FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA "TravelBank" Q&A , with new option to deposit funds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2029660-ua-travelbank-q-new-option-deposit-funds.html)

Brian Chen Dec 7, 20 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32870010)
It is a payment option, look for "Travel certificates and United® TravelBank cash"

Note it will only show for all UA operated itineraries -- just like ETCs

Thanks! Weird I dont see it, it's a UNITED flight between EWR and Cancun UA 1052

Kacee Dec 7, 20 10:03 pm

This promo expires Wednesday, December 9. If you'll be buying UA tix within the next four months, I honestly can't think of any reason not to take advantage of this promotion.

cfischer Dec 8, 20 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Brian Chen (Post 32870023)
Thanks! Weird I dont see it, it's a UNITED flight between EWR and Cancun UA 1052

holy crap, there are some cheap EWR-CUN flights. $210 in First.

Shows just fine for me. See screenshot.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3d919337a5.png

gpicur Dec 8, 20 6:28 am

Not if your TB Balance is Zero

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32869784)
On United.com, when viewing your account and there you can see your balance. Direct below the balance it has "View Details"

Hi WineCountry. Thanks for the speedy reply. I went to My Account and there was no "View Details" under my balance. However, I took advantage of the "10% TravelBank" Promotion and added $1,000 to my account. Once there was a balance ($1,100) the "View Details" hyperlink appeared. So, for those out there that have exhausted their TravelBank balance to zero, they will not see the "View Details" until they add additional value in their TB account.

msp3 Dec 8, 20 11:35 pm

Is there some reason the expiry date (for the promotion) is always just about to expire? It looks like it keeps on renewing itself?

WineCountryUA Dec 8, 20 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by msp3 (Post 32872837)
Is there some reason the expiry date (for the promotion) is always just about to expire? It looks like it keeps on renewing itself?

A lot of things nowadays are on shorter time frame to allow flexibility to react if conditions change. It is safer to keep renewing vs going long.
Also near-term expiration might encourage folks to act now versus waiting, not know if it will still be there later.

cfischer Dec 9, 20 5:54 am

Originally Posted by msp3 (Post 32872837)

This is only the 2nd time they have this 10% promo; there was another one in-between offering miles. If you look back at the 20% off gift cards promo from Marriott this May ... that one never came back. It is hard to predict that and if you think you'll be able to use the funds, why wait? Guess we are all hoping for a January promo for the obvious reasons, but will there be one? With the situation worsening, UA will likely be looking to bank some cash ... so I'd say it is likely we'll see another one. Time will tell.

Kacee Dec 9, 20 6:51 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 32873255)
If you look back at the 20% off gift cards promo from Marriott this May ... that one never came back. It is hard to predict that and if you think you'll be able to use the funds, why wait?

And these funds are way easier to use, because you can apply online with mixed forms of payment. I still have $170 orphan on a Marriott gift card.

BusinessCasualSport Dec 9, 20 10:52 am

Does anyone know if travelbank funds can be used for upgrades or is it strictly for purchasing tickets?

fumje Dec 9, 20 11:12 am

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport (Post 32873995)
Does anyone know if travelbank funds can be used for upgrades or is it strictly for purchasing tickets?

The only place I have seen it an option is ticket purchase.

mster Dec 9, 20 6:51 pm

Can you add travelbank funds anytime or only when there is a promotion?

For example the current 5-10% bonus promo runs ends tonight 12/9. Will it be possible to load travelbank funds tomorrow 12/10 after this promo expires?

cfischer Dec 9, 20 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 32875031)
Can you add travelbank funds anytime or only when there is a promotion?

For example the current 5-10% bonus promo runs ends tonight 12/9. Will it be possible to load travelbank funds tomorrow 12/10 after this promo expires?

yes, the reopened Travel bank. You can add funds outside of these promotions as well. Check out the thread in the Amex forum in particular ;)

ctownflyer Dec 9, 20 7:36 pm

May be old news, but I was surprised to be able to use some TB funds and part of an ETC on one ticket. Really adds value to the TB program!

Screenshot (FT Disclosure: On the blog that I own) and more details:
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ns-one-ticket/

UA Fan Dec 10, 20 8:12 am

If one cancels a ticket bought with TB funds, how is the refund processed? Back to TB or some kind of travel credit?

cfischer Dec 11, 20 4:54 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 32876156)
If one cancels a ticket bought with TB funds, how is the refund processed? Back to TB or some kind of travel credit?

back to TB