Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest starting IAH/ORD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
Southwest reveals five destinations and timing for their ORD entrance. IAH and HOU are not on the list.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...re/6054800002/
Old Oct 28, 2020, 1:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Southwest reveals five destinations and timing for their ORD entrance. IAH and HOU are not on the list.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...re/6054800002/
Southwest, which offers more than 200 daily flights from Midway and dominates the airport, plans to start with 20 daily nonstop flights from O'Hare to five cities: Baltimore; Nashville, Tennessee; Dallas Love Field; Denver and Phoenix. Southwest has big operations in each.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 28, 2020 at 11:44 pm Reason: repair quote
Old Oct 28, 2020, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DEN does touch UA though.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:37 pm

So, while it likely hurts American and United on ORD-BWI and ORD-BNA or ORD-[Southwest large focus city[, there might be a silver lining for United and American.

Southwest used to keep higher frequencies into MDW which helped boost connections as a "hub".

I looked at Southwest's April schedule and service like PHL-MDW, BOS-MDW and LGA-MDW are still relatively low, while it is adding service into its core hub in the east, BWI via ORD and these other new additions.

If MDW-west/southwest routes wind end up decreasing in frequency as well, while ORD-west/southwest cities are added, it makes Southwest even less able to support routes like PHL-MDW, LGA-MDW and BOS-MDW, as many were flying into MDW and then connecting beyond.

So, it can be more dominant on Baltimore-Chicago, but be even less relevant on other eastern cities-MDW where Southwest is already less relevant.

So, a retaliation by United and American might not be start OAK, but drive Southwest off of MDW-PHL, MDW-BOS and diminish it on MDW-LGA.

Last edited by beyondhere; Oct 29, 2020 at 3:45 pm
Old Oct 29, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by beyondhere
So, while it likely hurts American and United on ORD-BWI and ORD-BNA or ORD-[Southwest large focus city[, there might be a silver lining for United and American.

Southwest used to keep higher frequencies into MDW which helped boost connections as a "hub".

I looked at Southwest's April schedule and service like PHL-MDW, BOS-MDW and LGA-MDW are still relatively low, while it is adding service into its core hub in the east, BWI via ORD and these other new additions.

If MDW-west/southwest routes wind end up decreasing in frequency as well, while ORD-west/southwest cities are added, it makes Southwest even less able to support routes like PHL-MDW, LGA-MDW and BOS-MDW, as many were flying into MDW and then connecting beyond.

So, it can be more dominant on Baltimore-Chicago, but be even less relevant on other eastern cities-MDW where Southwest is already less relevant.

So, a retaliation by United and American might not be start OAK, but drive Southwest off of MDW-PHL, MDW-BOS and diminish it on MDW-LGA.
The comment by Southwest is they’re about out of capacity at MDW so I take their ORD entrance as Chicago expansion, not airport shifting. Bottom line, UA and AA must be considering this as a true threat.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Multiple friends with Companion status or whatever it’s called and silver or gold on UA. They all prefer Southwest when possible. UA is for international travel and Hawaii before the world turned upside down...
Even with Plat/1K for most of the last decade I still prefer WN for nonstops < 2 hours. Free upgrades from SFO are rare, so I'll gladly trade E+ if I can catch a more convenient nonstop from OAK. However WN is almost always more expensive for international and I would never survive the Hawaii flight in E-

Originally Posted by CALMSP
agreed, would really like to see OAK come back with DEN/LAX/IAH
Don't forget ORD! I personally hope this will incent UA to resume the oilman special (OAK-IAH) though that seems unlikely as UA prefers just to load up SFO-IAH flights which offer potential connections at both ends.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.