Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling UA Thanksgiving Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
We bought Mrs. IMissthe747 a nice UA871/872 TPAC and a few domestic flights to visit some (non-COVID but terminally) sick family in the USA. I felt terrible about her going, but it was important to her and so she had my full support.

She was supposed to fly to the USA earlier this week. Thankfully she called the trip off. We are safe and happy here in Asia, but miss Thanksgiving with family for sure.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thread Topic is not about travel shaming ans/or COVID concerns shaming -- those are topics for OMNI land.(or no where). Such posts have been removed.

This thread was started to learn if others were changing their UA travel plans due to recent increase in COVID activitiy. Feel free to discuss your plans without commenting / shaming others.

WinCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Work Must Get Done!

I've got a job to do, so I will be traveling over the holiday. I don't get paid for staying home.

I just hit 100K miles on UA this year and over 25K on AA and I believe the airlines are doing a good job with risk mitigation. Hertz is doing good as well.

Everybody really needs to think carefully about relative risk. If you're going to a frat party after a football game, you are likely taking a significant risk. If you are going to Thanksgiving dinner with a handful of family and friends, the risk is far less. In a free society, the decision is up to the individual and they shouldn't be criticized for exercising their freedoms. Trying to shame people for their behavior didn't help during the AIDS crisis and it won't help here.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 3:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While the "surge" isn't going to impact my plans, the California partial shutdown likely will - may not return between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Originally Posted by econ
It's no better at PHX T4 (AA,WN). In fact the entire terminal has been packed the last few times I've been through there.
I've been through PHX T4 literally dozens of times this year (most recently last Friday). While the A and C terminals can be a mess (especially C), UA baggage claim was truly special.
J_Stroming likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2020 at 11:19 am Reason: Leave OMNI comments for OMNI forum
Old Nov 20, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
I flew ORD to SFO on Wednesday night and ORD was the emptiest I've ever seen it at 6:30pm. Ever since July, I've been traveling a normal schedule which is about a flight every 10 days or so and feel that UA is doing great with everything. The good thing now is that some PZ space is opening up that I'd never seen before like on that ORD to SFO flight, there was PZ space in a 787!
cesco.g and mikeyf like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Planning to fly DCA-ORD next week, we went back and forth several times on going but finally decided yesterday that we'll go ahead with it. Some factors in our favor: only four people total, all low-risk adults, and all of us have been in effective isolation the past couple of weeks and plan to continue isolating after we get back home. We are also skipping the hotel and staying with family - I know hotels are probably not that bad, but seems like an unnecessary risk. Also plan to skip checked bags, use face shield + KN95, take wipes/sanitizer, etc.

I don't think it's wrong to want to see family, but I would strongly encourage anyone considering it to at least evaluate the risks and give it some serious thought. For us, if we were mixing more than two households, or I didn't trust some in attendance to properly isolate/wear masks, or someone was high-risk I would be much more inclined to cancel.

Originally Posted by hawkswin
I flew ORD to SFO on Wednesday night and ORD was the emptiest I've ever seen it at 6:30pm. Ever since July, I've been traveling a normal schedule which is about a flight every 10 days or so and feel that UA is doing great with everything.
Glad to hear it, going through ORD has been my biggest concern although I'm sure it'll be busier next week. I purposely booked a 9pm return flight to try and avoid the worst of it.
cesco.g and Kmxu like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by chleonard
Planning to fly DCA-ORD next week, we went back and forth several times on going but finally decided yesterday that we'll go ahead with it. Some factors in our favor: only four people total, all low-risk adults, and all of us have been in effective isolation the past couple of weeks and plan to continue isolating after we get back home. We are also skipping the hotel and staying with family - I know hotels are probably not that bad, but seems like an unnecessary risk. Also plan to skip checked bags, use face shield + KN95, take wipes/sanitizer, etc.

I don't think it's wrong to want to see family, but I would strongly encourage anyone considering it to at least evaluate the risks and give it some serious thought. For us, if we were mixing more than two households, or I didn't trust some in attendance to properly isolate/wear masks, or someone was high-risk I would be much more inclined to cancel.

Glad to hear it, going through ORD has been my biggest concern although I'm sure it'll be busier next week. I purposely booked a 9pm return flight to try and avoid the worst of it.
Although worth noting travel restrictions if you are headed into Chicago as opposed to surrounding area. If coming from either DC or VA, there is a 14-day quarantine with a "test out" option with a pre-arrival test. Strongly adviseable even for those where it is not required.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, LH M&M, BAEC
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I wouldn't worry about the actual flight, but Grand Traverse and Leelanau county are a COVID mess right now, a friend who is a public health nurse in Northern lower MI says she can't keep up, and it's about to explode once everyone gets back from deer camp. if it was me, I'd cancel.
I can only second this. The majority of my family lives in Emmet and Charlevoix counties, and the situation up north is a mess right now, with mask non-compliance and entitlement at an all-time high. As much as I would like to travel to the States right now and see my family for Thanksgiving, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole.
Miggles likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by downinit
I was originally planning to fly LAX to Aruba (via EWR), but my return via PTY on COPA was cancelled and there were no viable alternatives. I rebooked to St Croix, via EWR. I am not even remotely concerned about any excessive exposure on the ground in VI, as I will be traveling solo, wearing a mask, and avoiding people altogether unless I am purchasing food/drinks. All of my flights are in lie-flat J, so I will have some social distancing on the plane (along with an N95 mask). Unfortunately, the recent spike has put my plans in peril due to the inevitable travel restrictions and potential flight cancellations. It is about as social-distancing friendly of a trip as possible (aside from a trip to the wilderness in my own backyard), but a trip with four 3 to 5+ hour flight segments is certainly not risk-free. The irony is that if I stay home, I will just end up visiting the in-laws on Thursday, which is exactly what we are supposed to be avoiding right now. As things stand right now, I am still planning to go ahead, but there are still 6 more days for things to fall apart.
What routing are you taking to STX? I did not know UA served that airport, only STT?
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
not cancelling here, having two family members fly in on UA this coming Wednesday.
cesco.g and J_Stroming like this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
What routing are you taking to STX? I did not know UA served that airport, only STT?
Via SJU (Cape Air)
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
Although worth noting travel restrictions if you are headed into Chicago as opposed to surrounding area. If coming from either DC or VA, there is a 14-day quarantine with a "test out" option with a pre-arrival test. Strongly adviseable even for those where it is not required.
Thanks for the reminder, we do have pre-arrival tests scheduled. Also planning to quarantine upon return to VA.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Whatever you decide, I would not cancel until shortly before travel. Flights are cancelled or significantly delayed for all kinds of reasons and if your flight is cancelled or significantly delayed, you are due a refund rather than a funny money credit. No reason to cancel earlier as you do just as well at T-2 (hours) as T-2 (days).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
One benefit to cancelling at T-2 (days) vice T-2 (hours) is to foreclose the possibility of IT interruptions that preclude super close-in online cancellation.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
One benefit to cancelling at T-2 (days) vice T-2 (hours) is to foreclose the possibility of IT interruptions that preclude super close-in online cancellation.
Meh. Chances of a 120-minute hold time are nil. If it did happen, I would send off a webform which is time-stamped and deal with the fallout afterwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.