FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA "TravelBank" Q&A , with new option to deposit funds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2029660-ua-travelbank-q-new-option-deposit-funds.html)

Micp3208 Jul 30, 20 11:30 am

UA "TravelBank" Q&A , with new option to deposit funds
 
Recevied an email today from MileagePlus advertising the United TravelBank again. It was being marketed as a way to budget future travel and by adding funds you will receive a 10% bonus. The deal may be worthwhile if you are traveling soon, but funds that are matched are deposited with 90 days and then those bonus funds are only valid for 120 days. The funds deposited by you are good for 5 years. . .

Interesting concept and way to get some short term cash flow if there are takers.

SAPriorityTag Jul 30, 20 12:30 pm


Originally Posted by Micp3208 (Post 32569611)
Recevied an email today from MileagePlus advertising the United TravelBank again. It was being marketed as a way to budget future travel and by adding funds you will receive a 10% bonus. The deal may be worthwhile if you are traveling soon, but funds that are matched are deposited with 90 days and then those bonus funds are only valid for 120 days. The funds deposited by you are good for 5 years. . .

Interesting concept and way to get some short term cash flow if there are takers.

This is very interesting. I have not (yet) received this email, and I'm not aware of any way to add funds to my TravelBank. Hmmm

Micp3208 Jul 30, 20 12:39 pm


Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag (Post 32569760)
This is very interesting. I have not (yet) received this email, and I'm not aware of any way to add funds to my TravelBank. Hmmm

This is the email link:
https://www.united.com/offers/travel...0&icid=7424127

There are six denominations you can choose from, $50 to $1,000.

mkasperzak Jul 30, 20 1:45 pm

Glad I got the invitation to Join TravelBank, or is it the NEW TravelBank, as I missed the email a year ago about the end of the program and would have let $425 expire in 3 months had I not checked to see my balance.

WineCountryUA Jul 30, 20 2:11 pm

The Travel Bank never when away. The $5 bonus per reservation from the United.com Club program and the Gift Registry method for submitting funds have gone away.
The Travel Bank credit card 1.5% credit still works and looks like there is now a new program for depositing funds

Xyzzy Jul 30, 20 4:44 pm

N:pw that it seems TravelBank purchases may be back I guess it's time to see whether it will still trigger Amex Platinum airline credit...

emcampbe Jul 30, 20 7:39 pm


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32569993)
The Travel Bank never when away. The $5 bonus per reservation from the United.com Club program and the Gift Registry method for submitting funds have gone away.
The Travel Bank credit card 1.5% credit still works and looks like there is now a new program for depositing funds

correct.

Iíve had this card since a few months after it was introduced, and always get the 1.5% TB cash deposited. The card is way less valuable than it once was - up until last year, or whenever it was that they did that devaluation from PQD to PQP, I used it to hit PQD waiver for my purchases that didnít get bonuses on my MP select (or for the discount on in-flight purchases). Now that spend doesnít even work to reduce PQP on that card, I rarely use it any more, much better to use Freedom Unlimited or other cards with bonus categories on those.

I didnít get an invite yet to add funds with a bonus - but probably wouldnít use that option right now - Iíll wait until I actually can envision wanting to travel for fun again. But love the TB for its flexibility - it has its issues, but one benefit, unlike with ETCs, is that you can choose the amount you want to use - for me, that means I can choose to use a few dollars less than the total trip cost, and then put the rest on my CSR, which give me the trip protection benefits of the card.

WineCountryUA Jul 30, 20 8:29 pm


Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 32570559)
.... But love the TB for its flexibility - it has its issues, but one benefit, unlike with ETCs, is that you can choose the amount you want to use - for me, that means I can choose to use a few dollars less than the total trip cost, and then put the rest on my CSR, which give me the trip protection benefits of the card.

And TB funds can be used for partner flights! What would be great would be depositing ETCs in the TB and consolidate the two programs.

ctownflyer Jul 31, 20 8:47 am

Is there any way to add more funds without the bonus after you take advantage of this offer?

Xyzzy Jul 31, 20 9:15 am

FWIW, I tried the offer link above and am prompted to log in. :pnce I enter my credentials my browser either displays a white screen or an error ... I tried using two different browsers. <sigh>

ctownflyer Jul 31, 20 9:26 am


Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 32571727)
FWIW, I tried the offer link above and am prompted to log in. :pnce I enter my credentials my browser either displays a white screen or an error ... I tried using two different browsers. <sigh>

Try F5 a couple times after signing in?

Xyzzy Jul 31, 20 9:35 am


Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 32571757)
Try F5 a couple times after signing in?

What is "F5" supposed to d:o? My keyboard has no such key (Macbook). I did try to reload (and shift-reload to force it) the page - with no success... then I tried Safari (I'd tried Firefox & Chrome earlier) and I was prompted to authenticate my account and then I saw the offer!

SAPriorityTag Jul 31, 20 11:39 am


Originally Posted by mkasperzak (Post 32569939)
Glad I got the invitation to Join TravelBank, or is it the NEW TravelBank, as I missed the email a year ago about the end of the program and would have let $425 expire in 3 months had I not checked to see my balance.

I'm glad you brought that up. This really has me curious because when I sign in it says that my TravelBank account balance is $0 (it's not). So I wonder if they'd have two separate accounts running.

SAP

Xyzzy Jul 31, 20 11:54 am

FWIW, my charge today posted as "UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETNG" so I'm d:(ubtful that it will trigger the Platinum card fee rebate (it used to). I'll post again if it does.

ctownflyer Jul 31, 20 11:59 am


Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag (Post 32572076)
I'm glad you brought that up. This really has me curious because when I sign in it says that my TravelBank account balance is $0 (it's not). So I wonder if they'd have two separate accounts running.

SAP

It's just not synced up, but when you fund it, it gets added to your regular TB balance.

cfischer Aug 2, 20 1:28 pm


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32570598)
And TB funds can be used for partner flights! What would be great would be depositing ETCs in the TB and consolidate the two programs.

that would be nice :) But I doubt it ;) Still, TB funds are easy to use, so no concerns buying at this 9% discount from my end. Will definitely do this. Need to think about if we should buy 2x$1k.


Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 32572102)
FWIW, my charge today posted as "UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETNG" so I'm d:(ubtful that it will trigger the Platinum card fee rebate (it used to). I'll post again if it does.

It used to post like this in the old days as well. When it came through ultimately there was no ticket number and it triggered the credit. We'll see I guess if they fixed that loophole. Hopefully not!

JNelson113 Aug 3, 20 1:09 pm


Originally Posted by Micp3208 (Post 32569788)
This is the email link:
https://www.united.com/offers/travel...0&icid=7424127

There are six denominations you can choose from, $50 to $1,000.

Has anyone had success logging in and purchasing? I was ready to buy $1000 but I keep getting an error log when I log in. Thank you!

Xyzzy Aug 4, 20 12:00 am


Originally Posted by JNelson113 (Post 32578777)
Has anyone had success logging in and purchasing? I was ready to buy $1000 but I keep getting an error log when I log in. Thank you!

:idea: Try a different browser. I got failures with Chrome and Firefox and had to use Safari.

JNelson113 Aug 4, 20 7:34 am


Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 32579925)
:idea: Try a different browser. I got failures with Chrome and Firefox and had to use Safari.

I tried Safari yesterday and it didn't work, but today it did. Thank you!

Xyzzy Aug 4, 20 12:44 pm


Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 32576527)
that would be nice :) But I doubt it ;) Still, TB funds are easy to use, so no concerns buying at this 9% discount from my end. Will definitely do this. Need to think about if we should buy 2x$1k.



It used to post like this in the old days as well. When it came through ultimately there was no ticket number and it triggered the credit. We'll see I guess if they fixed that loophole. Hopefully not!

After my purchase a few days ago under the new offer, today I was credited with the am:pount of my purchase categorized as, "AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement" :cool: :cool: :cool:

kalbear Aug 4, 20 2:03 pm


Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 32581329)
After my purchase a few days ago under the new offer, today I was credited with the am:pount of my purchase categorized as, "AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement" :cool: :cool: :cool:

Do you mind me asking how much did you buy? Thanks!

Xyzzy Aug 4, 20 2:05 pm


Originally Posted by kalbear (Post 32581541)
Do you mind me asking how much did you buy? Thanks!

I bought :pne hundred dollars of credit.

ctownflyer Aug 4, 20 2:56 pm


Originally Posted by kalbear (Post 32581541)
Do you mind me asking how much did you buy? Thanks!

Multiple data points and screenshots on my blog for $100 and $250, so it should work for any amount:
https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-car...dits-will-use/

Disclaimer: This link is to an online source in which I have a financial interest.

Flying Machine Aug 4, 20 6:38 pm


Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 32581673)
Multiple data points and screenshots on my blog for $100 and $250, so it should work for any amount:
https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-car...dits-will-use/

Disclaimer: This link is to an online source in which I have a financial interest.

Thanks, I saw it on your Twitter feed.. I read both articles that you posted and I tried for $250 in one shot. Iíll report back in a few daysÖ Hopefully with good news

ctownflyer Aug 4, 20 6:50 pm


Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 32571659)
Is there any way to add more funds without the bonus after you take advantage of this offer?

As covered on my blog, United media relations has told me that this will be an option after the end of the 10% promo!
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ne-fee-credit/

Disclaimer: This link is to an online source in which I have a financial interest.


Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32582088)
Thanks, I saw it on your Twitter feed.. I read both articles that you posted and I tried for $250 in one shot. I’ll report back in a few days… Hopefully with good news

Should work just fine, glad to see United bring this back!

cfischer Aug 5, 20 8:32 am

pulled the trigger and bought $1k + $100. Should be able to use the bonus at least till early March for late 2021 travel.

SPN Lifer Aug 5, 20 12:42 pm

Do Travel Bank purchases count toward PQP?

Or not until applied to a ticket, which is then used?

WineCountryUA Aug 5, 20 12:44 pm


Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 32583783)
Do Travel Bank purchases count toward PQP?

Or not until applied to a ticket, which is then used?

Not until applied to a flown ticket

MBS MillionMiler Aug 5, 20 1:57 pm


Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 32581329)
After my purchase a few days ago under the new offer, today I was credited with the am:pount of my purchase categorized as, "AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement" :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks so much for this. Now to find out what value I have left of my $200. On my very few UA flights I've been springing for internet even when barely wanting it, since I figured the $ would end up going to waste otherwise. This is awesome news.

I THINK that you can exceed the amount of the credit you have left, and it will deduct up to the amount you have remaining, right?

Xyzzy Aug 5, 20 2:31 pm


Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 32583971)

I THINK that you can exceed the amount of the credit you have left, and it will deduct up to the amount you have remaining, right?

:idea:Yes!

MBS MillionMiler Aug 5, 20 4:30 pm

So....Any way around what seems to be a 1-time purchase limit regardless of amount? Did $100, went back to do another $50 to round out my Amex credit and itís only displaying my previous $100 purchase with no way to do more.

ctownflyer Aug 5, 20 4:39 pm


Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 32584319)
So....Any way around what seems to be a 1-time purchase limit regardless of amount? Did $100, went back to do another $50 to round out my Amex credit and itís only displaying my previous $100 purchase with no way to do more.


Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 32582119)
As covered on my blog, United media relations has told me that this will be an option after the end of the 10% promo!
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ne-fee-credit/

Disclaimer: This link is to an online source in which I have a financial interest.


Flying Machine Aug 7, 20 6:36 pm

Anyone else try the Travelbank and get the AMEX reimbursement?

WineCountryUA Aug 7, 20 6:50 pm


Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32589442)
Anyone else try the Travelbank and get the AMEX reimbursement?

See AMEX forum discussion in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2020-a.html for multiple examples.

Flying Machine Aug 8, 20 7:37 am


Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32589442)
Anyone else try the Travelbank and get the AMEX reimbursement?

Update: it actually worked for meÖ


Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32589466)
See AMEX forum discussion in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2020-a.html for multiple examples.

Thanks! I guess Iím a little rusty these days and Iím not thinking like a true FlyerTalker. Since my wings have been clipped I havenít been that active, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Xyzzy Aug 8, 20 11:12 pm


Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32589442)
Anyone else try the Travelbank and get the AMEX reimbursement?

Yes - w:prks fine!

MBS MillionMiler Aug 10, 20 10:02 am


Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 32591585)
Yes - w:prks fine!

And thanks to your earlier report above, I dove in with a $100 TravelBank purchase and a $100 credit posted for me over the weekend. Now to just figure out what I have left after that and my inflight internet purchases, FareLocks (Those work too for the Amex credit! I was much more liberal with those when I wasn't getting the $200 reimbursed through the TravelBank), and an extra snack box here and there earlier in the year.

It's also finally back 'open' where you can contribute again (sans the 10% bonus)--wasn't working previously, seemingly for those that did make a previous purchase. Don't really like the fact the purchase amounts are predetermined by UA, but I guess I'm happy that contributions are back!

Traveler56789 Aug 13, 20 6:58 am


Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 32594267)
It's also finally back 'open' where you can contribute again (sans the 10% bonus)--wasn't working previously, seemingly for those that did make a previous purchase. Don't really like the fact the purchase amounts are predetermined by UA, but I guess I'm happy that contributions are back!

Can you share the link you used to make a second purchase? I'm using https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash, and when it opens it still shows my purchase of $100 from a few days ago and doesn't allow for a subsequent purchase.

MBS MillionMiler Aug 13, 20 8:30 am


Originally Posted by Traveler56789 (Post 32601225)
Can you share the link you used to make a second purchase? I'm using https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash, and when it opens it still shows my purchase of $100 from a few days ago and doesn't allow for a subsequent purchase.

I clicked on the Dan's Deals link above. Right after the pic of the Dreamliner, I clicked on "10% bonus promotion", which took me right to the screen to purchase it (I was already logged in to united.com, so it took me right to my account's page for adding the funds. (I'm sure ctownflyer doesn't mind us getting there by that route either!)

Traveler56789 Aug 13, 20 8:37 am


Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 32601411)
I clicked on the Dan's Deals link above. Right after the pic of the Dreamliner, I clicked on "10% bonus promotion", which took me right to the screen to purchase it (I was already logged in to united.com, so it took me right to my account's page for adding the funds. (I'm sure ctownflyer doesn't mind us getting there by that route either!)

Thank you. Just wanted to check. That's what I tried too, but it still shows my $100 receipt from a few days ago and doesn't allow me to make another purchase. I still have another $200 Amex airline credit to use.

I made the purchase on 8/9. Perhaps I'll give it a few more days and try again.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:04 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright @ MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.