Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New UA Lavatory Policies - 1 Nov 2020 -- still policy??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Lavatory Policies - 1 Nov 2020 -- still policy??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Steve M
I flew two flights today - one mainline and one express. The safety briefing in both cases was as it always has been: they specifically mentioned that you are to use the lavatory only in your ticketed cabin. This policy change seems like a false rumor to me.
I think it is actually a violation of FAA rules. AA cabin crew explained to me that the reason they stopped preventing Y pax from using F lavatories on domestic flights is because of some FAA rule.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 11:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fly747first
I think it is actually a violation of FAA rules. AA cabin crew explained to me that the reason they stopped preventing Y pax from using F lavatories on domestic flights is because of some FAA rule.
Never listen to any airline cabin crew about FAA rules - most of them wouldn't know a legitimate FAA regulation if it pee'd on their leg, which is why they enjoy making up their own rules.

There is a TSA rule that requires passengers to remain in their assigned cabin while on an international flight enroute to the USA (and I believe while departing, but I am not certain), but nothing for domestic flights that I am aware of. The FAA could care less who uses what lavatory, but an airline's product team should know enough that A) premium cabin passengers by and large do not appreciate their lavatories being used by main cabin customers especially if that means they need to wait, and B) moving a potential cluster of people from the back of the aircraft and up to the front premium cabin so whatever health concern existed before can now be shared by people at the back and the front

United's policy change here is just dumb no matter how you slice it.
J_Stroming likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
4 flights since this started. Haven’t seen much in way of annoyingly increased traffic. FA’s definitely do not overtly encourage coach passengers to use front lavs.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and nnn like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
UA did recently allow Y use the J lavs so you will have more people bouncing back and forth between cabins in terms of foot traffic.
I think that’s just domestic, not international Polaris.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think that’s just domestic, not international Polaris.
Haven't seen anything that says this. I think you are mixing up with AA's policy where domestic is OK but not INTL.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Are you sure? I have not been on a Polaris flight in a few months, but the J lavs were always very closely guarded. But I don’t know current policy.

Edit: my posts were moved here from another thread. I’m still not clear whether this applies to Polaris or not.

Last edited by LondonElite; Nov 16, 2020 at 1:29 pm
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you sure? I have not been on a Polaris flight in a few months, but the J lavs were always very closely guarded. But I don’t know current policy.

Edit: my posts were moved here from another thread. I’m still not clear whether this applies to Polaris or not.
I read up on the articles from OMAAT and Live and Let's Fly and neither say anything that excludes Polaris. Lucky's article does confirm the AA policy.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I read up on the articles from OMAAT and Live and Let's Fly and neither say anything that excludes Polaris. Lucky's article does confirm the AA policy.
I’ll be on Polaris to and from Japan next week and will try to remember to report back.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Had two more domestic flights today and about 10+ since Nov 1 started. Every single flight has used the old announcements of "please use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin." Since that was almost never enforced to begin with I haven't noticed an increase in traffic in the front of the plane (yet).

-RM
SPN Lifer and nnn like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
I’ll be on Polaris to and from Japan next week and will try to remember to report back.
Please do. I guess this is a reason to pick away from bulkheads or the mini-cabin if foot traffic increases.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Had two more domestic flights today and about 10+ since Nov 1 started. Every single flight has used the old announcements of "please use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin." Since that was almost never enforced to begin with I haven't noticed an increase in traffic in the front of the plane (yet).
I guess since flights aren't very full anyway there is little need to venture out to the front lav. On a normal day I've seen people try and get into the fwd cabin given the FAA regulated fishnet curtains used by US carriers. Proper curtains on non-US carriers work much better IME.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Never listen to any airline cabin crew about FAA rules - most of them wouldn't know a legitimate FAA regulation if it pee'd on their leg, which is why they enjoy making up their own rules.
Very funny, haha. However, not sure how accurate that statement is... in the past AA's cabin crews closely guarded the F lavs on domestic flights so I do think it is possible that the FAA changed rules for domestic flights.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I guess since flights aren't very full anyway there is little need to venture out to the front lav. On a normal day I've seen people try and get into the fwd cabin given the FAA regulated fishnet curtains used by US carriers. Proper curtains on non-US carriers work much better IME.
Flights are actually very full. Every single flight in the past two months for me (save for one that I can think of) has had the message at check-in that my flight is full and I can change if I want to. Of course the bar for that message is 70% full. But I would say most of my flights are at 80%+.

-RM
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI

-RM
I disagree: I found FAs routinely enforced the lava policies, esp int'l.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by fly747first
Very funny, haha. However, not sure how accurate that statement is... in the past AA's cabin crews closely guarded the F lavs on domestic flights so I do think it is possible that the FAA changed rules for domestic flights.
Really, how far in the past?

When my youngest left the house in 2013, I returned to full-time weekly travel, mostly on AA, and all in J. I have NEVER seen such behavior by the flight attendants.

What I do see is that AA does a fantastic job off keeping Y passengers from queuing in the J cabin. They allow them to queue near the bulkhead seat in Y. I've never had to queue behind a Y pax.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Putting aside the DHS rule prohibiting passenger movement between cabins on international flights destined for the US, the primary purpose of the rule is to provide a better travel experience to F pax. Nobody hanging around the F aisle (talking about standard single aisle) and no long wait to use the lav. Maybe a bit cleaner because it gets less use.

Now, the goal is to make most efficient use of the lavs without regard to cabin. If the aircraft has 3 lavs with one forward and two in the rear with 120 pax, the goal is that there are 40 pax per lav rather than 12 in F with 1 and 118 with 2.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.