Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

December 2021 Flight Schedule (when available for booking)

December 2021 Flight Schedule (when available for booking)

Old Dec 20, 20, 4:33 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K
Posts: 696
December 2021 Flight Schedule (when available for booking)

Given we all ought to have our vaccines on board by next Fall, I wanted to book holiday travel for next year ahead of time. Any idea when December will finally be in the United reservation system?

Have as safe a holiday as possible this year everybody!

Eric
ekwang is offline  
Old Dec 20, 20, 4:34 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,515
Probably November 2021
HNLbasedFlyer is online now  
Old Dec 20, 20, 4:53 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,597
Originally Posted by ekwang View Post
Given we all ought to have our vaccines on board by next Fall, I wanted to book holiday travel for next year ahead of time. Any idea when December will finally be in the United reservation system?
UA opens its flights for booking approximately 330 days prior to departure, so late December will be available around February 1.

In general, I do not recommend this approach unless you know the market extremely well and can identify a deal. Even for holiday periods, it's rare for UA to offer its best fares up front.
jsloan is online now  
Old Dec 20, 20, 5:13 pm
  #4  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 53,561
Originally Posted by ekwang View Post
... I wanted to book holiday travel for next year ahead of time. ...
Why would want to book so far in advance?
Hopefully things will be more normal but schedules and aircraft which likely see multiple changes. And UA pricing physiology is not to offer cheap rices early.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Dec 20, 20, 5:25 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K
Posts: 696
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
UA opens its flights for booking approximately 330 days prior to departure, so late December will be available around February 1.

In general, I do not recommend this approach unless you know the market extremely well and can identify a deal. Even for holiday periods, it's rare for UA to offer its best fares up front.
Thanks for the advice. I never really gave it much thought but now I will. Have a safe Christmas!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Why would want to book so far in advance?
Hopefully things will be more normal but schedules and aircraft which likely see multiple changes. And UA pricing physiology is not to offer cheap rices early.
Understood. Thanks for the advice.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 20, 20 at 5:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
ekwang is offline  
Old Dec 21, 20, 5:25 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Haze gray and underway
Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Posts: 1,428
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Why would want to book so far in advance?
Hopefully things will be more normal but schedules and aircraft which likely see multiple changes. And UA pricing physiology is not to offer cheap rices early.
There are some people that really do hard plan that far out and donít care/know about such small details like AC and schedule changes. They might want to nail the ultimate vacation spot or ensure the much greater goal of ensuring their vacation request gets approved. Personally I donít understand them as I have trouble just committing to next week. :-)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Dublin_rfk is offline  
Old Dec 21, 20, 1:36 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 3,335
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
There are some people that really do hard plan that far out and donít care/know about such small details like AC and schedule changes. They might want to nail the ultimate vacation spot or ensure the much greater goal of ensuring their vacation request gets approved. Personally I donít understand them as I have trouble just committing to next week. :-)
Indeed. I routinely make almost all of my annual travel reservations using fully refundable fares all at one time near the beginning of the year. Although with 2021 flight schedules so completely uncertain, not sure this makes any sense for 2021...
SPN Lifer likes this.
physioprof is offline  
Old Dec 21, 20, 2:03 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,597
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Indeed. I routinely make almost all of my annual travel reservations using fully refundable fares all at one time near the beginning of the year.
But... why?

You're likely paying many times what it would cost to buy non-refundable fares close-in, and I doubt you're saving any money at all over what refundable fares would cost close-in.

If it works for you, so be it, but that is definitely not a strategy I'd recommend.
jsloan is online now  
Old Dec 21, 20, 6:03 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: San Francisco
Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Posts: 412
I used to routinely plan 8-9 months in advance, partially because I legitimately enjoy trip planning. The uncertainty in the schedule at that point can actually be a bonus. I've frequently booked the cheaper, less convenient option, knowing that I'll have a chance at switching to a more convenient option with the fare difference waived if there's a significant change. And of course, I'm fine with the inconvenient option if that doesn't happen. For 2021 I'm planning quite far in advance, but more because I have a variety of vouchers with a variety of expiration dates I don't want to allow to lapse.

And of course, for points bookings it definitely makes sense to start looking for availability as early as possible
SPN Lifer likes this.
zymm is offline  
Old Dec 21, 20, 9:57 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SRQ, PDX
Programs: UA 1 MM
Posts: 733
Originally Posted by zymm View Post
I used to routinely plan 8-9 months in advance, partially because I legitimately enjoy trip planning.
Same, but then 2020 changed all of that. I don't see that hospitable environment returning any time soon.
artvandalay is offline  
Old Dec 22, 20, 1:06 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 3,335
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
But... why?

You're likely paying many times what it would cost to buy non-refundable fares close-in, and I doubt you're saving any money at all over what refundable fares would cost close-in.

If it works for you, so be it, but that is definitely not a strategy I'd recommend.
Because we enjoy to plan & reserve our entire year of travel (90%+ leisure) ahead of time, we have no interest in non-refundable fares, and we aren't concerned with getting the cheapest possible refundable fares. And we like to lock in our favored seats (1AB or 1EF).
physioprof is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: