Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA TLV (temporary) Terminal 1 checkin (bussed to T3 for departure)

Old Nov 30, 20, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM

Important information about your upcoming trip

To help you navigate Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport, we’d like you to know that all United flights are temporarily departing from Terminal 1. As always, remember to arrive 3-4 hours early for your international flight and since our gates are now a bit further from our check-in counters, please consider adding an extra 15-20 minutes to get to your gate. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Just received this email and I am confused. Is checkin T3 as always? T1 checkin? Whats up UA. GS agent has no idea either.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 30, 20 at 9:24 am Reason: title updated with new information
Old Nov 30, 20, 5:50 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saccoNY View Post

To help you navigate Tel Avivís Ben Gurion Airport, weíd like you to know that all United flights are temporarily departing from Terminal 1. As always, remember to arrive 3-4 hours early for your international flight and since our gates are now a bit further from our check-in counters, please consider adding an extra 15-20 minutes to get to your gate. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Just received this email and I am confused. Is checkin T3 as always? T1 checkin? Whats up UA. GS agent has no idea either.
Sound like some sort of COVID arrangement-- maybe some bussing? Interested to hear.
Old Nov 30, 20, 7:04 am

To help you navigate Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport, we’d like you to know that all United flights are temporarily departing from Terminal 1. As always, remember to arrive 3-4 hours early for your international flight and since our gates are now a bit further from our check-in counters, please consider adding an extra 15-20 minutes to get to your gate. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

What airport? And what does the flight status say?

'T3' vs. 'T1' sounds like SFO or ORD. Typically SFO-TLV departs international terminal (G) rather than T3. Typically ORD-TLV is T1.

EWR-TLV would be terminal C.

edit: misread -- I believe the email implies it is TLV-somewhere.

Last edited by fumje; Nov 30, 20 at 7:20 am
Old Nov 30, 20, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

To help you navigate Tel Avivís Ben Gurion Airport, weíd like you to know that all United flights are temporarily departing from Terminal 1. As always, remember to arrive 3-4 hours early for your international flight and since our gates are now a bit further from our check-in counters, please consider adding an extra 15-20 minutes to get to your gate. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Don't mean to sound blunt but the email seems pretty clear (and exactly what the airport has indicated). Temporarily, departure from TLV will be T1 instead of T3. Well check-in. You are then bused to T3 (I believe after security)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 20, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90 View Post
Don't mean to sound blunt but the email seems pretty clear (and exactly what the airport has indicated). Temporarily, departure from TLV will be T1 instead of T3. Well check-in. You are then bused to T3 (I believe after security)
I can confirm this is the case.
Check in terminal 1 and then bussed over to terminal 3.

Good luck!
Old Nov 30, 20, 8:06 am
Original Poster

sorry departure and checkin are completely different in my book. It states departure and checkin but doesnít clarify where the check in is other than it being far from the gates. So does that mean check in T3 and Goto T1 for departure gates. Or vice versa ? And bus? Where does it say that? If the email said exactly what youíre implying then end of story!

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf View Post
I can confirm this is the case.
Check in terminal 1 and then bussed over to terminal 3.

Good luck!

wow. Very interesting. No agent has been able to confirm that. But makes sense. Thank you for the update. Must be COVID related. I wish the UA email was more clear!! Are the lounges open in T3? We just came back to T1 from Eilat. What a beautiful new (and empty) airport.

ETM terminal looking out to Jordanian mountains.
hp12c likes this.

Last edited by saccoNY; Nov 30, 20 at 8:18 am
Old Nov 30, 20, 8:38 am
Suspended

sorry departure and checkin are completely different in my book. It states departure and checkin but doesnít clarify where the check in is other than it being far from the gates. So does that mean check in T3 and Goto T1 for departure gates. Or vice versa ? And bus? Where does it say that? If the email said exactly what youíre implying then end of story!

wow. Very interesting. No agent has been able to confirm that. But makes sense. Thank you for the update. Must be COVID related. I wish the UA email was more clear!! Are the lounges open in T3? We just came back to T1 from Eilat. What a beautiful new (and empty) airport.

ETM terminal looking out to Jordanian mountains.
Lounges are open.
Although I imagine you're taking UA91 back, I believe they close the lounge earlier
i have a few friends on the flight, looks quite full.
Old Nov 30, 20, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf View Post
Lounges are open.
Although I imagine you're taking UA91 back, I believe they close the lounge earlier
i have a few friends on the flight, looks quite full.

I saw UA91 today pretty full which is a main reason for us taking UA85 actually tomorrow (Dec1). Also was pretty full yesterday too. Thanks so much again. Post thanksgiving rush home. I guess. .
Old Nov 30, 20, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You asked what the story is so I'm saying.

However, departure and check-in are a distinction without a difference in this case since you need to go to T1. Even if you're not checking any bags and you've completed OLCI, you still go to T1. So there's no practical difference for the passenger in terms of "departure."

Yes, this is Covid related.
Old Nov 30, 20, 9:47 am

You asked what the story is so I'm saying.

However, departure and check-in are a distinction without a difference in this case since you need to go to T1. Even if you're not checking any bags and you've completed OLCI, you still go to T1. So there's no practical difference for the passenger in terms of "departure."

Yes, this is Covid related.
Isn't there a big construction project for the TLV (T3) check-in area?
Old Nov 30, 20, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Isn't there a big construction project for the TLV (T3) check-in area?
If not for Covid, they would not be shutting down the significantly larger terminal to put passengers in the significantly smaller terminal. Which project are you referring to though by the check-in area? I only recall one (active) after security
Old Nov 30, 20, 11:53 am

1) documents check outside entrance of Terminal 1, with bracelet tagged to show entry2) check in downstairs in Terminal 1
3) go back to middle of Terminal 1 to take escalator upstairs and go through passport control and security
Busses to Terminal 3
Lounge at C gates is open, buffet is not self service, there is an attendant there. Most stores/ eateries/ kiosks are closed, with the exception of Steimatsky and a James Richardson.
Good luck.
SPN Lifer and saccoNY like this.
Old Nov 30, 20, 7:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems the flights are departing from gates in Terminal 3 but can only be accessed from check-in at Terminal 1. Of course, the email could be read the exact opposite way.

I suppose taking the time to read the email from United is extremely helpful in that one definitely needs to arrive at the airport 15-20 minutes early if one only has a 50% chance of arriving at the correct terminal.
saccoNY likes this.
Old Nov 30, 20, 7:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
It seems the flights are departing from gates in Terminal 3 but can only be accessed from check-in at Terminal 1. Of course, the email could be read the exact opposite way. ....
Perhaps if one tries to overthink the message -- there is no mention of T3, just T1. If one goes to T3 they only have themselves to blame.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 20, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Perhaps if one tries to overthink the message -- there is no mention of T3, just T1. If one goes to T3 they only have themselves to blame.
how about a clear message like the headline of this thread?

or

because of COVID UA has a temporary change of checkin to T1. Pax with or without bags please Goto T1 where we will then bus all pax over to the T3 departure gates where the departure lounge remains open for pax with access. Please allow an extra 15-20 mins for the additional process.

hmm? What do you think? Am I hired?? Unambiguous enough?

Iíve been doing this travel bit on UA as long as most of you regulars on here. So maybe some can appreciate that having 2 little ones and a ton a luggage from a 3 week stay here, and Mrs Sacco counting on me to get it right, changing terminals would be a really really rough start to a long journey home. Trying to not mess it up because someone at UA canít communicate clearly. Not to mention that 2 calls to GS, a chat session and an email reply that told me to Goto United dot com, all that couldnít answer what Iíve seen very simply in this thread. That ainít good folks!

have a little compassion here guys.

Last edited by saccoNY; Nov 30, 20 at 9:48 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: