Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CommonPass Digital Health Pass -- United Airlines to Participate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

The Commons Project Foundation and the World Economic Forum today announced international trials starting this week for CommonPass, a digital health pass for travellers to securely document their certified COVID-19 test status while keeping their health data private. United Airlines is one of the pilot airlines.

Press release here.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 4:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
so-called, COVID passports some have been discussing for months
Old Oct 7, 2020, 5:29 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
It looks like all United needs for this is a QR code reader. What really matters is if and how various countries' border control accepts and trusts this.
Dublin_rfk and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 6:06 pm
Suspended

I'll be on the United flights to and from Heathrow at the end of the month -- will be interesting to see if / how it is used....
SPN Lifer and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is one of those things which is dependent on a "network effect" by individual sovereign nations (as well as local subdivisions), carriers and, of course, passengers themselves. If it becomes generally accepted, people will use it. But, to do that, infrastructure will have to be there.

The key is that, just as it has always been, it is 100% on each passenger to assure that they have, in hand, all required documentation for entry and that they have it in a form permitted or required.

The current situation is untenable and a return to "normal" means that a system such as this has to come to pass.
SPN Lifer and JNelson113 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Sounds like a good idea for storage of data regarding vaccination data, but use with COVID test results is of limited use knowing how infectious the virus is, and how long it takes to getting a positive test after infection. Positive test obvious means no travel, but negative test isn't necessarily accurate had infection just occured. Not the golden pass peiople think it is.

Jiburi
cbourl likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi
Sounds like a good idea for storage of data regarding vaccination data, but use with COVID test results is of limited use knowing how infectious the virus is, and how long it takes to getting a positive test after infection. Positive test obvious means no travel, but negative test isn't necessarily accurate had infection just occured. Not the golden pass peiople think it is.

Jiburi
not to mention, I’d guess this is going to cause a huge issue with mask compliance while they are required. You’re going to have some version of the ‘but I just tested negative, I don’t need to wear a mask’ argument.
FriendlySkies and jasonp622 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
How do I get this CommonPass app and whose COVID-19 test do I take? I already had to take a saliva based COVID-19 test in order to move forward with oral surgery earlier this year. I certainly don't mind taking the test again.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very happy for UA to support this initiative. Anything to ameliorate current international business travel helps!
SPN Lifer and JNelson113 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Another measure to help make potential customers feel better about travel but with questionable effectiveness. More theater.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eng3
Another measure to help make potential customers feel better about travel but with questionable effectiveness.
Never underestimate the psychological aspect.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA EXP, AS MVP75K GOLD, HHonors Diamond, BW Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
It looks like Cathay Pacific is the first airline to do trials according to this post I found. The project wants to expand from 4 destinations to 15 additional countries in the next few months. American Express and Collinson (parent company of Priority Pass airport lounge program) are backers as well as Rockefeller Foundation.

Clearly, the major point regarding standardization is a necessity for real travel to resume.

Does this have a good chance of saving the travel industry in the short term?

Last edited by laptoptravel; Oct 13, 2020 at 1:27 am
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:40 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by laptoptravel
Clearly, they major point regarding standardization is a necessity for real travel to resume.

Does this have a good chance of saving the travel industry in the short term?
I don't know of many people canceling their travel plans because their COVID test results aren't standardized. The main problem seems to be that most countries simply aren't allowing visitors in even if they test negative, or still requiring quarantine/isolation with a negative test.

Maybe governments will change their minds when they see that it's possible to put your results into a QR code, but probably not as quickly as CommonPass thinks it will.
laptoptravel likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
All true but this will come into its own in countries, and between countries, where infection rates are already low. In such a case, the chance of any individual having COVID is already very low. The chances of the test providing a false negative very low. The chance of an individual contracting COVID between test and flight is extremely low. Whilst you have to add those chances together, and multiply by the number of people on the plane, you still end up with a very low chance - low enough not to concern the arrival country and low enough for other travellers to feel comfortable taking the risk.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
All true but this will come into its own in countries, and between countries, where infection rates are already low. In such a case, the chance of any individual having COVID is already very low. The chances of the test providing a false negative very low. The chance of an individual contracting COVID between test and flight is extremely low. Whilst you have to add those chances together, and multiply by the number of people on the plane, you still end up with a very low chance - low enough not to concern the arrival country and low enough for other travellers to feel comfortable taking the risk.
Depends on the approach of the arrival country. Some countries have a higher concern (and thus more restrictive policies) than others. For example, I can see this getting widespread adoption between the US and the UK, two countries that have done a <sarcasm on> fabulous job <sarcasm off> of dealing with the pandemic. I doubt New Zealand or Australia will be adopting it any time soon... Oz politicians already talking about no entry in 2021, QR code or not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.