Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling UA Thanksgiving Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
It is always much less crowded leaving Las Vegas for holidays.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
As a data point I'm on the second leg of EWR-ORD-LAX and both flights were quite full. I was happy to have CLEAR at EWR as the security lines were long. I booked F and will enjoy premium transcon on the return flight. It was only $800 booking in this way. A month ago.

A few days ago I was in LYS and CDG and those airports had hardly a passenger in sight as France is still in lockdown for a few more days.
You could have gotten nonstop both ways for not much more.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Two empties in F on PHX-SFO this morning. Looking at Sunday returns, $109 with PZ>0. These are traditionally the two busiest travel days of the year.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I called my parents last Wednesday to cancel my trip to PA. They begged me to come, anyway. I've been in PA since last Thursday. LAX was like a ghost town, and ORD wasn't too bad. It will just be the 3 of us -- the big extended annual family dinner is obviously cancelled.

I was fairly certain when I left that CA would announce a 2-week quarantine while I was gone - which they did. I fly back to LAX on Monday, and will be doing my time in solitary upon my return home. (Not a bad thing for this introvert!)

I've been wearing my mask when in the same room as my parents. I've only seen one friend, and it was outdoors. Honestly, I needed this trip for my mental health.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Repooc17
You could have gotten nonstop both ways for not much more.
No, I would have had to buy a few weeks earlier to get that price. When I purchased a month ago the non-stop roundtrip had gone up to over $2000 for Thanksgiving. A bit higher on DL as well. When UA reduced the number of EWR-LAX transcons those remaining flights were more than 70% booked up.

I will also note my observations yesterday that EWR terminal C was very busy as was the ORD C gate terminal. Busier than any airports I've seen since February. However even though my flight to LAX was packed full, T7 at LAX was very empty. And the Hertz lot only had a handful of customers. From my limited observations the east coast is fully celebrating the holidays but the west coast is not. Crazy.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Many
LAX - SFO was definitely full, with 2 F seats left empty because they were reserved. My original seat was actually one of the reserved F seats and I got re-assigned.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:21 am

LAX (T7 & T8 at least) are always empty around lunchtime (pre-Covid). I fly every Thursday around 2pm and it’s usually a ghost town. So I think it’s what time of day your going through the terminal.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
No, I would have had to buy a few weeks earlier to get that price. When I purchased a month ago the non-stop roundtrip had gone up to over $2000 for Thanksgiving. A bit higher on DL as well. When UA reduced the number of EWR-LAX transcons those remaining flights were more than 70% booked up.
Assuming the fare bucket is available, 14-day advance purchase requirement.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Thanksgiving felicitations, FlyerTalkers!

While we may have postponed some flights (my son's LAS-SFO-NRT-GUM-SPN itinerary ending yesterday was quite empty), our gratitude perseveres.
cesco.g, uanj and econ like this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 2:51 pm

I'm chiming in here with a story that I think will make those of you that did decide to cancel feel you made the correct decision.

At my parent's begging & insistence, I didn't cancel the trip for my partner & I from SFO to RDU. We didn't see friends and did PCR test before getting on the plane (negative), did a 7 day quarantine upon landing (no contact other than grocery delivery at a friend's borrowed apartment), then a PCR test. The test was positive for COVID. Obviously we won't see my parents or family, so the quarantine worked and we won't put others at risk. But, clearly the travel (SFO-IAD-RDU) did expose us and there isn't anything magically safe about flying.

Ultimately, we knew it was a risk and took it - but clearly wish we hadn't in retrospect. For those traveling, please stay safe & take seriously the quarantine guidelines.
Miggles likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
For me, it is too dangerous flying this year. I went from GS on my last flight in February to zero flights since. My travel through March 1 has been canceled too. Crazy times!
Old Nov 26, 2020, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wbatl1
I'm chiming in here with a story that I think will make those of you that did decide to cancel feel you made the correct decision.

At my parent's begging & insistence, I didn't cancel the trip for my partner & I from SFO to RDU. We didn't see friends and did PCR test before getting on the plane (negative), did a 7 day quarantine upon landing (no contact other than grocery delivery at a friend's borrowed apartment), then a PCR test. The test was positive for COVID. Obviously we won't see my parents or family, so the quarantine worked and we won't put others at risk. But, clearly the travel (SFO-IAD-RDU) did expose us and there isn't anything magically safe about flying.

Ultimately, we knew it was a risk and took it - but clearly wish we hadn't in retrospect. For those traveling, please stay safe & take seriously the quarantine guidelines.
Have you had yourself re-tested? False positives are not uncommon -- and as someone who has had dozens of tests -- and a few false positives - it's worth doing versus not seeing your family....
Old Nov 26, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Textile
Have you had yourself re-tested? False positives are not uncommon -- and as someone who has had dozens of tests -- and a few false positives - it's worth doing versus not seeing your family....
There are false negatives too.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2020 at 9:10 pm Reason: snark not need
Old Nov 26, 2020, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Textile
I’m following you, and we are absolutely going to get follow-up test done, but won’t see them or anyone until we have at least two clear negative PCR tests. That isn’t super easy right now given overall testing load (country is doing a LOT of testing but we had a 90 min line for the post-flight one).

ultimately, while false negatives do exist for the PCR tests, the likelihood is low enough we absolutely need to act as if it’s a positive and asymptomatic case until fully proven otherwise.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 6:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A reminder

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Let's return thread topic of our personal travel plans or not on UA for Thanksgiving. Thank you

WIneCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.