Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrading an itinerary with PlusPoints AND Miles?

Old Oct 17, 20, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus

Hi all - my wife and I are planning to fly to BOM in a few months. I'm trying to figure out the optimal upgrade route for both of us. We will have 40 PlusPoints available, and we can also draw on my mileage balance to make upgrades. Will United allow us to use PlusPoints to upgrade one of our tickets and miles to upgrade the other? Any advice on the best way to secure business class upgrades for both of us?

Thanks all!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 17, 20, 6:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mspflyer3 View Post
Hi all - my wife and I are planning to fly to BOM in a few months. I'm trying to figure out the optimal upgrade route for both of us. We will have 40 PlusPoints available, and we can also draw on my mileage balance to make upgrades. Will United allow us to use PlusPoints to upgrade one of our tickets and miles to upgrade the other? ..
If on a common PNR, all passengers must use the same method of upgrading in each direction.

You can use miles for one direction of travel and pluspoints for the other. But you can not use miles for one passenger and pluspoints for the other. You will have to convert to separate PNRs and risk one being upgraded and not the other.

40 PlusPoints is only enough for 1 passenger in one direction -- so not usable on a common PNR.

Originally Posted by mspflyer3 View Post
Any advice on the best way to secure business class upgrades for both of us? ...
If focusing on a particular flight, the most important factor is status, then the fare class purchase. Purchasing PremiumPlus (Premium Economy) gives you the best chance as PremPlus has priority over status passengers in Economy.

Getting a GS elite sponsor your upgrade will enhance your chances.

EWR-BOM historically has been a difficult upgrade, not sure what it is nowadays
Old Oct 18, 20, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
you can split the PNR and then use +Ps for one and miles for the other pax, that's not a problem. Would only do this if PZ is available.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: