Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using a half face respirator on UA flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using a half face respirator on UA flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:58 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I'm just waiting (especially with Halloween next week) for someone to try to board wearing an Imperial Stormtrooper helmet and see what the FA says
Well, I am flying on Halloween next week, so it might be appropriate.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:14 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
It would be helpful if United posted an official clarification as to whether or not vented masks can be worn if covered by a non-vented mask. I am no expert, but it seems to me that covering a vented mask with a surgical mask can't be much worse for others than covering your plain face with a surgical mask.
Loren Pechtel and kthomas like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
It would be helpful if United posted an official clarification as to whether or not vented masks can be worn if covered by a non-vented mask. I am no expert, but it seems to me that covering a vented mask with a surgical mask can't be much worse for others than covering your plain face with a surgical mask.
Does a bandana or scarf wrapped around your face meet the covering requirement for United?
kthomas likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nnn
It would be helpful if United posted an official clarification as to whether or not vented masks can be worn if covered by a non-vented mask.....
UA is quite explicit
All travelers are required to wear a face covering with no vents or openings that fully covers their nose and mouth. A face shield alone does not count as a face covering.
Things like what if I put a mask over the vent is getting into territory that is unrealistic to manage in the real world. No vents.

Understand why folks would want the double protection (both from others and for others), the airlines do not have the necessarily front-line expertise to evaluate whether your jury rigged version is appropriate.

Need to keep this simple and it quickly becomes unmanageable.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
That's one of the reasons why I recently stopped wearing mine. Don't need any issues from aggressive gate agents or otherwise.
I've flow multiple flights with masks over cartridge "ears" on N100 gear on DL, AF, AM, and AZ over the past 4 months. Not once has it been a problem, though security at DTW (international arrival) didn't know what it was and made me take it off for the scanner.

One mask over the left ear, one over the night, both covering the vent (plus I have the vent covered with a filter on the interior side as well).
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is quite explicit

Things like what if I put a mask over the vent is getting into territory that is unrealistic to manage in the real world. No vents.

Understand why folks would want the double protection (both from others and for others), the airlines do not have the necessarily front-line expertise to evaluate whether your jury rigged version is appropriate.

Lord. Even the FAs on my recent CDG->DTW weren't wearing appropriate masks. Sealed P/N100 gear is going to provide more protection for all parties than a simple surgical mask, which, ya know?, has openings on all four sides.

Sometimes practicality and judgment has to play more of a role than "following the rules by the letter." The purpose of the policy is to reduce spread. (And nothing in UA's proclamation, seems to rule out wearing something under a surgical mask).
kontrakobra, nocharge and kerm65 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by nnn
The UA rule could not be more explicit or simpler.

That is a benefit to both the front line staff and the customer. The goal is not to take someone who scans boarding passes and turn them into an authority on the subject matter.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:14 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
UA is quite explicit
Originally Posted by Often1

That is a benefit to both the front line staff and the customer. The goal is not to take someone who scans boarding passes and turn them into an authority on the subject matter.
I disagree. By remaining silent on mask-over-mask, UA is creating confusion -- as evidenced by the person referenced in the OP. I suspect that that person is not alone. If United doesn't want mask-over-mask, I think they should add a sentence to their website that says so. That would be explicit and clear. And it would make things easier for UA's front-line employees, as customers won't have any room to make up their own rules or argue.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

The statement may be simple but how different airline staff and airport staff interpret the rule is what brings us to this discussion.

I don’t understand what you mean jury rigged configuration. A half face respirator has benefit to the wearer and those around them. Getting a proper fitting mask and one that satisfies the airline requirements makes this more effective and safe for everyone.

I see someone earlier asked if bandana or scarf wrapped around your face meets the requirement?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 26, 2020 at 1:32 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by nnn
I disagree. By remaining silent on mask-over-mask, UA is creating confusion -- as evidenced by the person referenced in the OP. I suspect that that person is not alone. If United doesn't want mask-over-mask, I think they should add a sentence to their website that says so. That would be explicit and clear. And it would make things easier for UA's front-line employees, as customers won't have any room to make up their own rules or argue.
Once they start explicitly enumerating particular forbidden modes of face covering, they open the door to the interpretation that other things *aren't* forbidden. By stating what is required, and leaving it at that, they are arguably avoiding more confusion than they are creating.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by kerm65
The statement may be simple but how different airline staff and airport staff interpret the rule is what brings us to this discussion.

I don’t understand what you mean jury rigged configuration. A half face respirator has benefit to the wearer and those around them. Getting a proper fitting mask and one that satisfies the airline requirements makes this more effective and safe for everyone.

I see someone earlier asked if bandana or scarf wrapped around your face meets the requirement?
UA is very explicit on what is allowed and this has been pointed out to you several times. Sounds like you are still searching for an answer you like.

Why not wear your half face respirator and let us know how it turned out?
cre95 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
UA is very explicit on what is allowed and this has been pointed out to you several times. Sounds like you are still searching for an answer you like.

Why not wear your half face respirator and let us know how it turned out?
Looks like they/he was trying to get feedback from others experience and the random enforcement of the rules. I jumped on this thread as i am interested to see how others have managed with masks and respirators. Good to see all the comments.

Last edited by FL510; Oct 26, 2020 at 2:12 pm Reason: correction typo
Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:18 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No vents.
I respectfully disagree with that categorical interpretation. One can wear an N95 with a vent under a paper face mask so long as the paper mask covers the nose and mouth. That the N95 (with a vent) is behind the required "face covering with no vent or opening" doesn't change the analysis of the plain language.

I believe you called it double protection.
nnn, Loren Pechtel and nocharge like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
I respectfully disagree with that categorical interpretation. One can wear an N95 with a vent under a paper face mask so long as the paper mask covers the nose and mouth. That the N95 (with a vent) is behind the required "face covering with no vent or opening" doesn't change the analysis of the plain language.

I believe you called it double protection.
I don't know about United Airlines, but Delta doesn't care about the vents on regular masks or N95s and just hands out a mask to cover the vent. And I saw this on the last 4 flights I took in the last 2 weeks. I saw people with turtle neck shirts that they used as face coverings and many bandanas and gaiters. My only concern was drawing attention to myself with a half-mask respirator, so I stopped wearing them for now but they can be easily covered with a mask/bandana or the exhausted covered with a piece of mask. I think this whole thing comes down to the gate agents and the flight attendants and definitely what airport you're flying out of.
kthomas and kontrakobra like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
The Mandalorian helmet looks pretty airtight. Anyone want to give it a wing?
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.