Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA "TravelBank" Q&A , with new option to deposit funds

UA "TravelBank" Q&A , with new option to deposit funds

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 14, 22, 9:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
The United Travel Bank has been around for many years. UA had a program where purchasing a ticket on united.com would receive a $5 Travel Bank bonus. This was called united.com Club and had an annual $25 subscription fee. This ended in early 2020. But funds are still accessible for 18 months after earning.
Also at one time the Travel Bank had a Gift Registry pre-2018.
For more on those prior Travel Bank Programs, see "TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Then for a period of time, Chase / UA offered a 1.5% cash-back Travel Bank credit card where the cash-back went into the Travel Bank, that ended Sept 2020
Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

*NEW* In July 2020, the Travel Bank was recasted as a cash pre-funding option that might have a short term bonus offering -- cash or miles or both.
Additionally it might be used for bank credit card travel reimbursement funds (no longer for some --such as AMEX )

TravelBank Terms and Conditions

What can I use Travel Bank funds for?
1. Only for an all UA operated itineraries
2. *NEW* Award fees & taxes and subscriptions appears eligible for use of TravelBank funds
3. Not for in-flight purchases, post-purchase E+ access or upgrades, ....

There have been reports that the Travel Bank option may not appear if doing Advance Flight Searches with options selected such as upgrade availability, ...
Purchases as need to be in USD $ and point of sale USA
For those with "Business Travel" option, when your account is linked to a UA corporate account, TravelBank may not be available. It does seems to be available for "Break from Business" usage

It may sometimes still fail to show and you may need to use an phone/twitter/FB/... agent
Sometime the app is more reliable

Do Travel Bank funds expire?
They could per T&Cs
- Older methods for funding -- united.com, travel bank card cash back .... have 18 month expiration from last deposit
- New cash funds have a 5 years expiration from deposit
- Bonus from cash deposit -- depends on promo T&Cs but recent terms have been 4 months
- Each $1 TravelBank Cash issued as Chase purchase bonus is valid through June 30, 2022
- CLEAR signup
$100 TravelBank credits will be valid for 9 months (late Aug/early Sept 2021) after the credit is deposited into memberís accounts.

Where can I see my Travel Bank balance / expiration?
Look in your My Account section and click on Details. https://www.united.com/en/US/account/travelbank

Funds have to be used / trip booked by expiration. Travel can be after expiration

Where can I add funds?
https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash
Members can choose from six purchase amount options and once purchased the value remains valid for five years from the date it is deposited in your TravelBank account. Purchases are not refundable and are limited to $5,000 per day per MileagePlus account. This purchase is also subject to all of the TravelBank terms and conditions.
Do I get PQP credit for flight purchases with Travel Bank funds?
Yes, UA treats the Travel Bank funds just like a cash purchase

What if I refund a ticket purchased with Travel Bank funds?
With a refund, the funds go back to original form of purchase, so the Travel Bank portion of the funds go back to the Travel Bank. (insufficient data to know if that is with the original expiration date or a new date). More recent reports suggest ETCs may be used unless this is an cancellation within 24 hours of purchase.

Can you use Travel Bank funds in conjunction with a Credit Card and/or ETCs?
Yes, you can select to pay in whole or in part with Travel Bank funds and then the remainder, if any, with the other forms of payment. There have been mixed reports about ETCs -- YMMV

Can you "deposit" your ETCs (or FFCs) into your Travel Bank?
No

Can I use the Travel Bank funds to purchase a ticket to someone else?
Yes but you have to be the purchaser

Can I transfer Travel Bank funds to someone else?
No

Can I cash out my Travel Bank funds?
No

What merchant category is Travel Bank?
It's treated as an airline purchase. American Express posts it as a ticketing fee while pending and then changes to just United Airlines.

Why does Travel Bank state "This offer has ended?"
This message appears during website maintenance.

Does Travel Bank count as a reimbursable incidental with American Express?
This topic is discussed in a separate thread. Do not contact Amex.

Does Travel Bank count as a reimbursable incidental for other credit cards? Post your experiences
Yes, for BoA cards
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 18, 20, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VWang1111 View Post
Didn't see this anywhere else but Travel bank is offering an additional 5 miles per dollar up to 5000 miles which is very tempting.

https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash
Thanks! I used for two AMEX cards that had Airline Credit remaining. I'm glad I didn't cash out earlier.
Old Sep 18, 20, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
This deal isn't going to turn any heads but its a decent deal. I was looking for xmas flights and purchased the wallet funds, got the bonus miles, and immediately booked my flight. All in all I'll get miles when i fly the flight, bonus miles from the promo, and credit card points.
Old Oct 16, 20, 8:34 am

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
When do TravelBank funds expire? OMAAT claims 5 years, but TB T&C says 18 months if you have no activity.
Old Oct 16, 20, 9:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
When do TravelBank funds expire? ....
What does your account say?
Go to My Account and find Travel Bank Balance, then click on More Details.
I have some funds expiring in 18 months from the last credit -- this was the 1.5% credit for using the card. Then I have a cash deposit (made last month) that expires 5 years from the deposit.
Old Oct 16, 20, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Does UA still give an ETC for expired TB funds?
Old Oct 16, 20, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
The term "expire" suggests otherwise.
Old Oct 16, 20, 3:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Does UA still give an ETC for expired TB funds?
While this was once true, it is no longer in the T&Cs

Was true in 2015, gone by at least 2018 -- probably removed during the closure and then reopening of TravelBank in 2017

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 16, 20 at 3:39 pm Reason: 2017 comment
Old Oct 18, 20, 10:15 am

Location: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
An update on my effort to extend an expiring TravelBank balance-
-Adding $50 did not help--original balance expiry date did not change
-Calling customer service did not help--Agent and supervisor told me adding money was "activity" and should have extended expiration, but there was nothing they could do. Suggested I contact Customer Care by email.
-Customer Care did not help--Never received a reply, or even acknowledgement of receipt.
-Used the full $170 value in my TravelBank account to purchase a $174 ticket, then cancelled within 24 hours. The $4 on a credit card was refunded right away but I got an email saying the balance was subject to audit and could take up to 30 days. In the meantime, TravelBank completely disappeared from my account on united.com.
-After 2 weeks, TravelBank reappeared in my account, the $120 old United.com Club balance showed up with an expiry date 18 months in the future and the recent $50 deposit showed up with expiry in 5 years.

So all good, but as I did not realize at the time, this should not have worked. According to section 12 of the TravelBank T&C: "In cases where TravelBank Cash is for any reason removed from an account, as for example the use of TravelBank Cash for a TravelBank Award, and there is a subsequent cancellation of a transaction and a redeposit of the TravelBank Cash to the Member's account, the cancellation of the transaction and redeposit of the TravelBank Cash to the account shall not qualify as "Account Activity."
Old Oct 18, 20, 11:50 pm

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Thanks for the update LGA1K . It's terrible that UA is making a mockery of their own T&C, with no customer service help. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon.
Old Oct 19, 20, 6:07 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I typically use my iPhone and the United app for making reservations. Throughout the reservation process and including payment I havenít see my travel bank balance prominently shown as a form of payment selection. Am I overlooking something? In fact, I donít see it at all. How about you?
Old Oct 27, 20, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; IHG/BW Plat; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Dia; Radisson Gold; Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Micp3208 View Post
This is the email link:
https://www.united.com/offers/travel...0&icid=7424127

There are six denominations you can choose from, $50 to $1,000.
Thanks for posting. I also added this to the wiki: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash.
Old Dec 1, 20, 4:53 am

I have the PRG card which is up for renewal and I haven't used my $100 UA credit yet this year. On a scale of 1-10 how bad of an idea is it to do the $100 Travelbank, wait for it to credit, and then cancel the card? If I wait a month or two to cancel, will they refund a portion of the annual fee? I am sick of paying for this card and getting basically nothing for it and I want out, but I'd love to take that $100 with me on my way.
Old Dec 3, 20, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Got an Email with another 10% promo ... hmmm ... will be a tough one to add even more funds right now.

We'll match up to 10% of the money you add to your account.
We want you to feel inspired to plan for your next trip. That's why we're matching up to 10% of the money you add to your TravelBank account until December 9, 2020.*

Terms and conditions:

*Members can choose from six purchase amount options and, once purchased, the value remains valid for five years from the date it is deposited in your TravelBank account. Purchases made between December 3, 2020, at 12:01 a.m. CT and December 9, 2020, at 11:59:59 p.m. CT, are eligible for a bonus deposit equal to 5% of the purchase value for purchases of $50 and $100, and 10% for purchases of $250, $500, $750 and $1,000. The bonus value expires 120 days from the bonus deposit date. Purchases of TravelBank cash are not refundable and are limited to $1,000 per promotion per MileagePlus account. This offer is also subject to all of the TravelBank terms and conditions. United has the right to terminate this promotion or to change the promotion’s terms and conditions, rules, regulations, policies and procedures, benefits, and/or conditions of participation, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice.
Old Dec 4, 20, 11:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
And TB funds can be used for partner flights! What would be great would be depositing ETCs in the TB and consolidate the two programs.
How sure are you that TB funds can be used for partner flights? Thought the T&Cs said no.
Old Dec 4, 20, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
But again I ask, what can TBfunds be used for. Just ticketing? C+? Upgrades? Lounge passes? Etc? No one knows.

Search this Thread