Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passenger With Coronavirus Dies On United Flight (UA591 MCO-LAX 14 Dec 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger With Coronavirus Dies On United Flight (UA591 MCO-LAX 14 Dec 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Happens all the time. Obviously intoxicated passenger, vomiting in the waiting area, bizarre behavior, aggressive actions, etc.

My point was that airlines have an obligation to deny boarding when it is obvious and that some people are difficult to assess. In this circumstance, if the passenger was in a wheelchair, ashen, diaphoretic, unstable walking, short of breath, not able to respond to verbal cues, then UA should have denied boarding and has a responsibility to do so.

Reasonable is the word here and not assuming the bottom of the slope is where it'll go.
Here's what I've seen many times over many years (from your list):

Wheelchair bound
Diaphoretic (had to look it up... perspiring)
Short of breath
Not able to respond to verbal cues (though accompanied)
Ashen? that's way too subjective

There's never been a call to ban all of these people from flights so I don't know why you're bringing it up in this thread.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by timbre
I am NOT convinced it actually happened. I can find no other place that has covered this story. In a period of COVID, it seems like this should be bigger news and covered in more than just a blog post.
I found 1 (and only 1) link

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/unite...ergency-flight
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
It's worth thinking about whether, in light of the likely overall community positivity rate & likelihood of asymptomatic spread, the presence of this one known-infected individual on the plane substantially increased the risk of infection to the other passengers.
This x1000.

Yes, in this story, the family in question should have acted differently. But they may well have been sitting three rows away from someone else who was also positive but simply didn't know it. We seem to have a national (international?) obsession with finding someone to blame every time something goes wrong. If you are in close proximity to other people during a pandemic, you may get sick. If you're not comfortable with that level of risk, you shouldn't get on the plane.

And, as far as UA's COVID check-in questions go: I can't imagine anyone who knew they had a positive result going to the airport and then answering that question honestly. It's completely contrary to human nature. Anyone who would be likely to tell the truth wouldn't go to the airport in the first place.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
And, as far as UA's COVID check-in questions go: I can't imagine anyone who knew they had a positive result going to the airport and then answering that question honestly. It's completely contrary to human nature. Anyone who would be likely to tell the truth wouldn't go to the airport in the first place.
I don’t disagree. But when you knowingly lie on the questions the liability shifts to the passenger - that’s why you ask the questions
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by meducate
Interesting point re carrying masks. UA (and other airlines) carry onboard medical kits; I have used the UA and LH kits in the past. They carry basic PPE but not N95s that I have seen. Adding an infectious disease component would likely be a good idea!
UAL is carrying additional supplies on every aircraft in response to the pandemic including additional gloves, sanitizing supplies, and both surgical and N95 masks.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:55 pm

You know how US airlines ask questions like "who packed your bags" and "has your bag been with you the entire time" etc when coming in from abroad?

United should do the same with COVID, in person, not on the kiosk. Even if the couple lied, they might have seen he was clearly sick and should be banned.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
You know how US airlines ask questions like "who packed your bags" and "has your bag been with you the entire time" etc when coming in from abroad?

United should do the same with COVID, in person, not on the kiosk. Even if the couple lied, they might have seen he was clearly sick and should be banned.
I would hate to be the person with that job!

Although, taking what has been reported on the blogs at face value, there are definitely some things United could have done better, this problem is much bigger than anything United can handle on its own. There are way too many infections out and about, and there is very little infrastructure for reliably screening people everywhere right now.
lsquare and EdofFX like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
The couple lied to UA and posed a public health risk. Period.

They should be prosecuted and banned from the airline permanently.
banned from ALL airlines!
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by J_Stroming
It is very possible the husband filled out the electronic declaration and didn’t inform his wife about it. It’s also possible the ticketing agent checked them in manually, not sure if they have protocol to ask those questions on their screens if you choose not to check in on the electronic kiosk. Either way doesn’t seem like a lawsuit gets far here.
except the wife stated she knew he had COVID after the event. How would she know that unless he told her?
lsquare and EdofFX like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I would hate to be the person with that job!

Although, taking what has been reported on the blogs at face value, there are definitely some things United could have done better, this problem is much bigger than anything United can handle on its own. There are way too many infections out and about, and there is very little infrastructure for reliably screening people everywhere right now.
Agreed, this is the type of situation where the federal government should have stepped in and put enhanced checks at TSA or elsewhere.

People have noted that taking people's temperature misses most cases, but that would have probably worked in this situation.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by physioprof
It's worth thinking about whether, in light of the likely overall community positivity rate & likelihood of asymptomatic spread, the presence of this one known-infected individual on the plane substantially increased the risk of infection to the other passengers.
Hopefully, they are doing contact tracing and getting anyone else on the plane who might have been in close contact tested as well, including the wife.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Here's what I've seen many times over many years (from your list):

Wheelchair bound
Diaphoretic (had to look it up... perspiring)
Short of breath
Not able to respond to verbal cues (though accompanied)
Ashen? that's way too subjective

There's never been a call to ban all of these people from flights so I don't know why you're bringing it up in this thread.
The context of the post has been missed. It is used in conjunction with assessing the fitness of a passenger to fly which UA has an obligation to do. It's not an absolute condition as you allude and this is where COMMON SENSE is useful.

Pale, ashen, cyanotic are all medical terms that are used in medical documentation and, thus, not subjective. White, grey, and blue might be easier terms to understand and, for most, an objective description.

I bring it up in relationship to many people exclaiming UA is completely without fault and my point is they might not be without further information. This includes how the passenger appeared prior to boarding.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SSF556
Has HIPAA been thrown out the window?
Can you clarify what you're suggesting? e.g. I freely admit to being mostly ignorant of health care laws, but does HIPAA apply to UA, its employees, or any of the witnessing pax on the plane?
kilo, Miggles, st3 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
First, sorry to all involved, both living and deceased. Second, health experts advise against non essential travel. Third, those who do decide to travel commercially, after 10 months of Covid info, should know risks involved with travel and interactions with other humans. Finally, no guns were pulled by airline staff to have you board the aircraft against your will. Summary: Personal responsibility is in play!!!
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
.........United should do the same with COVID, in person, not on the kiosk. Even if the couple lied, they might have seen he was clearly sick and should be banned.
I thought UA asks those question already. I checked in with an agent at LGA last month as I had a bag to check; I was asked those two questions on OLCI screen again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.