Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sleeping in UA J with a mask these days...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping in UA J with a mask these days...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Just flew back on Polaris On sat.. and it really wasn’t that bad. The food on the other hand...a different story altogether!
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:35 pm

I always put my blanket on my head, and then take the mask off (its my own blanket)
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If you aren’t used to wearing a mask flying/sleeping will be an adjustment. But you can adjust.

Gotta wear a mask.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Just do what you need to do quietly to be comfortable on a long haul.
msp3 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just wear the mask!

There are various types of masks on the market. Some of them are great while sleeping. There are also inserts you can buy to ease the breathing/pressure on long haul flights.

I am almost flying weekly now and sleep like a baby in non-flat-bed seats wearing a mask.
Miggles likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 2:23 am
Suspended

I started wearing masks on my sleeping flights a few years ago after my Japanese wife showed me the benefits - no more dried out sinuses / bloody noses in arrival. The trick for us is to use a thin comfortable mask - typically single use. Just took red-eye from Middle East to London and slept well - here’s a pic of my mask....

I have not had any FA ever wake me to correct a mask and have woken up with it half off - once you get used to the warm moist air it’s actually quite nice - but I realize it’s not pleasant for everyone....
Kmxu and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
No problem for me in LH F, both directions. I find the lighter disposable masks are the most comfortable for this purpose. YMMV.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UAFAM
I always put my blanket on my head, and then take the mask off (its my own blanket)
I do the same. In fact, I've always slept with the blanket covering my head on planes, it's just so much more comfortable for me.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Textile
... I have not had any FA ever wake me to correct a mask and have woken up with it half off ....
Great to hear!
Old Oct 28, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Textile
I started wearing masks on my sleeping flights a few years ago after my Japanese wife showed me the benefits - no more dried out sinuses / bloody noses in arrival. The trick for us is to use a thin comfortable mask - typically single use. Just took red-eye from Middle East to London and slept well - here’s a pic of my mask....

I have not had any FA ever wake me to correct a mask and have woken up with it half off - once you get used to the warm moist air it’s actually quite nice - but I realize it’s not pleasant for everyone....
What mask is that? Looks pretty good for a disposable in terms of not slipping, etc.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1.9MM
I have flown several times recently RT EWR-TLV and mask over mouth and nose was strictly enforced. FAs even woke sleeping passengers if their mask fell below their nose.
It made me feel safe and am all for it. It didn't stop me from sleeping.
No mask no fly. Period.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
The lie-flat is on the HNL-LAX flights (and LAX-EWR transcon). I have flown 4 + 1 of these and slept fine with 2 different types of masks on - medical and cloth.
The HNL-SFO is standard domestic first class seating.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nmpls
What mask is that? Looks pretty good for a disposable in terms of not slipping, etc.
We’ve used these for years - bought on Amazon - not sure if currently available - they are like nylon and comfortable....

Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: United currently plat
depends on the crew

I flew HNL - LAX and back in August in F 788 lie flats.

On the red-eye i was wearing a KN95 korean mask and the ear bands became extremely uncomfortable 🥵. My ears were aching so badly at some point in the night but i kept it on.

So basically make sure you have a comfortable mask.

Outbound crew was very clear about regulations and i heard the purser asking several times for pax to cover their noses.

On the way home the crew was much more lax and at different points in F i noticed pax not wearing their masks and not getting called out.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
To minimize an uncomfortable mask, On my next TATL my plan is too stay awake the night before, get a a few drinks and get a good buzzing going pre-flight and pass out after the meal service
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.