anyone even using PlusPoints these days?

Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
anyone even using PlusPoints these days?

I have only taken a few flight in the past few months - and most have been using miles and since I have a UA Credit card, I seem to get upgraded automatically since most of the flights are relatively empty (and around 2 hours max). Now that I am getting (slowly) back into domestic paid flights (and unclear when/if travel international again) - as a 1K, tend to be higher on the upgrade list (does anyone know what gives more priority - 1K vs credit card holders?).... given the current loads and such, is it even worth using PP these days?

for example - in a could of weeks, I have a DEN-ORD (2 hour flight) on a 777 with either lay flats or maybe even Polaris... looks like plenty of seats available everywhere - in fact, if I stay in E+ and forgo the upgrade, I could probably get an entire row (or at least an empty middle seat) to myself....in fact, I have refused an upgrade to stay in an entire empty row.

I have several hundred PP and I think they are scheduled to expire in July 2021 or so....so, yes - use them or lose them, but what can or should we use them for?

-m
Old Dec 6, 2020, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mfirst
I have only taken a few flight in the past few months - and most have been using miles and since I have a UA Credit card, I seem to get upgraded automatically since most of the flights are relatively empty (and around 2 hours max). Now that I am getting (slowly) back into domestic paid flights (and unclear when/if travel international again) - as a 1K, tend to be higher on the upgrade list (does anyone know what gives more priority - 1K vs credit card holders?).... given the current loads and such, is it even worth using PP these days? ...
There are domestic flights not CPU eligble, but for short CPU, especially non-hub-to-hub, reports suggest CPU is working for elites.
CPU Clearance Experiences

Status and fare is still the primary metric but in your status/fare group having certain cards (Club/PresPlus), also corporate preferred customer help -- overrides time of request, so a minor plus
Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively
Effective August 14, 2018, upgrade waitlists are processed in the following priority order:
  1. Premier status of the traveler
  2. Fare class
  3. Chase United MileagePlus Club cardholder
  4. United Corporate Preferred participant
  5. Time of request
Later in 2018: We will include upgrade priority for primary Chase United MileagePlus Cardmembers who have met the $25K annual spend Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver on a Chase MileagePlus co-brand card. Priority order for these Cardmembers will fall after United Corporate Preferred participants and before time of request.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I understand - but given the fact that the "math" has changed with regards to flight loads and chances of upgrades - is it even worth using PP to upgrade a week or 2 in advance? I know the rules have not changed - and it is still a gamble, but the odds are now different.... and since many of the benefits to upgrading are no longer there (meals, space, and maybe drinks - which 1K's kinda get anyhow) - it is even worth using PP or is there any reason that people are using to save them?
...especially since some people have hundreds of points?

-m
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, I've burned them on SFO-PHX so I could confirm a single on the E75. 20 points = $90. I still have 300 PP left to burn, so I'm fine with the low dollar value.
nnn, bluedemon211 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
I've used mine on mid-con flights when there were few F seats left (close-in booking) and/or when points were expiring soon. If you anticipate you can use all your points on trans-cons and/or Polaris flights before expiration, don't use them on shorter flights; if there's doubt, use them.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Used 80 PlusPoints for EWR-IAD-ZRH, and 40 PlusPoints ZRH-IAD last month. Economy to First/Polaris.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
PZ TATL and some TPAC is great right now through EOS. Use them now
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have used a few hundred this year. Virtually every flight I have taken this year has been an award ticket, and using the Plus Points assured I was sitting in front with fewer people nearby. Probably more than half of the flights I would have been upgraded anyway, but I got my choice of seat. On the ERJ-175 that is especially valuable.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I have burned thru 380 this year and have another 600 pending.

Everything has cleared so far this year. My Vacation next summer is 480 of the 600 pending so we will see on those.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Everything I have put in for has cleared
Old Dec 6, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I have used 40 PP to upgrade to Polaris for Shanghai-SFO-Newark on a 35K mileage ticket.

Probably best deal.

Also I thought that PP is extended to Jan. 2022?
cesco.g, nnn, uanj and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I wouldn’t expect empty rows on a hub-hub flight. If you run into weather or unexpected IRROPs that could disappear. I would use the PlusPoints for flatbed.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kb1992
Also I thought that PP is extended to Jan. 2022?
Mine all show July 31, 2021 expiration.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Mine all show July 31, 2021 expiration.
​​​​​​If I'm not mistaken the update is scheduled for Dec 15.
Lori_Q, nnn and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 9:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
​​​​​​If I'm not mistaken the update is scheduled for Dec 15.
from MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi drewguy, as a part of our program announcement today, we have extended PlusPoints expiring on/after January 1, 2021 another 6 months, and that would include PlusPoints that have a current expiration of 7/31/21. Therefore, those will be extended and will expire at the end of January 2022. Please allow for up to December 15, 2021 for us to make this extension.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi eng3, correct, those are the requirements for earning status in 2022. You will also receive a PQP deposit based on your 2021 status level at the end of 2020, and you will get a PQP bonus of 100% on each of your first three PQP-eligible trips taken between January 1, 2021 and March 31, 2021. You’re right, we already did extend PlusPoints once when we announced changes to our program in April of 2020. We’re extending PlusPoints expiring on/after January 1, 2021 once again – so if you have any PlusPoints expiring after that date, expect them to be extended 6 months and we’ll do so no later than December 15, 2020.
nnn likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.