27, 2021, 6:44 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Ther was not a separate lane on the south side. The only way to avoid the line is to get CLEAR
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi All,
For the 72 hour forced upgrade (so long as 2 J seats remain), I know you have to be number 1 on the list. I'm currently #2 on the list and there is J5 right now. I presume this means that whoever is #1 must be a GS on a higher fare than me. Is there any way to get them to clear #1 then #2? On one hand I understand the rule that you have to be #1... but if the actual #1 person called up they would clear him/her and then if I did they would also clear me. Anyone had any experience with this?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: UA GS
Yes. Agent did exactly as you suggested. I assume that you are using an instrument and not seeking a Complementary Upgrade.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:52 am

Well, to my surprise I called up and the agent just processed my upgrade, skipping the #1 person on the list. That was easy. YMMV!
Old Aug 30, 2021, 10:06 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by qwicker
Well, to my surprise I called up and the agent just processed my upgrade, skipping the #1 person on the list. That was easy. YMMV!
Are you sure they skipped them and didn't just also process them (based on the inventory you saw?). I've had agents process the people in front of me and sometimes not tell me but then I see that it went from like J5 to J3 after my call.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Last Sunday they refused to reopen a flight for check-in even though I arrived at 64 minutes before. GS called gate agent and they said they had already closed (early) and would not reopen even for a GS.
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Nope, no weather. And while the construction at C/D/E bit me more than usual, I still go there before the cutoff time, and the GS agents even said so and could not believe they would not open the flight. They tried to offer me carry on only, but that was not an option with one of the bags. Ironically the gate agent said on the phone they would hold the flight for me to go through security with carry ons, but not let me check my bag before the 60 minute mark, even just a few minutes before legal cutoff. I was not best pleased, but it worked out. AA was great, Amsterdam had self service booze at the lounge, and we got back to Sicily in one piece just fine. I was surprised they would not open a flight for GS (that per posted rule should have been open anyway) but the IAH GS staff at check-in tried and were great people.

I have not written GS let. I wanted to relax a bit LOL first. Maybe they read this already. Regardless I was a bit in shock. I stayed polite and calm, and again IAH GS check-in ladies were very nice and frankly shocked as well. Such is life these days. I made it work another way, but remain disappointed. Had I been there at 55 minutes or something then I could maybe understand being firm on the 60 min rule, but 64 minutes is still before 60 minutes and with no one else in the GS lobby they got to me immediately to try and check the bag.

Honestly I am not leaving UA or anything, as I am 2 million plus miles in the bank and flying again, but I am doing some free-agent stuff on the side and not laser focused on UA right now.
That is ridiculous! I made that mistake once as EXP on AA, where I could not check-in online and missed the 45 minute check-in time. The gate had already moved me off the flight, but the exact words from the check-in agent was "I have an EXP here and he is very important and he needs to be put back on the flight". Granted, this was a domestic flight, and did not have any bags to check, so I made it on the flight, albeit in coach.

Also, I am assuming there's prohibited items (e.g., more than 3oz of liquid, or knives) in your checked bag? If it's oversized and can go through TSA, take it with you next time and check it at the gate.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by LIH
Are you sure they skipped them and didn't just also process them (based on the inventory you saw?). I've had agents process the people in front of me and sometimes not tell me but then I see that it went from like J5 to J3 after my call.
The person who was ahead of me is still #1 on the list so they definitely just skipped them.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:16 am
LIH

Nice shout-out to the ORD GS staff. Cleaning crew found my laptop charger in the side of a 787 Polaris seat, got it to the gate agent, who must have looked up my seat and then got it to GS. They left me a voicemail with a direct call back number at the airport and then proactively offered to meet me at my next departing flight (5 days later) with it. Someone had actually gone into my itineraries proactively because when I called back the agent quickly said "Oh, thanks for calling Mr. LIH, I see you're flying to Charlotte on Thursday, want us to just meet you at the gate with it then?"

I didn't even notice that it was gone until the voicemail. Pretty great.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
a GS can apply their plus points to others award tickets right?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
a GS can apply their plus points to others award tickets right?
Yes but the miles must be from a GS account. That is - you can make an award reservation for someone else and apply PlusPoints. You can also upgrade another GS's aware reservation if they used their own miles (or used theirs for someone else).

I don't believe you can upgrade an award ticket booked with non-GS miles.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
Yes but the miles must be from a GS account. That is - you can make an award reservation for someone else and apply PlusPoints. You can also upgrade another GS's aware reservation if they used their own miles (or used theirs for someone else).

I don't believe you can upgrade an award ticket booked with non-GS miles.
Both the miles and plus points need to be from a GS account. Recently, many agents will require that they also come from the same account.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.