Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sleeping in UA J with a mask these days...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping in UA J with a mask these days...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2020, 12:40 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
On a recent flight from O'Hare back to SFO on an A320, I saw the FA gently woke up the guy sitting in 2A twice when his mask slipped down and did not cover his nose. I appreciate the FA's enforcement of this policy as it makes the flying experience safer for all passengers onboard during the pandemic.

I also reminded a FA who forgot to put his mask on when started the service. He apparently forgot it, then put it back quickly and said "Thank you" to me with a smile.
iluv2fly and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hadn't even considered this question since I'm not currently flying TATL or TPAC and Boraxo don't do domestic redeyes. But it's a fair question as I can't imagine a paper mask is comfortable for side sleepers. OTOH I have no trouble sleeping with a mask over my eyes, so i suppose a soft cloth mouth mask or gaiter might be tolerable. Maybe it is something to practice at home LOL. But largely academic, I expect, for those of us who don't want to share a metal tube with strangers for hours.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UAFAM
I always put my blanket on my head, and then take the mask off (its my own blanket)
Is this permitted? I guess your nose and mouth is still covered. I remember doing this once on an especially cold flight and to block light.

Originally Posted by UA vs NW
On a recent flight from O'Hare back to SFO on an A320, I saw the FA gently woke up the guy sitting in 2A twice when his mask slipped down and did not cover his nose. I appreciate the FA's enforcement of this policy as it makes the flying experience safer for all passengers onboard during the pandemic.

I also reminded a FA who forgot to put his mask on when started the service. He apparently forgot it, then put it back quickly and said "Thank you" to me with a smile.
I have no problem with waking someone up to correct a problem. I do have a problem with waking someone up just to check. (ie. blankets/seatbelts). I generally purposely face away to avoid light pollution (even with my mask on) so by definition, it makes it difficult to see. I suppose this is a YMMV thing.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
Is this permitted? I guess your nose and mouth is still covered. I remember doing this once on an especially cold flight and to block light...
I would think a blanket covering entire head would be OK.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
In Polaris I’ve managed to build a little fort/tent out of the duvet and sleep under that. Best lately was Emirates new F suite. Like flying normally until the doors open!
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SteveHK
In Polaris I’ve managed to build a little fort/tent out of the duvet and sleep under that. Best lately was Emirates new F suite. Like flying normally until the doors open!
Is this in the Polaris hard product or the old style?
I've always felt the polaris hard product seats (window) were already kind of fort like. It's pretty "deep" when you are laying down. Kind of like a coffin.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 4:05 pm

I took night flights from SFO to HNL last week, and both sets of crew made the rounds to make sure masks remained on and over the nose.

On the westbound flight, they asked people who weren't actively eating or drinking to put on their mask and reminded someone who tried to use snacking as a loophole that United "had a one warning system" and that additional observed non-compliance would lead to loss of traveling privileges on the airline.

On the eastbound flight (the redeye), they woke people up, including a gentleman who wore a bandana as a mask (he looked like a Wild West highwayman) if the mask fell below the nose.
Doppy and nnn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.