Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
QRD - UA's doing three things in 2021 for status:
  1. Reduction in "normal" pre-COVID thresholds,
  2. PQP grant based on status at YE2020,
  3. First 3 etickets flown in Q1 2021 earn a 50% (General member, min 150 / max 1,000 per eticket) or 100% PQP bonus (min 300 / max 1,500 per eticket - UA operated flights only)
UA's also extending all PlusPoint expirations by six (6) months (including those previously extended to 7/31/21).

Requirements for earning 2022 status are:
Silver: 3,000 PQP and 8 PQF, or 3,500 PQP
Gold: 6,000 PQP and 16 PQF, or 7,000 PQP
Platinum: 9,000 PQP and 24 PQF, or 10,000 PQP
1K: 13,500 PQP and 36 PQF, or 15,000 PQP

You get a bonus based on your status level at the end of 2020: (posting early 2021)
Silver: 875 PQP
Gold: 1,750 PQP
Platinum: 2,500 PQP
1K/Global Services: 3,750 PQP

For 2021, credit card earned PQPs can be used in conjunction with the PQF status thresholds (up to including 1K), but not the 1K PQP-only thresholds.

Responses to posted questions

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814763-post7.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814962-post22.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815055-post29.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815101-post36.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815583-post73.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32815723-post79.html

https://mileageplusupdates.com/mileageplus/english/covid-19/#accordion-special-offer-details (archived link below)
https://archive.is/VzEMu

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2020, 8:00 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I got 3 refunds this year from UA.

Yeah I know their cash flow situation is uncertain so they can't make that offer.

I'm just saying far more people would be wiling to book if they did offer it.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
I'm just saying far more people would be wiling to book if they did offer it.
They do offer refundable tickets, on (nearly?) every flight they sell. They're just more expensive than the non-refundable tickets.

It's possible that what you're suggesting would be revenue-negative for UA, because the people that are buying those refundable tickets now would presumably switch to these lower-price fares.

Using refundability as a form of (legal) price discrimination has been a core part of UA's pre-COVID strategy (which is one of the reasons that people are looking somewhat askance at the no-change-fee policy, wondering if that's going to lead to higher fares). Throwing that out as a promotion to try to goose their coffers would be quite risky.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's possible that what you're suggesting would be revenue-negative for UA, because the people that are buying those refundable tickets now would presumably switch to these lower-price fares.

Using refundability as a form of (legal) price discrimination has been a core part of UA's pre-COVID strategy (which is one of the reasons that people are looking somewhat askance at the no-change-fee policy, wondering if that's going to lead to higher fares). Throwing that out as a promotion to try to goose their coffers would be quite risky.
But longer life FFC such as 1-year from original travel date (and with residual value) could lessen concerns with when you will get the all clear from the pandemic. Presently if I book next summer, the window for re-booking could be too limited especially those with certain date restrictions. Have an year to re-book provides more piece of mind and could encourage more advance bookings -- and UA retains the funds if delay is needed. Just too much uncertainity present if next summer will be travelable for many.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But longer life FFC such as 1-year from original travel date (and with residual value) could lessen concerns with when you will get the all clear from the pandemic.
Certainly. Something like that would seem to be much less impactful to their business model than the suggestion to offer refundable fares at the existing non-refundable fare prices.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 2:08 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mightyduk
The plain language of the notice is clear, even if it's not what UA intended to communicate. I didn't say I was going to DO anything, I'm merely pointing out the discrepancy, this is a forum for such discussions after all.
Sorry; didn't mean to offend. Forum is also for advice; didn't mean to give unwanted / unsolicited / inapplicable advice even if the correct advice. Apologies.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I couldn't quite figure it out, but do we get miles on these extra PQPs? Or is this a pure PQP bonus for status attainment, but no redeemable miles?
Old Nov 25, 2020, 7:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrt88
I couldn't quite figure it out, but do we get miles on these extra PQPs? Or is this a pure PQP bonus for status attainment, but no redeemable miles?
RDMs are earned based on the fare, not PQPs or bonus PQPs
MileagePlus members will earn MileagePlus miles based on the fare and MileagePlus status for the following flights, with some exclusions as listed at the bottom of this page.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Thanks for clarifying!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
So I read the Ts and Cs closely about the 2x PQP 1Q2021 promo. It defines a trip (of which your first 3 are eligible for 2x up to 1500 bonus) as essentially a UA ticket number it appears (so long as all segments depart btwn Jan 1 and Mar 31). Seems as though one could just book a multi segment itinerary even with long gaps.... I.E. SFO-EWR on 1/20, BOS-SFO on 2/7, LAX-IAD on 2/28. Some fare rules might make this strategy not make sense financially, but looking at the individual segments I may need to fly, the total ticket came out to the sum of the individual segments were they booked separately. So if I am taking 3 flights even weeks apart, various city pairs booked on the same ticket # or PNR, that should still count as 1 trip, leaving 2 more available..... no?
I feel like I might be missing something....
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
So if I'm doing my math right, as I'm currently Plat, if I wanted to make 1K...

13,500 PQP+36 flights required.
I start with 2,500 PQP.

And I have 10,000 Flex PQP from Presidential Plus sitting in my account (and I still hold that card)...

So I could basically pay $1k and fly 36 flights or pay $2,500 in flights and be 1K right then?

Feel like I may be missing some terms and conditions.

Edit: I see that Flex PQP may still only get me to Platinum?

Last edited by raehl311; Dec 2, 2020 at 3:23 am
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
So I read the Ts and Cs closely about the 2x PQP 1Q2021 promo. It defines a trip (of which your first 3 are eligible for 2x up to 1500 bonus) as essentially a UA ticket number it appears (so long as all segments depart btwn Jan 1 and Mar 31). Seems as though one could just book a multi segment itinerary even with long gaps.... I.E. SFO-EWR on 1/20, BOS-SFO on 2/7, LAX-IAD on 2/28. Some fare rules might make this strategy not make sense financially, but looking at the individual segments I may need to fly, the total ticket came out to the sum of the individual segments were they booked separately. So if I am taking 3 flights even weeks apart, various city pairs booked on the same ticket # or PNR, that should still count as 1 trip, leaving 2 more available..... no?
I feel like I might be missing something....
I think that sounds right if everything in your itinerary goes to plan.

But I'd be a little wary of the following language in the T&C for complicated itineraries that you might want or need to change mid-itinerary, or even things like schedule changes, irrops, etc that may require re-ticketing.

https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...glish/covid-19

Making changes to a ticket
  • For changes to partially flown tickets, travel must be completed no later than 14 days after the latest departure date in the original itinerary to qualify as a part of the same Trip. Changed flight segment(s) that depart more than 14 days after the latest departure date in the original itinerary will count as a different Trip.
  • Each Trip must be on one ticket number. If a partially flown ticket is changed for any reason such that the member receives a new ticket number, that new ticket number will be a separate Trip (if eligible).
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm new to UA's new elite status program. I am currently a UA Silver, but I got that thanks to my Marriott Titanium Elite status. Will I get 875 PQP in 2021?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by raehl311
So if I'm doing my math right, as I'm currently Plat, if I wanted to make 1K...

13,500 PQP+36 flights required.
I start with 2,500 PQP.

And I have 10,000 Flex PQP from Presidential Plus sitting in my account (and I still hold that card)...

So I could basically pay $1k and fly 36 flights or pay $2,500 in flights and be 1K right then?

Feel like I may be missing some terms and conditions.

Edit: I see that Flex PQP may still only get me to Platinum?
FPQPs are only good to Platinum. It would be fantastic if UA raised it but I am happy with what the Presidential Plus card has given me over the last decade and a half.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
I think that sounds right if everything in your itinerary goes to plan.

But I'd be a little wary of the following language in the T&C for complicated itineraries that you might want or need to change mid-itinerary, or even things like schedule changes, irrops, etc that may require re-ticketing.

https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...glish/covid-19

I wonder if even SDC will interrupt the bonus. Nominally it shouldn't, since it doesn't affect the fare, but I think it's more likely than not that it would throw a spanner for the bonus calculation.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm new to UA's new elite status program. I am currently a UA Silver, but I got that thanks to my Marriott Titanium Elite status. Will I get 875 PQP in 2021?
I earned Marriott Bonv°y Titanium Elite (formerly Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite) status in 2016, 2018, and 2020, thereby earning complimentary UA MileagePlus Premier Silver membership.

I fully expect to receive 875 Premier qualifying point(s) (PQP) at the beginning of 2021. Such UA Premier Silver membership as we have obtained through Marriott has been considered "earned" by UA for various purposes, unlike, for instance, the companion membership granted to nominees of Million Miler Lifetime Premier Gold members.

Edit: See post # 197 below.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Dec 3, 2020 at 10:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.