Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines is not Ethical (Observations)

United Airlines is not Ethical (Observations)

Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Equality Regardless
Exclamation United Airlines is not Ethical (Observations)

I am new here so please be nice and suffer from a form of Autism and enjoy traveling as a way of therapy. On a recent trip there were some things i saw that not seem right or fair..

Flying from Los Angeles the lines for economy check in was at least an hour long and i looked and saw it was clearly due to lack of staff and they should know how many people are traveling to make sure the airport is staffed. The preffered line was much shorter and one lady was consistantly saying premier only premier only when she could have just kept helping people as there was a clear lack of staff. I had checked in already and was early to observe.
There was no wait at TSA and it was like the officers were wondering where the passengers were. (they were in line when it should me moving way faster)

The worst part was on the plane which was half full at most people wanted to move to get extra space which is totally understandable as its an empty long flight. These flight attendents were rude and made the cram when there were plenty of empty seats unless they paid money they said they did not have... How is that fair?? Why put someone in pain for a long flight when there is an easy solution.

Happy Part was once the plane was in the air the same person moved and asked to talk to the captian as he could make his flight more enjoyable if the Attendant who should be fired would let him be safe during a pandemic.

Sick of all the money its not about money its about people and being nice.

I have a flight tomorrow which is Christmas Eve and if I see an unfairness or things that need to be made right I will post
J_Stroming likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you want more room, United allows you to buy it. How is that unethical? Some people might feel more comfortable in a Mercedes than the Kia they own, but they can't afford one. Should the Mercedes dealer just give them a Mercedes sitting on the lot and take the Kia as an equal trade-in to be "ethical" or "fair"?

The airlines provide a variety of seating options. Those sitting in the less-legroom seats bought them out of choice or necessity. United is under no obligation to provide more than purchased. Not unethical or unfair.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 23, 2020 at 10:44 am
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
This year is a little different, but the holidays are synonymous with hordes of less-experienced travelers, leading to greater-than-usual wait times for things like check-in, bag drop, security, boarding, etc.

Originally Posted by Captain Equal
It's a nice thought, especially around this time of year, but it is, and always will be, about the money.

In the meantime, that shouldn't stop frontline employees from treating people with a modicum of respect. Still, I don't believe courtesy is necessarily coextensive with giving away premium/ancillary products simply because a customer is unsatisfied with a long line, or lack of space in the service category they actually paid for.
JetBunny, uanj, tuolumne and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
so First class for everyone? Hand out free food? But keep the $40 fares?

You get what you pay for, that's life. Some things are even free such as OLCI! Others require you to make choices on what is important to you and pay accordingly.

It would frankly be unethical if UA handed out these things for free, they do have an obligation to their shareholders and other parties that keep them afloat.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Happy Part was once the plane was in the air the same person moved and asked to talk to the captian as he could make his flight more enjoyable if the Attendant who should be fired would let him be safe during a pandemic.
So according to that person, the flight attendant should be fired for following rules - does that seem fair to you? And, that's the happy part?

What if the all of the passengers wanted extra legroom to be more comfortable without paying for it? Who would get which seats?
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:10 am
st3

Programs: United MP
  • While they still aren't close to the 2019 numbers, the number of travelers is higher than it has been earlier in COVID which is causing some issues with the lower staffing levels I am sure: https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput
  • In the 20 or so segments I have flown during COVID the most packed part of the plane has always been the front and the back. Some people don't want to pay for seating assignments and even fewer for E+ so they may be in the rear of the aircraft. Unless it is a weight and balance issue I don't see why they should be moving people up to E+ that bought BE tickets.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If someone wants equal treatment/amenities with one who has earned Premier status, earn Premier status. If someone wants to enjoy the same legroom as someone who has purchased an E+ seat, purchase an E+ seat. If someone wants the same meal as a First Class passenger, buy a First Class seat.

Unreasonable expectations of a passenger are not unethical practices of an airline.

Fire a flight attendant because he/she won't give one more than one paid for? Seriously????
Old Dec 23, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I am new here so please be nice and suffer from a form of Autism and enjoy traveling as a way of therapy.
Hello, and welcome to this forum.
There's a great deal of awesome people on here ready to help with questions, and give free advice to make the most out of your travel experience.
I've been here quite a few years, and have learned a lot from fellow travelers.

You seem to be a savvy traveler yourself; do you think United is worse than other [U.S.] airlines?
uanj, ContinentalFan and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA MM
I am new here so please be nice and suffer from a form of Autism and enjoy traveling as a way of therapy. On a recent trip there were some things i saw that not seem right or fair..

Flying from Los Angeles the lines for economy check in was at least an hour long and i looked and saw it was clearly due to lack of staff and they should know how many people are traveling to make sure the airport is staffed. The preffered line was much shorter and one lady was consistantly saying premier only premier only when she could have just kept helping people as there was a clear lack of staff. I had checked in already and was early to observe.
There was no wait at TSA and it was like the officers were wondering where the passengers were. (they were in line when it should me moving way faster)

The worst part was on the plane which was half full at most people wanted to move to get extra space which is totally understandable as its an empty long flight. These flight attendents were rude and made the cram when there were plenty of empty seats unless they paid money they said they did not have... How is that fair?? Why put someone in pain for a long flight when there is an easy solution.

I have a flight tomorrow which is Christmas Eve and if I see an unfairness or things that need to be made right I will post
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the United Airlines forum. I think most here would call it unfair to someone who purchased a seat upgrade to Economy Plus and then have others think they can move there for free. Would you agree?

Last edited by JimInOhio; Dec 23, 2020 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the United Airlines forum. I think most here would call it unfair to someone who purchased a seat upgrade to Economy Plus and they have others think they can move there for free. Would you agree?
IMHO, if you pay for E you get E. If you pay for E+ you get E+.

But ... If you pay for E and if there are empty rows in E, I see nothing wrong with sitting somewhere else. You're still in E, just somewhere with an empty seat beside you.
csufabel and ARR72 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I've been a UA MP (and CO OnePass) member since the mid-80s, and have flown a cumulative 4.2 million miles. Lots of ups and downs (at least the number of landings has equaled the number of take-offs!). Many great experiences and a few not so great. But to call UA unethical is unfair. UA is a business, and just like all of us, is working to survive the pandemic. In the spirit of the holidays, I look forward to a terrific, healthy, and (when able) safely travel-filled 2021 for all!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR

Want priority? Pay for it or earn it through status. Want more space? Pay for it or earn it through status.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 23, 2020 at 2:06 pm Reason: Discuss the issue
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by RCyyz
IMHO, if you pay for E you get E. If you pay for E+ you get E+.

But ... If you pay for E and if there are empty rows in E, I see nothing wrong with sitting somewhere else. You're still in E, just somewhere with an empty seat beside you.
I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that the discussion was about E+.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Doesn't really seem unethical to me. You're free to change seats to something empty within your ticketed cabin. You cannot self-upgrade from Y to Y+, W, or J simply because there's an empty seat there.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
This is the way it should be, nothing unethical about it. Look at from UA's perspective, if anyone can sit in E+ after paying for only E, who would spend more money to buy E+? or First class for that same logic?
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.