FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA experience of flying COVID+ or next to someone that is? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2027159-ua-experience-flying-covid-next-someone.html)

UAFAM Oct 20, 2020 7:55 pm

Its very interesting that media didn't make headline about a passenger death due to Covid while onboard an airplane!

cfischer Oct 20, 2020 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by UAFAM (Post 32761960)
Its very interesting that media didn't make headline about a passenger death due to Covid while onboard an airplane!

:confused: they are ... which is why we have this thread ...

DELee Oct 20, 2020 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 32761966)
:confused: they are ... which is why we have this thread ...

Even FT:Texas Confirms COVID-19 Death Aboard Aircraft

David

bocastephen Oct 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32761165)
But other than allowing passengers to self-certifying all is well, it seems United really has no process for dealing with COVID+ on-board. No one has posted their experience with being caught-up in on-board contact tracing yet.

Why is why I don't see travel ever picking up again at a normal pace until there is a highly reliable, instant-read test that can be applied to each passenger during their journey into the airport (or hotel/mall/building). You read positive, back outside to do a nasal or blood test to confirm, you read negative, you can come inside. Couple that with a vaccine, and we might even have buffets again one day.

dsftm Oct 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32761979)
Why is why I don't see travel ever picking up again at a normal pace until there is a highly reliable, instant-read test that can be applied to each passenger during their journey into the airport (or hotel/mall/building). You read positive, back outside to do a nasal or blood test to confirm, you read negative, you can come inside. Couple that with a vaccine, and we might even have buffets again one day.

Travel will only pick up to normal pace after a vaccine has been made available to majority of the population. Any other scenario is pollyannaish.

Often1 Oct 21, 2020 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32761165)
But other than allowing passengers to self-certifying all is well, it seems United really has no process for dealing with COVID+ on-board. No one has posted their experience with being caught-up in on-board contact tracing yet.

Nor should UA have any such process. This is a public health matter and it is dealt with -- if at all -- by local jurisdictions.

bocastephen Oct 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32764151)
Nor should UA have any such process. This is a public health matter and it is dealt with -- if at all -- by local jurisdictions.

United is most definitely responsible for both reporting an onboard contagion and informing every passenger who was on board their inbound and outbound flights, and anyone who might have been at their gate or any of the adjacent gates.

UAFAM Oct 21, 2020 11:15 pm

It happened back in July, info has just been released (3 months after), it occurred on Spirit flight (middle seat was not blocked), obviously they did not inform other passengers onboard, otherwise we would have heard this news 90 days ago. Spirit LAS-DFW flight.
I am pretty sure there are a handful of covid positive on every flight!
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/he...c-8f43610a0ca4

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 32761969)

Either way I agree you can't really expect a different outcome from an airline, when their gate agent takes COVID safety measures so seriously:
note: its OAK based gate agent.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6a90e81a5.jpeg

HNLbasedFlyer Oct 21, 2020 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32764504)
United is most definitely responsible for both reporting an onboard contagion and informing every passenger who was on board their inbound and outbound flights, and anyone who might have been at their gate or any of the adjacent gates.

United runs an airline. Contact tracing should be managed by professionals under the guidance of local health authorities. United has an obligation to produce a manifest with contact information requested from local health authorities - an airline does not have the expertise to do its own contact tracing or follow up questions.

ei124 Oct 22, 2020 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32758624)
With the testing regime up for Hawaii flights, there's a larger volume of flyers that know their status. It looks like AA will prevent you from flying and will ban you for flying for 2 weeks after a positive test result, even if you subsequently test negative. Does UA do something similar?

Going back to the original question, what happens if you get a positive result from the Hawaii pre-departure test? I know that in theory you can’t fly UA for 14 days (and you declare your compliance with this at check-in). Does UA enforce this through the honor system? Or do they temporarily “ban” you and actually prevent you from checking in / boarding your flight? If it’s the former, I’d guess there’s a lot of COVID positive travelers flouting the rules.

econ Oct 22, 2020 12:50 am

Originally Posted by HumbleBee (Post 32761919)
Not necessarily Covid related, but a passenger sitting next to me on EWR-FLL today had a seizure for the first time in her life.

A medic who happened to be onboard responded. When things calmed down, the FA used his tablet to document the incident & compensate the medic. After the FA choose the most severe category of assistance in medical emergency, the system gave him a $75 ETC.

Hilarious. I got more than 2x that amount several months ago when the power at my seat wasn't working.

zombietooth Oct 22, 2020 1:26 am

Originally Posted by UAFAM (Post 32764611)
It happened back in July, info has just been released (3 months after), it occurred on Spirit flight (middle seat was not blocked), obviously they did not inform other passengers onboard, otherwise we would have heard this news 90 days ago. Spirit LAS-DFW flight.
I am pretty sure there are a handful of covid positive on every flight!
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/he...c-8f43610a0ca4

Either way I agree you can't really expect a different outcome from an airline, when their gate agent takes COVID safety measures so seriously:
note: its OAK based gate agent.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6a90e81a5.jpeg

I see this every day when I interact with restaurant, hotel, supermarket, superstore, Post Office, etc. staff. The "nose out" thing is almost comically widespread. The FAs on UA have been pretty good IME.

94010flyer Oct 29, 2020 2:31 pm

UA lets a COVID positive patient fly ORD-HNL

Seriously, your checklist to be ready to fly, requires that you " have not received a positive COVID test" rather than requiring that "you have received a negative test result". Who's the idiot who designed that checklist???

"The passenger started the trip with a "pending" test result, which exposes the loophole that allowed this to happen. Oddly, Hawaii-bound passengers are not required to show their negative test results at mainland airports prior to boarding. Instead, Hawaii's Health Department checks the passengers' test results when they get off the plane in the islands. Which means you can get a test before flying, not know your results when you board and test positive upon arrival."

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...P-CP-Spotlight

JimInOhio Oct 29, 2020 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by 94010flyer (Post 32781744)
Seriously, your checklist to be ready to fly, requires that you " have not received a positive COVID test" rather than requiring that "you have received a negative test result". Who's the idiot who designed that checklist???

"The passenger started the trip with a "pending" test result, which exposes the loophole that allowed this to happen. Oddly, Hawaii-bound passengers are not required to show their negative test results at mainland airports prior to boarding. Instead, Hawaii's Health Department checks the passengers' test results when they get off the plane in the islands. Which means you can get a test before flying, not know your results when you board and test positive upon arrival."

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...P-CP-Spotlight

There's never been a requirement that a passenger prove they're COVID19-free before boarding a domestic flight. Who here could make the claim they were COVID-free before boarding their last domestic flight?

WineCountryUA Oct 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by 94010flyer (Post 32781744)
Seriously, your checklist to be ready to fly, requires that you " have not received a positive COVID test" rather than requiring that "you have received a negative test result". ....

There is no requirement of a negative COVID test before flying by any airline. And for Hawai'i, there is no prohibition arriving testing positive, it does mean you must quarantine

Sure it is common sense and CDC guidelines you should not board knowingly positive but with 40% asymptomatic it will happen until mandatory pre-flight testing is required -- which it is not except for this new UA Launches World's First Free Transatlantic COVID-19 Testing pilot program. Maybe this will become the future of travel.