Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling UA Thanksgiving Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
Cancelling UA Thanksgiving Travel?

I've made three SFO-ORD-TVC trips during the pandemic on United without incident and have been very confident in the precautions and procedures implemented by United and its affiliates.

I'm currently scheduled to make the same trip next week and return the following week, but am feeling pretty anxious about air travel given the explosion of the pandemic across the Country and the pleas by public and health officials to stay home. What worries me most is that people like me, those who insist on flying during the surge, will be traveling with me, and I with them, and who knows what what and who we will be exposed to during the holiday week before we get back on a plane to fly home.

So, bottom line, I'm curious if there are other "road warriors" out there who have, or are considering canceling your United Thanksgiving travel plans.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I wouldn't worry about the actual flight, but Grand Traverse and Leelanau county are a COVID mess right now, a friend who is a public health nurse in Northern lower MI says she can't keep up, and it's about to explode once everyone gets back from deer camp. if it was me, I'd cancel.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that it's unlikely to be the flight causing any potential COVID exposure issue, it's much more likely whatever you (and those around you) do on either end of the flight.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
My family just cancelled our planned multifamily get-together in eastern Nebraska. There is way too much covid there and my mother is elderly and high risk.

My immediate family is going on our own beach getaway instead. I would suspect that my multifamily Christmas shindig with my husband's family will also be cancelled. Eyeing some other leisure possibilities for then. :-)
CO-PLAT and Air Houston like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CDC has advised against Thanksgiving travel.

I'll add on to my previous post that, while I personally feel comfortable flying, I will not be doing any of my typical Thanksgiving or Christmas vacation travel. Apart from the fact that it is usually international travel, it is too hard to predict what will be happening where and when, and it doesn't seem like a relaxing vacation to navigate all of the logistical hurdles.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...vid-spike.html
cfischer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was tossing around the idea of traveling Thanksgiving weekend but have decided to stay home for the same reasons as @fumje.
cfischer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm going to Vegas 11/25, I'll cancel/change if they impose restrictions in Vegas not making the trip worthwhile, otherwise I'll be there.....

I generally go to SF for a few days around these trips - given all the restrictions in California, skipping that part of the trip.

Would normally visit the parents over Thanksgiving in Chicago - bailed on seeing them until they get a vaccination next year.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
I'm out! Talked to my brother and he's relieved. I like to consider myself "responsible" but pushing the limits in the face of the surge just doesn't seem like the responsible thing to do. Thanks for the feedback!
Old Nov 19, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Heck no. It's full on.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:02 pm

I was originally planning to fly LAX to Aruba (via EWR), but my return via PTY on COPA was cancelled and there were no viable alternatives. I rebooked to St Croix, via EWR. I am not even remotely concerned about any excessive exposure on the ground in VI, as I will be traveling solo, wearing a mask, and avoiding people altogether unless I am purchasing food/drinks. All of my flights are in lie-flat J, so I will have some social distancing on the plane (along with an N95 mask). Unfortunately, the recent spike has put my plans in peril due to the inevitable travel restrictions and potential flight cancellations. It is about as social-distancing friendly of a trip as possible (aside from a trip to the wilderness in my own backyard), but a trip with four 3 to 5+ hour flight segments is certainly not risk-free. The irony is that if I stay home, I will just end up visiting the in-laws on Thursday, which is exactly what we are supposed to be avoiding right now. As things stand right now, I am still planning to go ahead, but there are still 6 more days for things to fall apart.
JNelson113 and J_Stroming like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by fumje
I agree that it's unlikely to be the flight causing any potential COVID exposure issue, it's much more likely whatever you (and those around you) do on either end of the flight.
Agreed, with one caveat...

I have had to travel a number of times this year and have generally felt quite safe, especially on the aircraft. But on my last trip three weeks ago I had a 2-hour connection at IAD, and let me tell you, the C/D terminals were completely packed. It made me quite anxious, knowing I was "trapped" for two hours with wall-to-wall crowds, connecting from who-knows-where, in a terminal that is already tight and crowded in normal times.

I don't have Thanksgiving travel plans, but if I did, I would not even remotely risk repeating that experience these days.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Many
The flight itself isn't an issue, the major problem is the Airport before departure, and after arrival. I'm flying United to LA this weekend, we'll see how that goes.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 2:36 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
I am planning to fly for thanksgiving TPA-IAH-SAT Thurs AM with the return Sun Afternoon. This will be my 5th R/T in that timeframe and to be honest, the one I am most concerned about. Seems like it may be time to put some caulk around the N95.
imbisibol likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
will be cancelling.....

I will be cancelling as well. Deciding factor wasn't the contacts made, but more by a quarantine restriction upon returning to my home state.

Jiburi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.