Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Couple with Positive COVID Pre-Flight Test Arrested Upon Arriving at LIH Flying UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple with Positive COVID Pre-Flight Test Arrested Upon Arriving at LIH Flying UA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
3) How is this couple being viewed as endangering other flyers (to the extent of using terms like attempted murder) when UA says that it's nearly impossible to become infected on one of their flights? Surely the answer can't be that they simply prohibit carriers of SARS-CoV-2 on their flights as they have no reasonable way of insuring that.
Indeed. I suspect UA and other airlines would like cases like this to go relatively quietly e.g. a fine/ban that deters others from doing the same.

If this gets contested will a prosecutor not have to challenge the airlines studies that demonstrate how difficult it is to transmit the virus on a flight?

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 3, 2020 at 10:01 am Reason: Removed response to deleted post
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kilo
Indeed. I suspect UA and other airlines would like cases like this to go relatively quietly e.g. a fine/ban that deters others from doing the same.

If this gets contested will a prosecutor not have to challenge the airlines studies that demonstrate how difficult it is to transmit the virus on a flight?
The United study is a joke. There are better scientific studies out there, including a recent peer reviewed study published in a medical journal, that show how easy it is to spread COVID in-flight even with passengers wearing masks and spread out far apart onboard. If UA were certain that COVID transmission wasn't possible in a flight, they wouldn't proactively ask and prevent those that are COVID positive from boarding. I doubt any jury would rush to the side of this couple if their defense is UA marketing told them it was safe to fly with COVID.
kilo and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The arrival of the vaccine will highlight the real issue here. Airlines need people to return to planes. Hawaii needs people to visit. Nothing will return to normal when there's significant concern about becoming infected - and airlines can talk until they're blue in the teeth about it being ultra-safe on board, but few really believe them.

The only real way for UA to get people back into their system will be to persuade them that the others on board are safe (and, ideally, the others you come across in the airport also). For that to happen, they will need to mandate a negative test and, soon, a vaccine. And so they have to do this for commercial reasons and they have to discourage the super-selfish from breaking those rules. I, for one, am not prepared to set foot on a plane if people who have the disease or are infectious are also travelling.

And, to those who seem to think it's so unfair that this couple might suffer a little inconvenience, such as losing their job, that inconvenience is nothing as to what they might have done to the 87 year old whose seat back they touch on the way to the restroom.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA vs NW
If it can be proven the couple knew their test outcome was positive before they boarded, could they be prosecuted for knowingly jeopardizing public health by exposing others to potentially infectious source (themselves)?
It sounds to me that's exactly what they've been charged with.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
This couple is selfish. In addition to ruining a lot of people's vacation, they put a lot of people in danger of catching a highly contagious disease. I am disappointed in UA enforcement of mask policy which is why we have cancelled all plane trips until after vaccination.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 3, 2020 at 1:53 pm Reason: Not going there, OT
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
This couple is selfish. In addition to ruining a lot of people's vacation, they put a lot of people in danger of catching a highly contagious disease. I am disappointed in UA enforcement of mask policy which is why we have cancelled all plane trips until after vaccination.
IME UA has been much better about enforcing the mask policy f late.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 3, 2020 at 1:54 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I am disappointed in UA enforcement of mask policy which is why we have cancelled all plane trips until after vaccination.
Interesting, in my 2 round trips since Oct 15 with another coming up in 2 weeks, I didn't notice anyone not wearing the mask except for truly eating/drinking, was pleasantly surprised how well people followed the policy
Xyzzy and artvandalay like this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting, in my 2 round trips since Oct 15 with another coming up in 2 weeks, I didn't notice anyone not wearing the mask except for truly eating/drinking, was pleasantly surprised how well people followed the policy
I agree completely. As someone who lives in NYC compliance here has been pretty amazing if you ask me -- but in my trips to other areas of the country for business it is clear that there are many regions that simply don't feel the same. In general I think UA FA / Pax have been really good - MUCH better now than when this all began...
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by kilo

I doubt it will get that far - I doubt this local couple has deep pockets to fight this and they've lost big time in the court of public opinion. I don't think Kauai even has jurisdiction to charge over the actual time in the air - it is when they landed and put feet on the ground they could charge.

They've been charged with reckless endangerment in the second degree in Hawaii, which has a low bar - it isn't even a felony.

House Bill (hawaii.gov)Reckless endangering in the second degree. (1) A person commits the offense of reckless endangering in the second degree if the person:

(a) Engages in conduct that recklessly places another person in danger of death or serious bodily injury
Old Dec 3, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I doubt it will get that far - I doubt this local couple has deep pockets to fight this and they've lost big time in the court of public opinion. I don't think Kauai even has jurisdiction to charge over the actual time in the air - it is when they landed and put feet on the ground they could charge.

They've been charged with reckless endangerment in the second degree in Hawaii, which has a low bar - it isn't even a felony.

House Bill (hawaii.gov)Reckless endangering in the second degree. (1) A person commits the offense of reckless endangering in the second degree if the person:

(a) Engages in conduct that recklessly places another person in danger of death or serious bodily injury
Definitely an interesting 1L Crim Law exam question whether their conduct met the elements of this crime!!!
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:05 pm

United has banned them

United bans alleged COVID-19-positive couple who took flight from SFO to Hawaii (sfgate.com)LATEST Dec. 3, 9 a.m. United Airlines released a new statement on Dec. 3 at 8 a.m. stating that the couple who boarded a plane after testing positive for COVID-19 are no longer welcome on United flights.

"We have banned these customers and will investigate this matter," United said.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are many aspects to this situation, some relevant to UA, some not

Let's stick to the UA issue in this forum and leave the Hawai'i legal issues in that forum as those could arise regardless of the carrier
COVID-19 - 14-Day Arrivals Quarantine/Pre- and Post-Arrival Test-Out Policies
or
Traveler arrested after flying SFO-LIH after positive result

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me see...
UA encourages people to travel fully understanding that many will likely get exposed with out any alternative means to return including families.. UA keeps telling everyone how flying is safe.. UA adds leisure flights to mexico, cost rica etc promoting travel... UA does not want to check covid test results prior to boarding..

But let's find easy targets and blame them.. At the same time thousands of sick people are flying on UA planes as we speak without being tested - typical american corporate hypocrisy...
J_Stroming likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
UA does not want to check covid test results prior to boarding..
Who said that - Hawaii does not require a test to fly nor enter the State - nor would it be legal.

Why bother asking about a test if passenger can simply lie and say - I didn't take a test.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Let me see...
UA encourages people to travel fully understanding that many will likely get exposed with out any alternative means to return including families.. UA keeps telling everyone how flying is safe.. UA adds leisure flights to mexico, cost rica etc promoting travel... UA does not want to check covid test results prior to boarding..

But let's find easy targets and blame them.. At the same time thousands of sick people are flying on UA planes as we speak without being tested - typical american corporate hypocrisy...
Exactly. They are encouraging travel by claiming the risk of catching Covid is virtually non-existent on airplanes. They shouldn’t then ban someone who believes their claims and then gets on their airplanes!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.