FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA "TravelBank" Q&A , with new option to deposit funds (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2029660-ua-travelbank-q-new-option-deposit-funds.html)

tex1721 Jan 14, 21 12:14 pm


Originally Posted by linsj (Post 32967409)
Somehow I missed TB as a way to get the airline credit on my Hilton amex. When I went to my TB account, I found a $50 thank you bonus I didn't know I had. It's dated 1/4, before I put money in. Does anyone know what this is for?

If that $50 expires on 4/6 then it was from a credit card promo? The Chase/united Presidential Card had a promo at end of 2020 for either $50 TB each quarter or 20K miles after $5K spend each quarter.

linsj Jan 14, 21 1:30 pm


Originally Posted by tex1721 (Post 32968317)
If that $50 expires on 4/6 then it was from a credit card promo? The Chase/united Presidential Card had a promo at end of 2020 for either $50 TB each quarter or 20K miles after $5K spend each quarter.

Mystery solved. Thanks.

vulpinepuppy Jan 24, 21 8:03 am

Refundable ticekt purchased with Travelbank unable to return funds to Travelbank
 
I purchased a fully refundable ticket with travelbank funds, and had to cancel my ticket. In the cancellation, I chose to return funds to my original payment method - Travelbank. I received an email saying that they issued me an Electronic Travel Credit (ETC), so called the Premier desk. Premier desk said the policy was that Travelbank refunds only go back to ETC and do NOT go back into Travelbank. Problem is, the ETC has a shorter expiration date (2 years instead of 5). I asked the representative for the specific policy surrounding this, but she said that is what her supervisors said and that she can't direct me to the specific policy but I could call back when the Refunds department is in to talk further as there was nothing she could do anyway.

Has anyone else had this issue or been able to get a refund from United back to Travelbank? If I knew it was just going to go back into ETC, I would have just bought a regular ticket instead of the fully-refundable.

cfischer Jan 24, 21 8:27 am


Originally Posted by vulpinepuppy (Post 32990856)
I purchased a fully refundable ticket with travelbank funds, and had to cancel my ticket. In the cancellation, I chose to return funds to my original payment method - Travelbank. I received an email saying that they issued me an Electronic Travel Credit (ETC), so called the Premier desk. Premier desk said the policy was that Travelbank refunds only go back to ETC and do NOT go back into Travelbank. Problem is, the ETC has a shorter expiration date (2 years instead of 5). I asked the representative for the specific policy surrounding this, but she said that is what her supervisors said and that she can't direct me to the specific policy but I could call back when the Refunds department is in to talk further as there was nothing she could do anyway.

Has anyone else had this issue or been able to get a refund from United back to Travelbank? If I knew it was just going to go back into ETC, I would have just bought a regular ticket instead of the fully-refundable.

I have definitely had $$$ go back to travel bank. The only time that did not work was a ticket that I used travel bank funds on that originated in Europe and had a EUR fare ... somehow that could not compute back to USD and put back into the travel bank. ETC is not too bad to be honest. You buy your ticket within the next 2 years, fly within the next 3 years and then you use the creative methods to extend it further. Not as good as cash in the travel bank, agreed, but unworkable?

What kind of ticket was this?

vulpinepuppy Jan 24, 21 8:34 am


Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 32990898)
I have definitely had $$$ go back to travel bank. The only time that did not work was a ticket that I used travel bank funds on that originated in Europe and had a EUR fare ... somehow that could not compute back to USD and put back into the travel bank. ETC is not too bad to be honest. You buy your ticket within the next 2 years, fly within the next 3 years and then you use the creative methods to extend it further. Not as good as cash in the travel bank, agreed, but unworkable?

What kind of ticket was this?


Huh, so it's not like it's impossible (which the rep said there was no way it would go back to travelbank). My refund was for a fully refundable Economy ticket for domestic U.S. travel, so nothing crazy. I agree the ETC isn't the worst, but it's just annoying as it should have gone back into Travelbank with the original expiration. I'm going to give the refunds team a call tomorrow to discuss, and if they don't correct it somehow, I'll file a complaint with the DoT to investigate. I pulled the Travelbank T&C and didn't see anything in there related to refunds which i'll add to the DoT inquiry if necessary. I also have one other ticket I cancelled at the exact same time (also paid via Travelbank), but haven't received a refund via ETC or travelbank yet for that one either to compare and also add on to my list of complaints if they do an ETC again.

time_stamp Jan 24, 21 9:37 am


Originally Posted by vulpinepuppy (Post 32990856)
Premier desk said the policy was that Travelbank refunds only go back to ETC and do NOT go back into Travelbank.

If this can be done reliably this sounds like kind of a nice workaround in some situations, as ETCs can be used for seat assignments and a few other things that don't work with Travel Bank.

SPN Lifer Jan 24, 21 5:01 pm


Originally Posted by vulpinepuppy (Post 32990918)
I agree the ETC isn't the worst, but it's just annoying as it should have gone back into Travelbank with the original expiration. I'm going to give the refunds team a call tomorrow to discuss, and if they don't correct it somehow, I'll file a complaint with the DoT to investigate. I pulled the Travelbank T&C and didn't see anything in there related to refunds which i'll add to the DoT inquiry if necessary.

Thank you for taking the time to purse this with DOT, which ultimately benefits all of us.

United we stand!

linsj Jan 25, 21 6:26 am

I put money in the Travel Bank to get the airline credit on my Hilton amex two weeks ago. It posted as United Airlines Houston. So far it has not triggered the credit. Should I wait longer or call CS?

Kacee Jan 25, 21 10:05 am


Originally Posted by linsj (Post 32992967)
I put money in the Travel Bank to get the airline credit on my Hilton amex two weeks ago. It posted as United Airlines Houston. So far it has not triggered the credit. Should I wait longer or call CS?

The loophole is closed. Amex is no longer crediting travel bank purchases. See the thread in the Amex forum.

SPN Lifer Jan 25, 21 1:31 pm


Originally Posted by linsj (Post 32992967)
I put money in the Travel Bank to get the airline credit on my Hilton amex two weeks ago. It posted as United Airlines Houston. So far it has not triggered the credit. Should I wait longer or call CS?


Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32993396)
The loophole is closed. Amex is no longer crediting travel bank purchases. See the thread in the Amex forum.

Thank you for informing those of us who do not frequent the AmEx forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2020-a.html

This will definitely affect my deliberation over applying for a Hilton Aspire AmEx card with the intention to choose UA as my airline.

Kacee Jan 25, 21 1:40 pm


Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post 32993939)
Thank you for informing those of us who do not frequent the AmEx forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2020-a.html

This will definitely affect my deliberation over applying for a Hilton Aspire AmEx card with the intention to choose UA as my airline.

And just to provide further detail, the reported cut-off for Amex credit is charges that processed on or before January 13.

lindaiah Jan 25, 21 2:00 pm

I thought Travel Bank is going away? UA shows my $ expiring on 4/6/2021.

WineCountryUA Jan 25, 21 2:12 pm


Originally Posted by lindaiah (Post 32994016)
I thought Travel Bank is going away? UA shows my $ expiring on 4/6/2021.

Short answer, no but it is changing -- longer answer from the wiki

The United Travel Bank has been around for many years. UA had a program where purchasing a ticket on united.com would receive a $5 Travel Bank bonus. This was called united.com Club and had an annual $25 subscription fee. This ended in early 2020. But funds are still accessible for 18 months after earning.
Also at one time the Travel Bank had a Gift Registry pre-2018.
For more on those prior Travel Bank Programs, see "TravelBank"- United.com Club & Gift Registry Q&A - No new/renewals as of 23 Apr 2019

Then for a period of time, Chase / UA offered a 1.5% cash-back Travel Bank credit card where the cash-back went into the Travel Bank, that ended Sept 2020
Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

*NEW* In July 2020, the Travel Bank was recasted as a cash pre-funding option that might have a short term bonus offering -- cash or miles or both.
Additionally it might be used to bank credit card travel reimbursement funds (no longer for some --such as AMEX )

emcampbe Jan 25, 21 3:47 pm


Originally Posted by lindaiah (Post 32994016)
I thought Travel Bank is going away? UA shows my $ expiring on 4/6/2021.

TravelBank has changed over the past few years. doesn't really appear to be going away completely, but options for using it have been changing, and seems to be much diminished. I used to love the gift registry (which funded much of our honeymoon air travel). Also, $ in the TravelBank have an expiry date, but that doesn't mean TB is going away completely.

As mentioned:

United.com Club - has gone
United TB Visa - Gone - changed to the Gateway card, which earns miles now
Gift registry - essentially went away a couple of years + ago

Expiry has also changed over the years. At one time, TravelBank $ didn't really expire at all - although if there was no activity for some amount of time (either 1 or 2 years...IIRC), they would re-issue the balance as ETC and zero out the TB balance. Now, believe each dollar in there expires, based on a certain amount of time after you earned it. Believe its no longer like mileage was, where use of it ($ in/out) would extend the expiry of everything, but more like ETCs which have a specific expiry for each one. For example, if you have $100 in the TB, and earned $20 on five separate dates, each $20 increment would expire on different dates.

WineCountryUA Jan 25, 21 4:39 pm


Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 32994259)
.... Now, believe each dollar in there expires, based on a certain amount of time after you earned it. ....

If you have remaining $5 booking bonus (united.com Club), they expire 18 months from last deposit.
The Cash back also has a 18 month expire from last deposit.
Recent cash deposits have 5 year life. And bonuses for those cash deposits have relatively short life (3-4? months)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright @ MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.