Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Commuting FA in Tears; GA Didn't Want to Give Her Empty F Seat With No Y Available

Commuting FA in Tears; GA Didn't Want to Give Her Empty F Seat With No Y Available

Old Oct 14, 20, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
But couldn't the GA have op-upped a Y passenger to open up a Y seat for the commuting FA? That seemed to me like a potentially easy solution that would not have required crew intervention. (Of course, I realize that too has potential complications, e.g., no guarantee the selected Y passenger wants to move, adds additional time to close departure door, etc.)
GAs can do anything, but that doesn't mean the rules permit it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 14, 20, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Continited View Post
I’ve seen 1D/F blocked on narrowbody flights for social distancing, where one FA sits there rather than in the front junpseat with another FA.
I am 95% sure 1CD is blocked out on this equipment.

I recently flew BNA-ORD on an E175 and myself and my travel companion had cleared into 2A/4A and 1CD were empty. I asked if we could switch to 1CD and the FA said those seats were blocked for social distancing reasons.

This also explains the GA asking if it was OK with the crew, since the blocking would be for the FA's protection.

It is possible only 1C is blocked.
SPN Lifer and fezzington like this.
Old Oct 15, 20, 8:56 am

Programs: EK gold for 2020,UA 1K
i was chatting it up with a ua mainline gate agent in houston and showed her this post....she said that uax aircraft crj200 and erj170/175 and ua mainline 737 have "hard blocked" ....seats 1c/d on uax crj200,erj170/175 and 1e/f on the 737 can not be used(hard blocked) and on the 319/320 1 b/e can be used if needed(soft blocked) the reason she said that uax seats are blocked is that the distance from the galley to row 1 is relatively short and thats why those seats are hard blocked and on the 737 there are 2 f/a seated in the forward jumpseat so on takeoff and landing they can be socially distanced.....commuting f/a if she was in fact commuting to work should have planned better so that would not have happened.
Old Oct 15, 20, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by cosflyer View Post
i was chatting it up with a ua mainline gate agent in houston and showed her this post....she said that uax aircraft crj200 and erj170/175 and ua mainline 737 have "hard blocked" ....seats 1c/d on uax crj200,erj170/175 and 1e/f on the 737 can not be used(hard blocked) and on the 319/320 1 b/e can be used if needed(soft blocked) the reason she said that uax seats are blocked is that the distance from the galley to row 1 is relatively short and thats why those seats are hard blocked and on the 737 there are 2 f/a seated in the forward jumpseat so on takeoff and landing they can be socially distanced.....commuting f/a if she was in fact commuting to work should have planned better so that would not have happened.
Thanks for sharing and it explains what happened. For practical purposes, the GA must have asked the crew if they were okay with removing the hard block on the Row 1 seat so the FA could get onboard. That makes much more sense than the GA simply saying you can't fly because you're not allowed in F.
Old Oct 15, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cosflyer View Post
she said that uax aircraft crj200 and erj170/175 and ua mainline 737 have "hard blocked" ....seats
Every seat on the CRJ-200 is a hard block!
nnn, st530, DELee and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 20, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 2.8MM, AAdvantage, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
Thanks for sharing and it explains what happened. For practical purposes, the GA must have asked the crew if they were okay with removing the hard block on the Row 1 seat so the FA could get onboard. That makes much more sense than the GA simply saying you can't fly because you're not allowed in F.
That would indeed make sense, but it's inconsistent with what the commuting FA told the attending FA (of course, it's possible the commuting FA misunderstood the GA's reasons for not wanting to board her).

Also, looking at 6071 today, for example, F is booked full and one of the upgrades is into 1C. (Tomorrow it says one blocked.)

Last edited by st530; Oct 15, 20 at 2:34 pm
Old Oct 15, 20, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 2.8MM, AAdvantage, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
GAs can do anything, but that doesn't mean the rules permit it.
Do the rules permit an op-up into F to open a NRSA seat in Y?
Old Oct 15, 20, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I suspect LarryJ is correct. She listed for Y but Y checked in full and GA cannot technically seat in her F, since it requires a fee (or payroll deduction for UA active employees). GA could get in trouble for making exceptions. About a decade ago when I was on a buddy pass IAD-FRA, J had checked in full, F was 2/8 (777-200), but because I had not listed in F (at the time, buddies could not list in F on three-cabin planes), I had to sit in Y. Sad, but that's the deal.
Old Oct 15, 20, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by raehl311 View Post
It is possible only 1C is blocked.
1D is not blocked on UAX 2-cabin a/c. Only 1C is blocked.

I agree LarryJ had the full explanation here. The commuting FA had not properly listed for F, and by the rules the GA could not clear her into F (or even op-up a rev pax for space in Y).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: