Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Paid upgrade doesn't count for PQP if you don't fly it? Bummer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid upgrade doesn't count for PQP if you don't fly it? Bummer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Paid upgrade doesn't count for PQP if you don't fly it? Bummer

Long story short, the military is having me fly back two days earlier than my original booking. I purchased a $500 upgrade to push me into 1k for the year (I make it by $5), so it would have worked out perfectly if everything went according to plan. However, that never happens with the military, and that's on me for assuming it would. So now I have to leave two days early, miss out on HNL-DEN business class, and miss 1k by $500.

Do I have any other recourse other than flying original and paying for hotel out of pocket OR buying another $500 upgrade?

Any advice is appreciated.
-John
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by dbldwn02
Long story short, the military is having me fly back two days earlier than my original booking. I purchased a $500 upgrade to push me into 1k for the year (I make it by $5), so it would have worked out perfectly if everything went according to plan. However, that never happens with the military, and that's on me for assuming it would. So now I have to leave two days early, miss out on HNL-DEN business class, and miss 1k by $500.

Do I have any other recourse other than flying original and paying for hotel out of pocket OR buying another $500 upgrade?

Any advice is appreciated.
-John
Are you cancelling and rebooking another flight?
If so you should receive your original $500 back, which you can then use for another upgrade or if that's not available maybe look into buying a higher fare economy.

Thank you for your service!
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
Are you cancelling and rebooking another flight?
If so you should receive your original $500 back, which you can then use for another upgrade or if that's not available maybe look into buying a higher fare economy.

Thank you for your service!
That’s not entirely correct- the cash upgrades specifically state that they are non refundable. However, lots of folks are successfully able to get the money refunded by asking. YMMV.
dbldwn02 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes only flown flights count
dbldwn02 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by sannmann
That’s not entirely correct- the cash upgrades specifically state that they are non refundable. However, lots of folks are successfully able to get the money refunded by asking. YMMV.
True, however in my experience it the ticket is cancelled the refund comes automatically without having to call.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Is it legal to buy PQP accelerator to make up the points, on your current reservation, before it is cancelled?
Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VRFast
Is it legal to buy PQP accelerator to make up the points, on your current reservation, before it is cancelled?
Yes, and even on a temporary dummy booking. The challenge is getting an offer at or just above what is needed
VRFast likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Nothing counts unless your fly it, except premier accelerator.
SPN Lifer and dbldwn02 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
True, however in my experience it the ticket is cancelled the refund comes automatically without having to call.
I hope that's the case. I guess I'll find out. However, the agent on the phone was very clear that I won't be getting the $500 back. Even 1kvoice just pointed me to the non refundable policy. Ouch.

Good thing southwest is coming to Colorado Springs!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:37 am

I hope that's the case. I guess I'll find out. However, the agent on the phone was very clear that I won't be getting the $500 back. Even 1kvoice just pointed me to the non refundable policy. Ouch.

Please report back
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: UA MM

I've always been under the impression the upgrade fee is non-refundable if you take that flight. The logic is pretty obvious... it prevents passengers from "cornering" F/J seats and then asking for their money back should it become obvious they can get a CPU.
dbldwn02 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I've always been under the impression the upgrade fee is non-refundable if you take that flight. The logic is pretty obvious... it prevents passengers from "cornering" F/J seats and then asking for their money back should it become obvious they can get a CPU.
​​​​​​​See...now that makes sense! However it doesn't read that way and the 3 agents I've talked to say no refund even if I switch flights.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
See...now that makes sense! However it doesn't read that way and the 3 agents I've talked to say no refund even if I switch flights.
Maybe you could point out that you are a serviceman whose orders were changed at the last minute.

Sometimes people on the other end of the line have a heart
dbldwn02 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I've always been under the impression the upgrade fee is non-refundable if you take that flight.
Only refundable for involuntary change

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ium-cabin.html

Are premium cabin seating offers refundable?

Premium cabin seating offers are nonrefundable, except in the event of an involuntary change, such as a flight cancellation, a change to a different flight, or an oversold flight, that does not allow the customer to be accommodated in a premium cabin.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Only refundable for involuntary change

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ium-cabin.html

Are premium cabin seating offers refundable?

Premium cabin seating offers are nonrefundable, except in the event of an involuntary change, such as a flight cancellation, a change to a different flight, or an oversold flight, that does not allow the customer to be accommodated in a premium cabin.
Right but I'm not asking for a refund...just a change. Most airfares aren't refundable but can be changed. Their policy doesn't say "not transferrable/changeable" I know I'm reaching here but it reads pretty clear.

Anyways, I resigned to the fact that I probably was out $500 and a first class seat. I made the change on the UA App and it went through with a booking error, requiring me to call. I guess the paid first class upgrade was the issue. When I called, I only asked to finish the reservation. To my surprise the agent noticed I paid for the upgrade and transferred it over without me asking. Didn't even need to talk to a supervisor. So, who knows what the official policy is...

So my new reservation is exactly the same price and shows the same fare codes as before. I'm assuming the $500 pqp will be applied then, but won't know until tomorrow. If not, I'll just call MP Service Desk and explain that the I paid for an upgrade AND flew the upgraded leg. I'm hopeful it will all work out.
SPN Lifer, DELee and JimInOhio like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.