Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
QRD - UA's doing three things in 2021 for status:
  1. Reduction in "normal" pre-COVID thresholds,
  2. PQP grant based on status at YE2020,
  3. First 3 etickets flown in Q1 2021 earn a 50% (General member, min 150 / max 1,000 per eticket) or 100% PQP bonus (min 300 / max 1,500 per eticket - UA operated flights only)
UA's also extending all PlusPoint expirations by six (6) months (including those previously extended to 7/31/21).

Requirements for earning 2022 status are:
Silver: 3,000 PQP and 8 PQF, or 3,500 PQP
Gold: 6,000 PQP and 16 PQF, or 7,000 PQP
Platinum: 9,000 PQP and 24 PQF, or 10,000 PQP
1K: 13,500 PQP and 36 PQF, or 15,000 PQP

You get a bonus based on your status level at the end of 2020: (posting early 2021)
Silver: 875 PQP
Gold: 1,750 PQP
Platinum: 2,500 PQP
1K/Global Services: 3,750 PQP

For 2021, credit card earned PQPs can be used in conjunction with the PQF status thresholds (up to including 1K), but not the 1K PQP-only thresholds.

Responses to posted questions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814763-post7.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814962-post22.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815055-post29.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815101-post36.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815583-post73.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815723-post79.html

https://mileageplusupdates.com/mileageplus/english/covid-19/#accordion-special-offer-details (archived link below)
https://archive.is/VzEMu

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
These targets are reasonable and I am especially excited about the double PQP for the first three trips in 2021. Now, if we could only go somewhere far and expensive like SIN or HKG!
boeingair and 8MiHi like this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:40 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by stopdiabetes
If I'm reading this right, earning double PQPS in Q1, with a head start on PQPs depending on status, and for some (like me) with the Presidential Plus Chase card, using flex/earned PQPs all the way up to 1K without the minimum PQF requirement adds up to a real sweetening of the pot. Am I missing something here? A planned trip to CPT in P class in January yields 8k PQPs, which can be added to the 2,500 head start for platinums, which can be added to flex/earned PQPs to then yield 1K pretty quickly, IMHO. Maybe I'm missing something, but for those with the Presidential Plus card, it's a major incentive.:
"Cardmembers with UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card will continue to be able to apply the card-earned PQP to 1K status without having to meet the PQF requirement for 1K.
Note there's a limit on the bonus PQPs -- 1500 per trip.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I missing something here? A planned trip to CPT in P class in January yields 8k PQPs
Is the fare $7000? (Not intended as snark: I have no Idea what P fares to CPT cost, although $7K seems high for P in general).

The maximum bonus per trip, for a Premier member, is 1500 PQP.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:44 am

Another interesting point--the minimum on the first quarter bonus PQP elites is 300 PQP so the good news is you don't have to worry about wasting this opportunity on cheap one-ways if I read that correctly. So your first three trips in that quarter between 300 PQP and 1500 PQP will qualify. That's a nice feature.

So let's say that I want to spend close to 1500 PQP and go as far as possible (gunning for 3MM status) in early January to take advantage of this offer. U.S. citizen so Asia is out. Willing to get a PCR test but need to legally enter the country. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by JNelson113; Nov 12, 2020 at 8:51 am
Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
having a max earnings cap of 1000 PQP with the credit cards (for $24k spend) is asinine.

both the earnings rate and the cap need to at least be doubled in lieu of the former $25k spend PQD waiver.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Will those with MM status also receive the head start?

(I’ve always thought that MMers should receive a head start as motivation to stay with UA. I have lifetime Plat status. Were UA to offer 25K Pqm’s each year, I would definitely strive to get 1K.)
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:08 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So, essentially a head start not a complete rollover

The amount of PQP that you’ll receive will be based on the 2021 Premier status you hold at the end of 2020. The amount of PQP that we deposit will be equal to 25% of the PQP-only requirement for your status level, making it easier to maintain status through January 31, 2023. Here are the PQP amounts we’ll be depositing by Premier status level:
  • Silver: 875 PQP
  • Gold: 1,750 PQP
  • Platinum: 2,500 PQP
  • 1K/Global Services: 3,750 PQP
Members that haven’t been able to fly in 2020 or that have pulled back travel significantly wouldn’t benefit from a rollover of 2020 activity. We want to make sure all Premier members with 2021 status get a jump-start towards requalifying for status, which is why we’re giving a rich PQP deposit equal to 25% of the PQP requirement. However, for members that are flying in 2020 they’ll find it easier to reach Premier status as we’ve reduced requirements for 2021 Premier status by 50% - and this unlocks more earning potential with PQP deposits and our Q1 PQP promotion that has higher bonus earn rates for Premier members. Additionally, we are allowing PQP from our Chase branded credit cards to count all the way up to 1K status; which is new for 2021.

Originally Posted by fumje
For reference, the 2022 targets listed:

Premier Silver: 8 PQF and 3,000 PQP // 3,500 PQP
Premier Gold: 16 PQF and 6,000 PQP // 7,000 PQP
Premier Platinum: 24 PQF and 9,000 PQP // 10,000 PQP
Premier 1K®: 36 PQF and 13,500 PQP // 15,000 PQP

(edit add: it appears that, with the bonus offers, if you start as 1K in 2021 and spend 5250 on 3 trips during January through March, you will hit the requalification. I can't tell what counts as a 'trip', however.)
A “trip” is considered a PQP-eligible flight that is ticketed with travel on United or United Express. Travel must begin no earlier than January 1, 2021 and no later than March 31, 2021 to be eligible for the PQP bonus. If a member’s trip begins before January 1, 2021, it will not count towards this promotion, even if there is travel activity on the same ticket in 2021. However, if the member’s trip begins before March 31, 2021, but it is not completed by that date, they will receive a bonus for the United flight segments flown within the promotion period.

Originally Posted by gcashin
Nice to have some clarity on the goalposts for next year, but the requirements are definitely going to be a challenge for many UA Premier members outside the US. International travel isn't as feasible in the short term and into Q1 with the ongoing border closures and quarantine requirements, so Intl members are not likely to be able to take advantage of the Q1 promo to a great extent. Plus, the ability to earn points towards the credit card spend isn't available in most of UA's major markets outside the US, so another aspect that won't help members outside the US.

May be reasonable for a US domestic traveler to pick up some points in Q1 or via cc spend, but many of the promos don't really help UA's significant international customer base.

Nice to see the extension on the PlusPoints at least, and the head start will be a help to some extent.
These are great points, gcashin. We understand that 2021 will continue to be an unpredictable year, especially with the rigorous travel rules and quarantines in place. We will continue to monitor our members progress towards Premier status, and will take actions if needed because we want to help members achieve Premier status.

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
So, if I have no elite status in 2020, how many PQP do I have to earn in 2021 to earn elite status?
You’ll be tracking towards the reduced Premier qualification requirements we announced today on mileageplusupdates.com. There’s still time to earn Premier status and take advantage of 50% reduced requirements for 2021 Premier status, though. If you’re not traveling in 2020, we’d suggest using the Q1 promo to get a good base of bonus PQP’s; members will still earn a minimum of 450 bonus PQP’s for taking three PQP-earning trips in the promotion period regardless of the value of their PQP-earning ticket, and as much as 1000 bonus PQP per trip.

The 2021 status requirements are:

Silver: 3,000 PQP and 8 PQF, or 3,500 PQP

Gold: 6,000 PQP and 16 PQF, or 7,000 PQP

Platinum: 9,000 PQP and 24 PQF, or 10,000 PQP

In addition to meeting the Premier status requirements, members also need to fly a four-segment minimum on United/ United Express.

Originally Posted by JNelson113
These targets are reasonable and I am especially excited about the double PQP for the first three trips in 2021. Now, if we could only go somewhere far and expensive like SIN or HKG!
We’re glad you’re excited, JNelson113, we are too! You can earn double the PQP on your first three trips as a Premier, as long as you fly on United or United Express between January 1, 2021 and March 31, 2021. Don’t forget there’s no distance requirement in our program (only spend and flights), so even if you can’t go that far you’ll still earn towards Premier status—may we suggest somewhere warm and beachy.

If I'm reading this right, earning double PQPS in Q1, with a head start on PQPs depending on status, and for some (like me) with the Presidential Plus Chase card, using flex/earned PQPs all the way up to 1K without the minimum PQF requirement adds up to a real sweetening of the pot. Am I missing something here? A planned trip to CPT in P class in January yields 8k PQPs, which can be added to the 2,500 head start for platinums, which can be added to flex/earned PQPs to then yield 1K pretty quickly, IMHO. Maybe I'm missing something, but for those with the Presidential Plus card, it's a major incentive.:
"Cardmembers with UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card will continue to be able to apply the card-earned PQP to 1K status without having to meet the PQF requirement for 1K.
Hi stopdiabetes, although Flex PQP’s can no longer be earned, if you have them they only can be used up to Platinum. Any new PQP earned from a MileagePlus credit card is separate from Flex PQP’s, and will count towards 1K status if the PQF requirement is met. Since you have a Presidential Plus card, any new PQP earned from that card actually counts towards either method of qualifying for 1K – either the PQP+PQF requirement, or the PQP-only requirement.

Hi JNelson113, your first three trips between January 1, 2021 and March 31, 2021 will receive a PQP bonus of at least 300 PQP per trip, and no more than 1,500 PQP per trip. However, there is no limit on the base-PQP you can earn per trip. So your trips in the first quarter don’t have to be between 300 PQP and 1500 PQP; even if it’s less than 300 PQP, as long as it’s PQP-earning you’ll receive 300 PQP per trip if you’re a Premier member before you start your trip.

Another interesting point--the minimum on the first quarter bonus PQP elites is 300 PQP so the good news is you don't have to worry about wasting this opportunity on cheap one-ways if I read that correctly. So your first three trips in that quarter between 300 PQP and 1500 PQP will qualify. That's a nice feature.

So let's say that I want to spend close to 1500 PQP and go as far as possible (gunning for 3MM status) in early January to take advantage of this offer. U.S. citizen so Asia is out. Willing to get a PCR test but need to legally enter the country. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Hi JNelson113, your first three trips between January 1, 2021 and March 31, 2021 will receive a PQP bonus of at least 300 PQP per trip, and no more than 1,500 PQP per trip. However, there is no limit on the base-PQP you can earn per trip. So your trips in the first quarter don’t have to be between 300 PQP and 1500 PQP; even if it’s less than 300 PQP, as long as it’s PQP-earning you’ll receive 300 PQP per trip if you’re a Premier member before you start your trip.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 12, 2020 at 1:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider
We’re glad you’re excited, JNelson113, we are too! You can earn double the PQP on your first three trips as a Premier, as long as you fly on United or United Express between January 1, 2021 and March 31, 2021. Don’t forget there’s no distance requirement in our program (only spend and flights), so even if you can’t go that far you’ll still earn towards Premier status—may we suggest somewhere warm and beachy.
Yes, understood, but I am working toward my 3 million miler status, so distance is helpful!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Additionally, we are allowing PQP from our Chase branded credit cards to count all the way up to 1K status; which is new for 2021.
This is for all UA Chase cards correct? I have an older United MP Select Chase card. I am assuming my spend on this card counts, correct?
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:20 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
A “trip” is considered a PQP-eligible flight that is ticketed with travel on United or United Express. Travel must begin no earlier than January 1, 2021 and no later than March 31, 2021 to be eligible for the PQP bonus. If a member’s trip begins before January 1, 2021, it will not count towards this promotion, even if there is travel activity on the same ticket in 2021. However, if the member’s trip begins before March 31, 2021, but it is not completed by that date, they will receive a bonus for the United flight segments flown within the promotion period.
That's not what it says on the website:

A trip is considered a unique PQP-eligible ticket with travel on United within the promotion period. Travel must begin no earlier than January 1, 2021, and no later than March 31, 2021, to be eligible.

(Emphasis added)

The website definition is inclusive of either an one-way, roundtrip, or mult-segment itineraries. The definition provided in the post is by flight segments, which means that an itinerary with 3 segments would max out the bonus.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Y'all are right...I missed the cap on the double PQM in Q1 2021

No, you're not snarky....p class was less, and I missed the cap on the bonus...it's not 50 percent on a $4k p class fare! As usual, my optimism exceeded my realism!

Last edited by stopdiabetes; Nov 12, 2020 at 9:23 am Reason: Adding the title
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
(bolding mine)

Easily achieved with one R/T trip EWR-PVG in Premium Economy (15287 PQP, early Jan to late Feb 2021)
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:30 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi UA Insider. Thanks for sticking around to answer our questions. Truly appreciated. Hope to see you on other treads!
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:35 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zrs70
Will those with MM status also receive the head start?

(I’ve always thought that MMers should receive a head start as motivation to stay with UA. I have lifetime Plat status. Were UA to offer 25K Pqm’s each year, I would definitely strive to get 1K.)
Yes, since you have 2021 Platinum status through your Million Miler achievements, you would receive a PQP deposit of 2,500 PQP, which will be deposited no later than February 1, 2021.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the explanation. My understanding now is that the bonus will be applied to the first three flights during January through March on any ticket for which the first flight occurs after January.

Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

Easily achieved with one R/T trip EWR-PVG in Premium Economy (15287 PQP, early Jan to late Feb 2021)
Are you confusing PQP for PQM (RIP)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.