Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passenger With Coronavirus Dies On United Flight (UA591 MCO-LAX 14 Dec 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger With Coronavirus Dies On United Flight (UA591 MCO-LAX 14 Dec 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
I think most of them would *say* they wouldn't fly but that's not the same as what they would actually do...
if it was an anonymous survey I bet they'd say they would fly.
​​​​​​ they would then all say that OTHERS shouldn't do the same.

Alternative may be separating from family, or very expensive. Is it even feasible to check IN to a hotel or pickup a rental car for a cross country drive if saying "I'm here because I have covid"??

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
WaPo and USA Today plus others have it today
Originally Posted by artvandalay
It's on the front page of the Wall Street Journal at the moment
I saw these shortly after my post, thx

I suspect everyone on that UA flight will be flying free for a while as a gesture of goodwill/damage control. Perhaps gift cards for 'unexpected holiday quarantine' expenses.
Miggles likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 1:13 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Having been on a flight that diverted (to ORD>DEN>SFO) to off-load a deceased pax two or three years ago, I feel awful for the people on board that had to deal with this. A good example of why the issue of liability around Covid is such a political football in D.C. right now.

To the notes above, clearly the instances of people flying while knowingly infected was always well above zero. Just disappointing that people can rationalize self interest that much. WSJ article is going to keep UA PR busy this weekend.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by LIH
Having been on a flight that diverted (to ORD>DEN>SFO) to off-load a deceased pax two or three years ago, I feel awful for the people on board that had to deal with this. A good example of why the issue of liability around Covid is such a political football in D.C. right now.

To the notes above, clearly the instances of people flying while knowingly infected was always well above zero. Just disappointing that people can rationalize self interest that much. WSJ article is going to keep UA PR busy this weekend.
That's why the US leads the world in COVID numbers. It is what it is.
ijgordon and Miggles like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton
Originally Posted by expert7700
If you poll 100 Americans what they would do if they have covid symptoms near the end of their vacation, or if symptoms develop prior to a connecting flight, I guarantee you a large portion will say they'd continue their trip back home....Putting everyone at risk.
No one plans for a 14-day quarantine in addition to their original itinerary. Economics becomes a factor in the decision. Also, what is the guarantee a hotel will let you check in for a 14-day quarantine after one tests positive. There are aspects to "putting everyone at risk" that are not being discussed.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite
Correct. I was surprised they didn't even take temps for boarding. Just did a flight there 12-6.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by timbre
I am NOT convinced it actually happened. I can find no other place that has covered this story. In a period of COVID, it seems like this should be bigger news and covered in more than just a blog post.
This did not age well (despite your ALL CAPS)
ijgordon and NPF like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by artvandalay
It's on the front page of the Wall Street Journal at the moment
And NYT.com
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by malgudi
And NYT.com
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/18/u...e=articleShare
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
And NYT.com
Yea, I see it. Sounds like a possible PR disaster here.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So all other factors aside, let me get this straight - a passenger passed away inflight from a full-blown infection of coronavirus, and all United did to mediate the risk to current - and future - passengers on this particular aircraft is wipe down the deceased passengers seat???
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
So all other factors aside, let me get this straight - a passenger passed away inflight from a full-blown infection of coronavirus, and all United did to mediate the risk to current - and future - passengers on this particular aircraft is wipe down the deceased passengers seat???
Apparently...
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lsquare
Apparently...
This company is really it's own worst enemy
lsquare and BlueSky72 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
- a passenger passed away inflight from a full-blown infection of coronavirus, ....
Don't believe there has been a released cause of death but some speculation elsewhere focuses on heart failure -- certainty reported symptoms and the chest compressions would be consistent with that. The wife did stated the husband had tested COVID positive but not much more than that is known, so perhaps best to wait for more information

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2020 at 12:07 am
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Don't believe there has been a released cause of death but some speculation elsewhere focuses on heart failure -- certainty reported symptoms and the chest compressions would be consistent with that. The wife did stated the husband had tested COVID positive but not much more than that is not known, so perhaps best to wait for more information
I don't think we, or United needed to wait for an official cause of death - a responsible company run by competent leaders would connect the dots available at that moment in time which references a coronavirus positive customer showing signs of respiratory distress who then passes away during the flight. The appropriate measure is to remove all customers and employees from the aircraft and subject it to a thorough disinfectant and cleaning from front to back and top to bottom with a ventilation system filter change before placing it back in service, which would be accomplished long before an official cause of death is available.

There is absolutely zero excuse for simply wiping down one seat, placing the aircraft in service, and then calling "mission accomplished".
estnet, Miggles, lsquare and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think we, or United needed to wait for an official cause of death - a responsible company run by competent leaders would connect the dots available at that moment in time which references a coronavirus positive customer showing signs of respiratory distress who then passes away during the flight. The appropriate measure is to remove all customers and employees from the aircraft and subject it to a thorough disinfectant and cleaning from front to back and top to bottom with a ventilation system filter change before placing it back in service, which would be accomplished long before an official cause of death is available.

There is absolutely zero excuse for simply wiping down one seat, placing the aircraft in service, and then calling "mission accomplished".
Scott Kirby is probably not going to sleep well tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.