FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA "TravelBank" Q&A , with new option to deposit funds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2029660-ua-travelbank-q-new-option-deposit-funds.html)

54austin Jul 26, 22 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34461078)
certainly not online IME. You can try with an agent.

Ditto

vdostoi1 Jul 27, 22 9:31 am

Question for the forum. My wife, a non-elite, has some travel bank funds. I am a 1K. I would like to book tickets for my family of three (wife, daughter and myself) when logged into her account. If I attach my MP number to my ticket when logged into her account, will we get the regular elite benefits (i.e., selecting Economy + seats, etc.) or no? Thanks so much. I need to clarify my scenario, I can do so.

emcampbe Jul 27, 22 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by khkchan (Post 34459443)
I believe ETC can be used along with United Travel Bank for payments for tickets. Am I correct? Thanks.

Not correct.

Travelbank has never been allowed to be used in combination with any other United payment method. It's only been allowed to be used with cash (or CC, etc.).

The terms must have changed. At one point, pretty sure they specifically excluded using TravelBank with other forms of United payment, but currently, they seem to use this as a terms and conditions (under use of Travelbank Cash):

1. United may from time to time permit TravelBank Cash to be used as a form of payment in combination with other forms of payment including without limitation MileagePlus miles, cash, travel certificates or credit cards.

That implies that they might have a specific promo or similar where you can combine it with other types of payment methods, but they don't generally. That wording is interesting, since 'cash' is included, even though going back in the days of the TravelBank card, gift registry, etc., you could always combine TB funds and 'cash'. I guess they have an out if they want to not allow that at some point?

On the other hand, ETCs are also not combinable with other UA forms of payment. Those include FFCs - you can combine multiple FFCs to pay, or multiple ETCs, but can't combine these with each other, or with TravelBank.

Originally Posted by vdostoi1 (Post 34462914)
Question for the forum. My wife, a non-elite, has some travel bank funds. I am a 1K. I would like to book tickets for my family of three (wife, daughter and myself) when logged into her account. If I attach my MP number to my ticket when logged into her account, will we get the regular elite benefits (i.e., selecting Economy + seats, etc.) or no? Thanks so much. I need to clarify my scenario, I can do so.

The only kind of purchase where benefits of the 'purchaser' prevail are the fees applied when booking an award ticket. In that case, change/redeposit fees are based on the purchaser status, not the traveller.

For all other purchases, the status of the travelers are going to prevail. So with a 1K traveling, those benefits will apply to all travelers on the itinerary (with E+ seats limited to 8, I think, but bag allowance, etc. will be the same as normal).

vdostoi1 Jul 27, 22 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 34463399)

The only kind of purchase where benefits of the 'purchaser' prevail are the fees applied when booking an award ticket. In that case, change/redeposit fees are based on the purchaser status, not the traveller.

For all other purchases, the status of the travelers are going to prevail. So with a 1K traveling, those benefits will apply to all travelers on the itinerary (with E+ seats limited to 8, I think, but bag allowance, etc. will be the same as normal).

Thank you very much!

IADdelayed Jul 31, 22 4:09 pm

Can anyone confirm whether TB funds can be used to purchase a yearly E+ subscription?

jsloan Jul 31, 22 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by vdostoi1 (Post 34462914)

Yes. TravelBank is just a form of payment like any other. Once your MP number is on the reservation, your benefits will apply.

emcampbe Jul 31, 22 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by IADdelayed (Post 34474813)
Can anyone confirm whether TB funds can be used to purchase a yearly E+ subscription?

no. TB funds are for new UA/UAX tickets only (May be able to be used for ancillaries, like buying an E+ seat at same time as ticket purchase, but definitely not for a separate purchase like E+ sub).

To be clear, maybe an agent can wrangle around and and do it. But definitely not SOP.

IADdelayed Jul 31, 22 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 34474820)
no. TB funds are for new UA/UAX tickets only (May be able to be used for ancillaries, like buying an E+ seat at same time as ticket purchase, but definitely not for a separate purchase like E+ sub).

To be clear, maybe an agent can wrangle around and and do it. But definitely not SOP.

Thanks!

WineCountryUA Jul 31, 22 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by IADdelayed (Post 34474813)

Believe the answer may be YES

TravelBank Cash can be used alone or in combination with other forms of payment to pay for flights operated by United and United Express® and certain subscription products.
Works for WiFi but as a Plat I can not test if it works for E+ subscriptions

khkchan Aug 2, 22 10:44 pm

Seems TB can only be used for UA /UAX flights. If I buy an all UA /UAX itin using TB, cancel after 24 hours, and get a FFC. I can then use the FFC to book an itin including codeshares. Have anybody tried this ? Thanks.

WineCountryUA Aug 2, 22 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by khkchan (Post 34481760)
Seems TB can only be used for UA /UAX flights. If I buy an all UA /UAX itin using TB, cancel after 24 hours, and get a FFC. I can then use the FFC to book an itin including codeshares. .....

yes

blitzen Aug 24, 22 6:41 pm

Workaround for Travel Bank

Hi,

i want to finally use my Travel Bank, but then I look at flights to Europe the last Intra Germany flight is on LH so I can’t apply the balances.
Did anyone ever try to book only to FRA or MUC (aka all UA until then) and then call in to have the last leg added (for the few $ fare difference- less than $50 bucks)?
so hard to use the TB otherwise

WineCountryUA Aug 24, 22 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 34543009)
Hi,

i want to finally use my Travel Bank, but then I look at flights to Europe the last Intra Germany flight is on LH so I can’t apply the balances.
Did anyone ever try to book only to FRA or MUC (aka all UA until then) and then call in to have the last leg added (for the few $ fare difference- less than $50 bucks)?
so hard to use the TB otherwise

As with ETC, convert the TB funds to FFC and then you can book a partner flight.

To do this, book an all UA for the amount of money need to use the ETC or TB. Wait 24+ hours and then cancel, this generates a FFC -- now use that FFC as a credit to book the desired flight.

Note converting to FFC, locks the fund to the named traveler and the FFC needs to be used for travel commencing before end of 2023 (if created before the end of 2022)

blitzen Aug 24, 22 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 34543073)
As with ETC, convert the TB funds to FFC and then you can book a partner flight.

To do this, book a all UA for the amount of money need to use the ETC or TB. Wait 24+ hours and then cancel, this generates a FFC -- now use that FFC as a credit to book the desired flight.

Note converting to FFC, locks the fund to the named traveler and the FFC needs to be used for travel commencing before end of 2023 (if created before the end of 2022)

Does it need to be a specific fare to create an FFC? Or does every fare class work (think it was Business (D) )

WineCountryUA Aug 24, 22 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 34543080)
Does it need to be a specific fare to create an FFC? Or does every fare class work (think it was Business (D) )

No, FFC is the credit from cancelling any flight and can be as payment credit for any flight bookable on united.com (except for the same cabin/flight it was created by) . Occasionally you may need help from an agent to use an FCC