Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CPU vs PlusPoints for SFO to HNL (1K premier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CPU vs PlusPoints for SFO to HNL (1K premier)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
If you're already at the top of the list, no point adding PlusPoints.

I agree with HNLbasedFlyer that there's a good chance at least one of the last two seats gets bought.

As others suggested, changing flights may be a good option if your schedule allows. Pretty much any of the other SFO-HNL flights tomorrow looks better for your upgrade chance. Try checking in online or with the app and see if it will let you change. I think you can clear CPU on any of them except the one you're on.
the only other 777-200 is at 630pm (tons of first class available) The 9am and 435pm flights aren’t lie-flats. Hmmm.. tough decision.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Be aware of last minute buy-ups as HNLbasedFlyer mentioned.
I was 1st on list on LIH-SFO with 1 seat open on 752 with lie flats, and someone decided to pull up his credit card to buy-up at the gate, and it all happened right in front of my eyes
SF1K, lsquare and m.y like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BaconSF
the only other 777-200 is at 630pm (tons of first class available) The 9am and 435pm flights aren’t lie-flats. Hmmm.. tough decision.
Unfortunately, other people make decision for you even you do not like it. It is down to one seat for sale now.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Agree with others who've noted that folks flying to/from the islands are willing to buy up because its vacation/self/etc. so getting stranded at #1 or #2 on the upgrade list is not uncommon on full-ish flights with domestic F-cabin demand.

Also, sometimes, you get offers for your upgraded seat even after the F cabin is sold out: 04/27/18 LAX-LIH 752 8:15 AM depart (& LIH-HNL on HA), the update and the followup/$300 buyout.

David
SPN Lifer, kevflyer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
10:45AM, there are two seats left. Wife and I are #1 & 2 on the upgrade list
Your chance is slim, although I do hope you to get those.

IME before COVID-19 - CPU chance is usually higher if your arrival time is after HNL-GUM departure. But since your arrival will be about T-1 before HNL-GUM, so there is a chance someone may still do something to affect your chance.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Be aware of last minute buy-ups as HNLbasedFlyer mentioned.
I was 1st on list on LIH-SFO with 1 seat open on 752 with lie flats, and someone decided to pull up his credit card to buy-up at the gate, and it all happened right in front of my eyes
Tough luck.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Use the Plus Points now

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Unfortunately, other people make decision for you even you do not like it. It is down to one seat for sale now.
if OP wants to secure these two seats (back to two seats for sale), use the Plus Points now because it is PZ2 and OP will not be able to use them in 2021.
Good luck.

Last edited by Kmxu; Jan 1, 2021 at 6:21 am
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Wow, I chanced it with the CPU and both of us cleared into first class lol
Kmxu, lsquare, SPN Lifer and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Wow, I chanced it with the CPU and both of us cleared into first class lol
Happy new year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.