FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA "TravelBank" Q&A , with option to deposit funds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2029660-ua-travelbank-q-option-deposit-funds.html)

serpens Mar 24, 2024 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 35956545)
I know that TB funds can only be used on United metal flights and in order to use them on partner flights purchased via United I should buy a United ticket for same/similar value, wait 24 hours and cancel to FFC which can then be used to book the partner flight.
[...]

Probably I'm reading too much into this, but what is the significance of "same/similar value" as opposed to the cheapest flight that will use up the TB funds? In other words, if I have $25 in TB (thank you, IHG) and want to use those TB funds for a $400 partner flight, why wouldn't I choose IAH-VCT for $78 rather than search for a $400 United flight to get the FFC? Thanks for any education.

econ Mar 24, 2024 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 36106255)
Probably I'm reading too much into this, but what is the significance of "same/similar value" as opposed to the cheapest flight that will use up the TB funds? In other words, if I have $25 in TB (thank you, IHG) and want to use those TB funds for a $400 partner flight, why wouldn't I choose IAH-VCT for $78 rather than search for a $400 United flight to get the FFC? Thanks for any education.

Don't know what the OP intended. Perhaps "same/similar value" as the TB fund?

If I was trying to "convert" TB funds into an FFC, I wouldn't spend any more out of pocket than I needed in order to do so.

serpens Mar 25, 2024 2:12 pm

I'm doing it wrong; please help

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 35956545)
I know that TB funds can only be used on United metal flights and in order to use them on partner flights purchased via United I should buy a United ticket for same/similar value, wait 24 hours and cancel to FFC which can then be used to book the partner flight.
[...]

The only good news is that UA 5024 Denver to Cheyenne is $60.10 on May 01. It seemed to be a good match for converting my $25 TB funds to FFC.

But I can't buy the ticket. I'm logged in (as evidenced by the ability to select TravelBank at the Checkout screen). I selected TravelBank, said I wanted to use the full $25, and entered my credit card and billing information in regions 3 and 4 (under region 2 TravelBank Cash, where I have a check mark next to the $25). But when I click Buy Now, the page immediately jumps so that "Please pay for the remaining value with a debit or credit card below to complete the purchase" is at the top of the screen. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? (I did deselect "Save credit card for onboard refreshment purchases" since I intend to cancel the ticket for a credit after a day. But if that's required, why am I allowed to deselect it?)

Thanks for any hints.

airb330 Mar 25, 2024 2:59 pm

^ Have you tried the app? I don't even get an option for TB unless I am in the app :rolleyes:

serpens Mar 25, 2024 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by airb330 (Post 36109351)
^ Have you tried the app? I don't even get an option for TB unless I am in the app :rolleyes:

No, I'm not an app person. I like a larger screen and a real keyboard. And I did have the TB option; it just didn't work--until later.

The problem has been solved. How? I wish I could tell you. I have three candidates.

First, I started from scratch. Well, not quite from scratch; I said I wanted to pay by credit card, which wiped out my previously entered information (but not the flight). Then I selected TravelBank again and proceeded as before.

Second, when I got to the phone number, I added dashes. Rather than 1234567890 (like the first time), I entered 123-456-7890. If that's what did it, shame on United for not saying how it wanted the phone number formatted.

Third, it was something else of which I am completely unaware.

Anyway, I now have a ticket and I'll cancel it the day after tomorrow, then make the codeshare reservation I really want.

WineCountryUA Mar 25, 2024 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 36109383)
Anyway, I now have a ticket and I'll cancel it the day after tomorrow, then make the codeshare reservation I really want.

What was your personal time ROI for $25 :D

serpens Mar 25, 2024 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 36109410)
What was your personal time ROI for $25 :D

Not enough, but you knew that. But that $25 was tax-free.

friedablass Mar 26, 2024 7:38 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 36106255)

In my case I was referring to finding a similar value ticket as the one I was trying to book on AC which was about $135 being that I had $1k in TB funds at that time and obviously wasn't going to use it all for that.

Originally Posted by econ (Post 36106574)
Don't know what the OP intended. Perhaps "same/similar value" as the TB fund?

If I was trying to "convert" TB funds into an FFC, I wouldn't spend any more out of pocket than I needed in order to do so.

Yes, of course if the amount of TB left is less than the ticket wanting to be purchased then you try to find a value of a ticket as close as possible to the remaining TB funds. I wouldn't either spend any more out of pocket than necessary.

SPN Lifer Mar 26, 2024 7:52 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post # 282) (Post 36060093)
No Travel bank for seat purchase after ticketing? (E+)?

Sorry, afraid not. From the Wikipost Q & A:

Quote:
3. Not for in-flight purchases, post-purchase E+ access or upgrades

serpens Mar 26, 2024 8:04 am

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 36111197)
In my case I was referring to finding a similar value ticket as the one I was trying to book on AC which was about $135 being that I had $1k in TB funds at that time and obviously wasn't going to use it all for that.
[...]

Well, silly me. I was sitting on $25 in TB and it just didn't occur to me that someone would have more dollars in TB than the desired ticket. Thanks for the explanation and expanding my world view.

druryvanek26 Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 36097961)
I wrote my experience above - submitting a refund request on the website seems to have done the trick for me to get the TB funds back for a canceled ticket. Not a single call or Twitter DM needed.

Just to provide an update. Requesting the refund on the website did not work for me. The refunds were already approved. It has now been 21 days since I canceled the reservation and the funds are not there. I am still told it can take up to 20 business days (so I guess I'm still within their acceptable timeframe).

nk15 Apr 2, 2024 8:47 pm

I noticed that TB is no longer showing as an option online, after I did Farelock (it was showing before). I believe I just have to call in to use the TB funds to purchase the locked fare, correct?

hurnik Apr 3, 2024 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 36131056)
I noticed that TB is no longer showing as an option online, after I did Farelock (it was showing before). I believe I just have to call in to use the TB funds to purchase the locked fare, correct?

No, can't be done directly, AFAIK.
You'll need to "convert" your Travel Bank to an FFC and then hope an agent will let you convert the FFC to an ETC and THEN you can use it for a farelock. The phone agents *may* be able to do this for you per this January 2024 DP:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35873740-post236.html

I thought I'd edited the Wiki for Both farelock and Travel Bank for this caveat, but either went mental or it got changed/removed.

nk15 Apr 3, 2024 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 36133062)
No, can't be done directly, AFAIK.
You'll need to "convert" your Travel Bank to an FFC and then hope an agent will let you convert the FFC to an ETC and THEN you can use it for a farelock. The phone agents *may* be able to do this for you per this January 2024 DP:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35873740-post236.html

I thought I'd edited the Wiki for Both farelock and Travel Bank for this caveat, but either went mental or it got changed/removed.

Do you think there are any issues with this, in the event of a cancellation? It will be a nonrefundable reservation, so in either case (do this or purchase outside a farelock; just eat the farelock cost) it will go back in as a future travel certificate, right? (and not in the TB).

hurnik Apr 3, 2024 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 36133361)
Do you think there are any issues with this, in the event of a cancellation? It will be a nonrefundable reservation, so in either case (do this or purchase outside a farelock; just eat the farelock cost) it will go back in as a future travel certificate, right? (and not in the TB).

I’m pretty sure it goes back as an FFC