Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sleeping in UA J with a mask these days...

Old Oct 27, 20, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS

We are thinking about starting off the new year in Hawaii; probably Maui first and then Oahu and then back home. I think that is ok with the travel restrictions. On the return, it looks like the evening flight HNL-SFO in J is pretty reasonably priced. Seeing it is a night flight, the idea would be to catch a few Zs, so what is it like sleeping in J these days with a mask? Is it even doable?
Old Oct 27, 20, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Originally Posted by applegrcoug View Post
We are thinking about starting off the new year in Hawaii; probably Maui first and then Oahu and then back home. I think that is ok with the travel restrictions. On the return, it looks like the evening flight HNL-SFO in J is pretty reasonably priced. Seeing it is a night flight, the idea would be to catch a few Zs, so what is it like sleeping in J these days with a mask? Is it even doable?
Do they police mask use at night? I recall they would make an announcement to make sure your seat belt is outside your blanket so they don't wake you at night. Though I really only saw this happen in Y. I hope they aren't waking people up to check for masks
msp3 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can sleep (and have slept) with a mask on on several flights. If one turns away from aisle, might be able to hide lack of mask use, but I think a FA has every right (and maybe an obligation) to wake a sleeping passenger noticeably w/o a mask on. There's an announcement that masks can be removed for eating/drinking (with prompt replacement), but no exception for sleeping is offered. Covid doesn't tuck itself in when you do, and even though one might get a negative pre-arrival test, there's no guarantee one can't pick up a couple of virological hitchhikers in Honolulu..

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 27, 20 at 6:49 pm
Old Oct 27, 20, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Do they police mask use at night? I recall they would make an announcement to make sure your seat belt is outside your blanket so they don't wake you at night. Though I really only saw this happen in Y. I hope they aren't waking people up to check for masks
I'm more worried about it wiggling off while you sleep, especially my son that is six.
ajGoes, cruisr and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by applegrcoug View Post
I'm more worried about it wiggling off while you sleep, especially my son that is six.
I have taken a few redeye flights, and I was flying internationally until just before the pandemic declaration. I started wearing a mask on board in January. It hasn't bothered me at all, and I actually somewhat prefer it, since it helps avoid drying out my sinuses.

Of course, others have different reactions.

It won't be a perfect simulation, but why not try once or twice at home?
st3, gcuk, wpcoe and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz President's Circle, National EXC, Hyatt EXP, UA/HHonors/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
I flew LH and OS in lie-flat seats a few weeks ago. I didn't sleep that great with the mask as I obviously don't sleep with one on at home. The hot cabins on both carriers and the narrow seats didn't help either as wearing a mask, and then an eyeshade made it very hot. I've flown a ton on narrow body aircraft since the mask requirement went into effect and have managed to catch some shut-eye here or there.

As far as mask enforcement, I think it'll probably be very crew dependent.
Old Oct 27, 20, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3 View Post
Do they police mask use at night?
It's not like you stop breathing or COVID is going to sleep...
Old Oct 27, 20, 5:39 pm

No problem for me at all on 4 trans-atlantics. Slept well on all and typically hate eye masks - so was surprised at how comfortable it was. Likely a good mindset on the importance of masks helps.
tcdtcd, cricketer and Miggles like this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I don't have any idea what UA will do, but I was on WN last week and the FAs woke up a guy in the row in front of me three times in a two hour flight to tell him to pull his mask up over his nose.
Auto Enthusiast and jasonp622 like this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot, Hilton
sleeping with a mask is remarkably similar to being a awake with a mask
jah718, Weatherboy and cruisr like this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I slept fine with a mask on during a recent EWR-LAX flight. Would recommend one of the more comfortable versions (vs. blue medical kind) if you donít already have
Old Oct 27, 20, 6:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jasonp622 View Post
Although itís probably even more similar to sleeping without a mask
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasonp622 View Post
Sleeping with a mask in J is also similar to sleeping with a mask in Y. I have done both and I don't think it's a big deal; if anything you notice the mask less when you're sleeping.

The FAs should be enforcing masks even at night, just as they do with the seatbelt sign - and it's easier to see if you're wearing a mask than a seatbelt.
jasonp622, Often1, Miggles and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
It's not like you stop breathing or COVID is going to sleep...
I'm not sure what your comment has to do with my reply. The plane doesn't stop flying when I sleep either.

I always wear my seat belt. Sometimes I forget to have the belt over my blanket and I've had an FA wake me up to check a few times. This happens mostly in Y though.

When I sleep I typically face away from the aisle to avoid lights and aisle activity. It's may not be obvious if my mask is on correctly.

In either case I would find it annoying and hard to sleep if the FA were constantly waking me up to check. Thus i hope they are not policing mask usage to the point that it affects my ability to sleep like they sometimes police seatbelt usage. I haven't been on an overnight flight lately so I don't know the extent. Hopefully it is minimal

​​​​
Old Oct 27, 20, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The UA policy is simple and in plain English. No exceptions for J or night. Sort of makes sense unless someone has good scientific evidence that J passengers don't shed the virus.

For everyone's safety, all travelers are required to wear a face covering with no vents or openings that fully covers their nose and mouth. Face coverings must be worn during the entire flight and in the airport, including at United customer service counters and kiosks, United Club℠ locations, our gates and our baggage claim areas. A face shield alone does not count as a face covering. Travelers who aren't wearing their face coverings in the airport or on board may be refused transport and could also lose their travel privileges on future United flights. Children younger than 2 years old are exempt.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: