Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone even using PlusPoints these days?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2021, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Recently used 80 PP to upgrade two LH segments GRU-FRA-DXB, both cleared immediately.
I'd use these PP on United if it wasn't for the travel bans.
Old May 8, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Note also that the UA upgrade process has not been consistent or predictable since PP were introduced. They've never fully ironed out the IT issues.
A current issue I encountered using PP today. SMF-SAT RT. If you apply PP at time of booking 20 PP each direction, total of 40. To use a credit I had to purchase first and then go to reservation to apply. System wanted 20 for each leg for a total of 80. 1K applied the correct amount for me and admitted it wasn't the first call received regarding the IT problem.
Old May 8, 2021, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
For example, JFK-LAX (May 18, PZ7) and JFK-SFO (May 11, PZ9; May 14, PZ2; May 19, PZ4).
The PZ # for one of those flights was higher before Friday

ex-JFK PZ spaces are like me in candyland
Old May 9, 2021, 12:44 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dkmatter
I've used ~500 on international flights and a few transcons. Other than one transcon, everything caught a PZ.
That's great! I've been trying to find flights out to he Asia Pacific region with no luck. Maybe the seats would appear closer to the flights but I didn't want to pay double on the class fare for a possibility. I've resigned I may use them on some domestic legs but so far have had no luck out of IAH for this summer. Everything is waitlisted.
Old May 9, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Snow n Sail
That's great! I've been trying to find flights out to he Asia Pacific region with no luck. Maybe the seats would appear closer to the flights but I didn't want to pay double on the class fare for a possibility. I've resigned I may use them on some domestic legs but so far have had no luck out of IAH for this summer. Everything is waitlisted.
See this thread about zero PZ (or PN) being made available in advance for TPAC flights: TPAC upgrade space blocked?.

This complete lack of TPAC PZ (compared to wide open PZ on TATL and South American flights) been an ongoing (and extremely maddening) issue that UA has refused to address for almost a year.
Old May 9, 2021, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by leoo
Recently used 80 PP to upgrade two LH segments GRU-FRA-DXB, both cleared immediately.
I'd use these PP on United if it wasn't for the travel bans.
it's a great use of +Ps. I look forward to seeing LH F return to the US so I can use my +Ps again
leoo likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Upgraded a friend from XN on both segments of IAH-EWR-IAH. Interestingly, the upgrade for tomorrow's return flight cleared today and F is full; I don't think I've ever seen an upgrade clear into the last F seat the day before departure; these usually always process (if at all) shortly before boarding or even while on board.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
Upgraded a friend from XN on both segments of IAH-EWR-IAH.
I didn't think you could use PPs on an award ticket?
Old May 9, 2021, 7:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Doppy
A GS can
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Doppy
special people get special rules
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: Aadvantage Plat
Got the chance to fly for business this week on KUL-NRT-LAX-SAN. Upgrade with miles cleared immediately. I'd say business cabin was 60% empty.

This weekend I'll be flying SJO-EWR-BOM and got EWR-BOM upgrade cleared right away with PlusPoints (friend's plus points), but no more points to upgrade SJO-EWR. Seems availability is all over the place.

I'm just a general member but family from a friend (1k) had some points to spare and gave them to me.

Pretty darn good if you can fly, if you are a premium member you'd prob have a very high chance to get complimentary upgrades as international flights have pretty light load, specially business.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 11:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gurbina93
... if you are a premium member you'd prob have a very high chance to get complimentary upgrades as international flights have pretty light load, specially business.
UNless it is a CPU, complimentary upgrades on international flights are highly unusual.
Complimentary upgrades when UA's international premium / Polaris cabin(s) are open?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gurbina93
Got the chance to fly for business this week on KUL-NRT-LAX-SAN. Upgrade with miles cleared immediately. I'd say business cabin was 60% empty.

This weekend I'll be flying SJO-EWR-BOM and got EWR-BOM upgrade cleared right away with PlusPoints (friend's plus points), but no more points to upgrade SJO-EWR. Seems availability is all over the place.

I'm just a general member but family from a friend (1k) had some points to spare and gave them to me.

Pretty darn good if you can fly, if you are a premium member you'd prob have a very high chance to get complimentary upgrades as international flights have pretty light load, specially business.
SJO-EWR should have been waitlisted for free. Looks like it was applied incorrectly. Not much to be done about that these days unless EWR-BOM is still available.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've had success lately on SFO-PHX. Basically 20 PP to confirm a single on the E75, rather than crapshoot seat assignment on CPU.
cfischer likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
SFO-EWR on Jun 7, 772, boarding announcement included 13 GS and 30 1K. Upgrade list had over 20 names, obviously all using PP, 1 person was upgraded ( we don't know how many cleared before and did not show up on upgrade list). Good thing I canceled my request to upgrade with PP and instead used 80 PP each to upgrade FRA-ORD in December.
Repooc17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.