Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Flight Results Layout on United

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:51 am
Original Poster

New Flight Results Layout on United

Has anyone noticed a new flight result layout on united.com recently? It reminds me a lot of the old United search result layout, the 2 column view format, prior to the Continental merger. It doesn't appear often and can't figure out what triggers it to appear this way. I have a screenshot I'd share but I'm too new to be able to upload it. I wonder if anyone else has seen this and if they are thinking of permanently updating the site to this view and getting rid of the current view. I just found this interesting and my apologies if this was discussed prior, but didn't see any recent discussions.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'm not sure how new it is. I do find it difficult to see the difference between flight options, they tend to all blend together.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mclpc68
Has anyone noticed a new flight result layout on united.com recently? It reminds me a lot of the old United search result layout, the 2 column view format, prior to the Continental merger. It doesn't appear often and can't figure out what triggers it to appear this way. I have a screenshot I'd share but I'm too new to be able to upload it. I wonder if anyone else has seen this and if they are thinking of permanently updating the site to this view and getting rid of the current view. I just found this interesting and my apologies if this was discussed prior, but didn't see any recent discussions.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Did a few searches just now but not seeing any result layout differences vs. a few days ago. Would be interesting when you've had enough posts for you to post the screenshot to see the layout that you are verbally describing.

David
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
I booked a flight yesterday and was getting it consistently and am still getting it today. Here is a screenshot:

narvik and nexus7556 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. Looks like UA's programmers/UX folks are looking for feedback (at the top of the page as shown in your screenshot).

Compared to the current "original" or "standard" search results, info for the Economy (cancel anytime) column is not shown.

I also marvel at why they've crammed all of the flight data into one box/cell and have gobs of white space/empty nada for the prices. Nice that they show the applicable fare class for a given fare cost.

Too bad you still have to select "Details" instead of simply showing the remaining flight data.

David
Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:07 pm

The other day when I tried to book they were presenting options with outbound in left column and return in right column on single screen. Each with their prices. Way cool, hope they choose that one. I'm sorry I was too busy to post about it then.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The new layout is SUPER annoying. It's hard to actually search for flights because they have so much white space on the screen. When pening seat maps and flight detail it gets worse.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, for those who are getting the "new" layout, is it only when you're logged into your MP account and doing the search? I've done a few searches not logged in and do not get that layout (and not gonna login so then the website gets to nag me about not having booked crap to EWR or wherever or that I could use my $113 in ETC value to go to Podunk).

David
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm getting the new layout completely randomly. And I search tickets every single day. And I'm never logged in when I do the searches.

Just now I got the original layout. I've yet to see the layout where outbound and return are shown on the same screen as referenced above. But then again, I'm also one of the few who consistently gets the "edit search" button at the top of the search results page instead of being able to modify my airports/dates right on that screen. I believe it has to do with screen layout size. Since I don't currently use a widescreen display I wonder if that's the reason.

I'm also super frustrated by the utter waste of white space on the new results screen.

-RM
Xyzzy and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes I get a new layout (same palette / design as the flight search results shown in post above) for the advanced search input page, but so far I have not seen the search results come back with the new layout.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:16 pm

To be honest, I haven’t booked a ticket on UA from the website directly since... 2015? This thread made me realize that....

I use Google Flights (revenue) or the United App (award) to do all my bookings.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 2:42 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I agree that there is way too much white space. Also, the font is a bit small. Being in my Mid 40's, I consider myself lucky to be able to read something that small, but it's getting harder by the minute. Bigger and bolded text would be a plus.

Regarding removing the drop box for flight details and just having it display by default, that would cause the left column to have even taller boxes which would have even more white space in the fare boxes. Other than the inventory available in expert mode, I don't see anything that can be relocated into the fare boxes.

Slightly off topic, but about 15 years ago, New Jersey Transit here in NJ hired an outside design company to revamp their public-issued paper rail schedules and the public reaction was very positive. Since rail schedules are grid-like, they did things such as taking the emphasis off of each particular train and transferred it to the stations, since most commuters are more concerned about all trains between A and B than about all of the other stops made by any particular train. My fellow EWR flyers might remember this. I wonder what that type of company would recommend to UA about their website design.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by phkc070408
I wonder what that type of company would recommend to UA about their website design.
"Delete all existing code; we'll start from scratch!"
Xyzzy, edcho and phkc070408 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I *hate* the new layout. Sometimes I get the side-by-side and sometimes I just get the new layout for outbound and return separately. Either way, they took away the biggest feature I use which is the ability to sort a column of results by price either economy, economy flexible or first. Now you must click the "Sort and filter" button, click the drop down for sort, select how you want to sort and then click apply. Four clicks instead of one. STUPID.

And on top of it there used to be a "use old format" link in the upper-right corner. That's gone as well.

-RM
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This actually bothers me less than many of UA's various "enhancements" to the web interface. All the substance I care about is still there.

I actually use the App primarily for searching/booking now, since you can get the inventory right there on the first screen.
Originally Posted by shdflyer
The other day when I tried to book they were presenting options with outbound in left column and return in right column on single screen. Each with their prices. Way cool, hope they choose that one. I'm sorry I was too busy to post about it then.
You mean like the pre-merger UA display, circa 2010? I guess everything comes around . . . .
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.