FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA "TravelBank" Q&A , with new option to deposit funds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2029660-ua-travelbank-q-new-option-deposit-funds.html)

PsiFighter37 Dec 11, 20 6:26 pm

Got an email saying that grocery purchases on this card now earn 3x RDM per $1 spent until the end of next September. I won't be using it (have the 5x UR bonus from the Freedom Flex), but that is still a nice add-on.

UA Fan Dec 11, 20 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 32878136)
back to TB

Thanks. How about if the ticket was bought with a mix of TB and credit card?

WineCountryUA Dec 11, 20 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 32879796)
Thanks. How about if the ticket was bought with a mix of TB and credit card?

when refunding, each portion goes back to original purchase method

Hawkeyefan Dec 12, 20 10:50 pm

Tried to use TB funds for award tix fees and taxes. No dice. What bs.

cfischer Dec 13, 20 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan (Post 32882171)

:rolleyes: not that this was a surprise, was it?

Dream of Flying Dec 14, 20 12:05 pm

Novice question but how often does United run the bonus? I just missed the last round.

WineCountryUA Dec 14, 20 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dream of Flying (Post 32885403)
Novice question but how often does United run the bonus? I just missed the last round.

This is brand new, the first one was in Aug and the second cash was recently -- I would suspect there will be more but when???
There was a mileage (RDMs) bonus for one, so UA may try variations.
Subscribe to this thread as a way to hear if other one occurs.

emcampbe Dec 14, 20 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Brian Chen (Post 32870023)
Thanks! Weird I dont see it, it's a UNITED flight between EWR and Cancun UA 1052

It should show as long as flights are only UA/UAX. There was a bug a few months ago (I think ore-pandemic where it didnít show up for some people (though I didnít seem to have this issue), but was fixed. Perhaps the bug came back.

Other thought is - did you have other add ons/ancillary fees you bought at the same time as the ticket (E+ fee, upgrade, bundle, extra miles, etc)? My guess is this would also prevent the TravelBank option from showing, as I think itís only valid for new ticket

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32872861)
A lot of things nowadays are on shorter time frame to allow flexibility to react if conditions change. It is safer to keep renewing vs going long.
Also near-term expiration might encourage folks to act now versus waiting, not know if it will still be there later.

the last part, Iím sure. Especially with travel/airlines, they are looking to get $ now, and the better if they can get it without a service being purchased (yet). An close in expiry would promote people buying now, although if it truly is just a renewing promo, people will figure it out eventually (though there is always the risk it stops..likely would at some point).

A lot of Chase Offers are like that as well. I constantly have offers for Starbucks, Casper and others that just seem to auto-renew and are essentially there all the time.

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport (Post 32873995)
Does anyone know if travelbank funds can be used for upgrades or is it strictly for purchasing tickets?

tickets only - see terms.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 32875086)
May be old news, but I was surprised to be able to use some TB funds and part of an ETC on one ticket. Really adds value to the TB program!

Screenshot (FT Disclosure: On the blog that I own) and more details:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ns-one-ticket/

id guess a bug, and per a more recent comment, seems that they have stopped allowing this. Terms on both ETCs and TB used to say not combinable (but Iíll be honest, have not read terms of either for a while)

back in the day, I was somehow able to apply an ETC on an itin with a codeshare flight operated by US Air - or so I thought. It didnít ticket initially, and then I called in, and they talked about the codeshare and ETC (and they almost tried to cancel the whole thing rather than letting me pay the entire amount on a card, which was going to be an issue since the price was up over $100 each, IIRC). Back at that time, at least, And maybe itís changed, terms said it could be used on Ďselect codesharesí (or some similar wording), without specifyin which. Iíd suspect that is still the rule today.

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan (Post 32882171)

well, not really surprising, since the funds are for airfare, and not taxes and fees only. TB funds (and ETCs also, for the record) could never be used for taxes and fees on awards.

alany611 Dec 15, 20 11:01 am

No option to use my Travel Bank balance at payment. PLEASE HELP!

Going nuts over this. Not sure if it's a result of me searching for the same flight over and over, but the prices of my flights have increased almost 30-40% in the time I've been trying to figure this out (hopefully the price will go back down after waiting for an hour or two).

Every time I get to check out, I try to use my Travel Bank but there is no option under "Redemption Options." The following is an example from Google Images with the Travel Bank option boxed in red:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d90423c507.png

When I get to the payment screen, I don't see the Travel Bank option anywhere. What gives? I have $500 in my TravelBank that's been there since November. I checked to see if maybe I couldn't redeem that balance because I was booking a Basic Economy fare, but it's the same even with Full Economy. Please help!

IAH-OIL-TRASH Dec 15, 20 11:06 am

Does your booking include a non-United carrier?

WineCountryUA Dec 15, 20 11:19 am

Have you called UA for assistance? In particular, ask for Web Support.

General tips for UA web issues.
Log out
Clear UA cookies
Close all browser windows
Make sure you log back in

and try a different browser

fumje Dec 15, 20 11:38 am

Originally Posted by alany611 (Post 32887528)
Going nuts over this. Not sure if it's a result of me searching for the same flight over and over, but the prices of my flights have increased almost 30-40% in the time I've been trying to figure this out (hopefully the price will go back down after waiting for an hour or two).

Every time I get to check out, I try to use my Travel Bank but there is no option under "Redemption Options." The following is an example from Google Images with the Travel Bank option boxed in red:

img

When I get to the payment screen, I don't see the Travel Bank option anywhere. What gives? I have $500 in my TravelBank that's been there since November. I checked to see if maybe I couldn't redeem that balance because I was booking a Basic Economy fare, but it's the same even with Full Economy. Please help!

The website has been updated and usually serves a different payment form than the one in your image. You need to click the TravelBank tab. Also, you'll need to be signed in to use your TravelBank funds.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...93ea2d6866.png

If those are not the issue, I second the above suggestions.

alany611 Dec 15, 20 12:01 pm

Closing the loop on this so others may benefit from the info.

Steps I tried to fix myself:
-Different browsers (Chrome and Edge)
-Disabled adblockers (Ublock Origin)
-Cleared all cookies on UA (I use the EditThisCookie extension on Chrome)
-Was signed in to my UA account at all times
-United was the only carrier
-Booking was for round-trip domestic flight that was non-stop each way

Calling UA was also a nightmare. First person transferred me to Chase because they heard "Travel Bank." Chase transferred me back. The line disconnected at some point and I had to call UA again. Got transferred again. Transferred yet again. Finally the last person was able to help me, however by this time the total price increased $100. Went through some troubleshooting steps on the phone. They tried to have me select "pay at airport" but there was a message under "Other Forms of Payment" that said something along the lines of "Alipay and Pay at Airport are not options due to your current selections."

Finally this UA representative was kind enough to book the flight for me using my Travel Bank balance, waive the phone booking fees ($25 per ticket, $50 total?) and assign seats for our first flight that would have cost $54 as this is a basic economy fare, although I've been refreshing my trip details page and it still does not show that I have been assigned seats so I may need to call back if I want to try and get those seats assigned for free..

all in all I would not bother with the travel bank again if it were not for the Amex airline fee credits. what a nightmare.

WineCountryUA Dec 15, 20 12:24 pm

Seems like you got a adequate resolution

Originally Posted by alany611 (Post 32887703)
Calling UA was also a nightmare. ...

Whenever having a website issue, specially ask for "Web Support"
Also clearing the UA cookies will fix many things

alany611 Dec 15, 20 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32887762)
Seems like you got a adequate resolution Whenever having a website issue, specially ask for "Web Support"
Also clearing the UA cookies will fix many things

Left out clearing cookies on my list of troubleshooting steps, I had done so using a Chrome extension

also good to know now that I should be asking for Web Support, would save me the first transfer