Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using a half face respirator on UA flight?

Using a half face respirator on UA flight?

Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I wear a CPAP while sleeping and I tape a mask over the vent while sleeping. So far no one has said a word. I did file my perscription with UA though, just to make sure there are no hassles.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:51 pm

thanks, you use a nose/mouth cpap mask? that would look like a half face respirator. Have you traveling with this in the last couple months?

Last edited by FL510; Oct 25, 2020 at 7:51 pm Reason: correction
Old Oct 25, 2020, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by kerm65
Thanks for your notes, agree, I've worn half face respirators for long periods of time, easy on/off if necessary. more comfortable than the disposable respirator and better seal.
What airlines are you using? Any objections from staff, when you cover the exhaust vent with a simple surgical mask?
Once the airlines mandated no mask with vents I stopped wearing the half face respirator. It was definitely more comfortable and better sealing for sure. I think if its covered they wouldn't care, and personally most of them don't even have a clue they have an exhaust vent, because you can't even see it. I just didn't want to draw any attention to myself. But, if I ever feel my health is in jeopardy on any airline I wouldn't think about it twice and put it on.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:46 pm

I saw it last week at SFO, although person wearing it concealed it under a bandana, IMO it looks a bit odd and scary without bandana
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FL510
thanks, you use a nose/mouth cpap mask? that would look like a half face respirator. Have you traveling with this in the last couple months?

No, it covers only my nose - but you can't open your mouth when you wear it or you can't breathe due to the pressure from the air blowing in your nose. My travel CPAP has a exhalation valve on the hose right above the inlet filter and there is nothing covering that area. My travel CPAP is about the size of a soda can and is very small. I just plug it in and lay back. The last time I used it was August, but I am flying to Spain in early December and I'll use it then as well.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Lmao. Why not go for the full hooded respirator helmet?
cre95, Silver Fox and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Lmao. Why not go for the full hooded respirator helmet?
I'm just waiting (especially with Halloween next week) for someone to try to board wearing an Imperial Stormtrooper helmet and see what the FA says
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I'm just waiting (especially with Halloween next week) for someone to try to board wearing an Imperial Stormtrooper helmet and see what the FA says

David
kevflyer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I wear this type of respirator in stores, malls, and restaurants while picking up takeout. Valves are generally not permitted in those places either. What I did was cut a surgical mask, then tape the cut fabric over the valve.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kerm65
so you are saying the 0.50 mask to cover the exhaust vent of the respirator does the trick? Either for a half face respirator or disposable respirator?
I know many people wear a disposable respirator with a vent and cover it with a surgical mask. But the half face respirator just fits correctly during travel.
friend bought 3M half face respirators for his family, and as he was boarding a UA flight from SFO at the end of Sept. the gate agent cited rules that banned vented or half/full respirators.
​​​​​​
Agent was were unfazed when he offered to all wear a surgical mask over top. he boarded with surical masks and put the 3m half respirators plus surgical masks on back after boarding.

flight crew was unaware of the boarding discussion, but they still saw this and told them in no uncertain terms wear ONLY a surgial mask or walk with them off the plane to pick a different flight/carrier.

​​​​​​similar issue happened to me on Frontier.

​​​​​
Silver Fox and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The point here is that there is little tolerance by GA's or FA's to argue about these issues. Easier to deny boarding or offload a passenger and deal with it once the flight has gone.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The point here is that there is little tolerance by GA's or FA's to argue about these issues. Easier to deny boarding or offload a passenger and deal with it once the flight has gone.
It really just depends on who you get. I've boarded flights where the GAs and FAs haven't said a word about people with vented masks, masks pulled below the nose and mouth, etc. It's highly a YMMV sort of situation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
It really just depends on who you get. I've boarded flights where the GAs and FAs haven't said a word about people with vented masks, masks pulled below the nose and mouth, etc. It's highly a YMMV sort of situation.
And recent flights I've been on it seems the flight attendants are reluctant to approach older passengers, which I noticed didn't keep their masks on, but they gladly pointed out older children who didn't. This was on Delta. They need to approach all passengers, but they don't. That's why I try not to eat or drink on flights and just take all the snacks and stuff they hand out with me to my hotel room for later.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
No, it covers only my nose - but you can't open your mouth when you wear it or you can't breathe due to the pressure from the air blowing in your nose. My travel CPAP has a exhalation valve on the hose right above the inlet filter and there is nothing covering that area. My travel CPAP is about the size of a soda can and is very small. I just plug it in and lay back. The last time I used it was August, but I am flying to Spain in early December and I'll use it then as well.
In the hospital, CPAP is considered an aerosol generating procedure that creates significant risk to others. Maybe the physics of a portable device is different, but using a CPAP on a plane could significantly increase the risk of transmission.
ajGoes and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Automatic upgrade to first class for anyone who shows up wearing one on one of my flights!
Aussienarelle likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.